- Volume 21 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
The Difference in Tear Film Stability between Normal and Dry Eyes by Wearing Clear and Circle Contact Lenses made of the Same Materials
동일 재질의 투명 및 써클콘택트렌즈 착용 시 정상안과 건성안의 눈물막 안정성 차이
- Lee, Sehee (Dept. of Optometry, Seoul National University of Science and Technology) ;
- Park, Mijung (Dept. of Optometry, Seoul National University of Science and Technology) ;
- Kim, So Ra (Dept. of Optometry, Seoul National University of Science and Technology)
- Received : 2015.11.24
- Accepted : 2016.03.11
- Published : 2016.03.31
Purpose: The aim of this study was to analyze the difference in tear film stability according to the wearing time when wearing clear and circle soft contact lens(circle lens) made of same material. Methods: The clear and circle contact lenses of hilafilcon B and nelfilcon A materials were respectively applied on the subjects classified as normal and dry eyes depending on their tear volume, and their tear film stability was investigated by measuring the non-invasive tear film break-up times, lens centration and the first appearing area of tear breakup after 30 mins and 6 hrs of lens wearing. Results: Non-invasive tear film breakup time significantly reduced with increase of the wearing time for normal and dry eyes when wearing clear and circle contact lenses. The starting ratio of tear film break-up was higher at the peripheral area of clear and circle lenses in all two different materials, and higher at the peripheral area of dry eyes than normal eyes. Starting ratio of tear film break-up was higher at the peripheral area of nelfilcon A lenses compared with hilafilcon B lenses, however, its change with the increase of wearing time showed a different aspect. The number of tear film break-up per unit area when wearing circle lenses of nelfilcon A increased at the central area with the wearing time while its number was higher at the peripheral area when wearing circle lenses of hilafilcon B. The centration of clear lenses made of two materials was closer to pupil compared to circle lenses with the increase of wearing time, however, a larger decentration was shown in dry eyes compared with normal eyes. Conclusions: The research revealed that an effect on tear film stability may be changed by clear lenses as well as circle lenses with coloring process according to the increase of wearing time, and the factors affecting on tear film stability may also vary depending on lens materials. Thus, the appropriate lenses should be selected by the consideration of lens material as well as coloring method/dyes according to the wearers' habit such as daily wearing time and wearing period when trying to wear clear and circle lenses.
목적: 본 연구에서는 동일재질의 투명 및 써클소프트콘택트렌즈(써클렌즈)를 정상안과 건성안에 착용시켰을 때 착용시간 경과에 따른 눈물막 안정성의 차이를 분석하고자 하였다. 방법: 연구대상자를 눈물량에 따라 정상안과 건성안으로 분류한 후 hilafilcon B 재질과 nelfilcon A 재질의 투명 및 써클렌즈를 각각 착용시키고, 렌즈 착용 30분 후, 6시간 후에 비침입성 눈물막 파괴시간, 렌즈중심안정위치, 눈물막깨짐 시작부위를 측정하여 눈물막 안정성의 변화를 알아보였다. 결과: 정상안과 건성안 모두 투명 및 써클콘택트렌즈 착용 시 착용시간경과에 따라 눈물막파괴시간은 통계적으로 유의한 감소를 보였다. 눈물막깨짐 시작 비율은 두 렌즈 모두 투명렌즈보다 써클렌즈의 주변부에서 높았고, 정상안보다는 건성안의 주변부에서 높게 나타났다. Hilafilcon B 재질보다는 nelfilcon A 재질 렌즈의 주변부에서 눈물막깨짐 시작 비율이 높았으나 착용시간경과에 따른 변화는 서로 다른 양상으로 나타났다. 한편, hilafilcon B 재질의 써클렌즈 착용 시 단위면적 당 눈물막깨짐 개수는 모두 주변부에서 많게 나타났던 반면, nelfilcon A 재질 써클렌즈의 경우는 착용시간 경과에 따라 중심부에서의 수가 증가하였다. 또한, 렌즈중심안정위치는 착용시간 경과에 따라 두 재질 모두 써클렌즈에 비해 투명렌즈가 동공중심 가까이에 존재하였으나 정상안에 비해 건성안의 중심이탈이 크게 나타났다. 결론: 본 연구결과 렌즈착용시간이 경과함에 따라 착색공정을 거친 써클렌즈 뿐만 아니라 투명렌즈도 눈물막에 미치는 영향이 달라질 수 있으며, 렌즈재질에 따라 눈물막 안정성에 영향을 주는 요인 또한 달라짐을 알 수 있었다. 따라서 투명 및 써클렌즈를 착용하고자 할 때에는 착용자의 일일착용시간이나 착용기간 등과 같은 사용습관에 따라 렌즈의 착색공법/염료 뿐만 아니라 렌즈 재질 또한 고려하여 적절한 렌즈를 선택하여야 할 것이다.
Supported by : 서울과학기술대학교
- Rosenfield M. Computer vision syndrome: a review of ocular causes and potential treatments. Ophthalmic Physiol Opt. 2011;31(5):502-515. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1475-1313.2011.00834.x
- Zeev MSB, Miller DD, Latkany R. Diagnosis of dry eye disease and emerging technologies. Clin Ophthalmol. 2014;8:581-590.
- Ngo W, Situ P, Keir N, Korb D, Blackie C, Simpson T. Psychometric properties and validation of the Standard Patient Evaluation of Eye Dryness questionnaire. Cornea 2013;32(9):1204-1210. https://doi.org/10.1097/ICO.0b013e318294b0c0
- Listed N. The definition & classification of dry eye disease: report of the Definition and Classification Subcommittee of the International Dry Eye Workshop. Ocul Surf. 2007;5(2):75-92. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1542-0124(12)70081-2
- Lin PY, Tsai SY, Cheng CY, Liu JH, Chou P, Hsu WM. Prevalence of dry eye among an elderly Chinese population in Taiwan: the Shihpai Eye Study. Ophthalmology. 2003;110(6):1096-1101. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0161-6420(03)00262-8
- Lee AJ, Lee J, Saw SM, Gazzard G, Koh D, Widjaja D, Tan DT. Prevalence and risk factors associated with dry eye symptoms: a population based study in Indonesia. Br J Ophthalmol. 2002;86(12):1347-1351. https://doi.org/10.1136/bjo.86.12.1347
- Nichols JJ, Mitchell GL, Nichols KK, Chalmers R, Begley C. The performance of the contact lens dry eye questionnaire as a screening survey for contact lens-related dry eye. Cornea 2002;21(5):469-475. https://doi.org/10.1097/00003226-200207000-00007
- Brennan NA, Efron N. Symptomatology of HEMA contact lens wear. Optom Vis Sci. 1989;66(12):834-838. https://doi.org/10.1097/00006324-198912000-00006
- Lemp MA. Report of the National Eye Institute/Industry workshop on clinical trials in dry eyes. CLAO J. 1995; 21(4):221-232.
- Nichols JJ, Ziegler C, Mitchell GL, Nichols KK. Selfreported dry eye disease across refractive modalities. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci. 2005;46(6):1911-1914. https://doi.org/10.1167/iovs.04-1294
- Optic Weekly. Fifty five percent of Korean wearing glasses and contact lens, 2015. http://opticweekly.com/news/view.php?idx=6994(24 September 2015).
- Kim MJ, Hwang HK, Jang WY. The comparative analysis for the progression of dry eyes caused by wearing soft contact lenses(SCL) and cosmetic soft contact lenses(C-SCL). J Korean Ophthalmic Opt Soc. 2011;16(4):375-381.
- Financial news. An increasing circle and color contact lens popularity in the domestic market, 2013. http://www.fnnews.com/view?ra=Sent0601m_View&corp=fnnews&arcid=201305270200003780013099&cDateYear=2013&cDateMonth=05&cDateDay=24(24 September 2015).
- The Korea Optical News. Is the experiment on dye elution from circle lenses conducted by general publics credible?, 2011. http://www.opticnews.co.kr/news/articleView.html?idxno=18071(24 September 2015).
- Kim DH, Oh SJ, Hwang JH, Sung DY, Jeon IC, Choi HY et al. The analysis of physicochemical properties of cosmetic color contact lenses. Korean J Vis Sci. 2008;10(3):239-259.
- Kim SR, Kang U, Seo BM, Park M. A study on dye elution form the circle contact lenses. J Korean Ophthalmic Opt Soc. 2014;19(2):171-177. https://doi.org/10.14479/jkoos.2014.19.2.171
- Park M, Kwon HL, Choi SA, Kim SR. Changes in subjective/objective symptoms and the light transmissibility of lens associated with overusage of daily disposable circle contact lenses in normal eyes. J Korean Ophthalmic Opt Soc. 2013;18(4):429-439. https://doi.org/10.14479/jkoos.2013.18.4.429
- Lee S, Hyung SM, Koh SH, Park M, Kim SR. The effect of circle contact lens on the stability of tear film. J Korean Ophthalmic Opt Soc. 2015;20(2):125-131. https://doi.org/10.14479/jkoos.2015.20.2.125
- Khanal S, Tomlinson A, McFadyen A, Diaper C, Ramaesh K. Dry Eye Diagnosis. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci. 2008; 49(4):1407-1414. https://doi.org/10.1167/iovs.07-0635
- Pult H, Purslow C, Murphy PJ. The relationship between clinical signs and dry eye symptoms. Eye. 2011;25(4): 502-510. https://doi.org/10.1038/eye.2010.228
- Kim SR, Park SH, Joo S, Lee HR, Park M. A comparison of the movements of circle contact lens and soft contact lens with identical material on cornea. J Korean Ophthalmic Opt Soc. 2012;17(1):27-35.
- Kim SR, Park S, Lee SE, Park M. A comparison of lens centrations on cornea with RGP lens fitting by the measured values using keratometer and corneal topography. J Korean Ophthalmic Opt Soc. 2011;16(1):41-50.
- Park M, Kang SY, Chang JI, Han A, Kim SR. Changes in subjective discomfort, blinking rate, lens centration and the light transmittance of lens Induced by exceeding use of daily disposable circle contact lenses in dry eyes. J Korean Ophthalmic Opt Soc. 2014;19(2): 153-162. https://doi.org/10.14479/jkoos.2014.19.2.153
- Park SH, Kim SR, Park M. The effect of circle lens and soft contact lens with identical material in clinical application on the eyes. J Korean Ophthalmic Opt Soc. 2011;16(2):147-157.
- Meng RF, Mao S, Chapoy L. Contact lens. U.S. Patent 8461226, 2013.
- Campanelli G, B Dietrich. Lens molds with protective coating for production of ophthalmic lenses. U.S. Patent 11/891422, 2008.
- Jung DI, Lim SK, Kim SR, Park M. The comparison of lens movement by the fitting states of soft contact lenses in normal and dry eyes. J Korean Ophthalmic Opt Soc. 2011;16(1):21-30.
- Park M, Yang JH, Kim SM, Park S, Park SH, Kim SR. Changes in centration of contact lenses on cornea and blink rate associated with overusage of disposable lenses. J Korean Ophthalmic Opt Soc. 2008;13(4):51-58.
- Relationship between the Deposition of Tear Constituents and the Adherence of Candida albicans according to Soft Contact Lens Materials and Pigmentation vol.21, pp.3, 2016, https://doi.org/10.14479/jkoos.2016.21.3.215