- Volume 21 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
The Changes in Contrast Sensitivity and Glare Sensitivity when Wearing Circle Contact Lenses after the Refractive Surgery
시력교정술 후 써클콘택트렌즈 착용 시 대비감도 및 눈부심감도 변화
- Kwon, Ki Nam (Dept. of Optometry, Seoul National University of Science and Technology) ;
- Park, Sang Hee (Dept. of Optometry, Kaya University) ;
- Kim, So Ra (Dept. of Optometry, Seoul National University of Science and Technology) ;
- Park, Mijung (Dept. of Optometry, Seoul National University of Science and Technology)
- Received : 2016.02.02
- Accepted : 2016.03.11
- Published : 2016.03.31
Purpose: In the present study, the effect of circle contact lenses wear on contrast sensitivity and glare sensitivity in a refractive surgery group was investigated. Methods: The contrast sensitivity and glare sensitivity were evaluated using by CGT-1000 for a non-refractive surgery group as control group(40 eyes) and a refractive surgery group(30 eyes) applied plano circle contact lenses, and pupil size was also measured. The correlation between contrast/glare sensitivity and the pupil size was analyzed. Results: In the refractive surgery group, contrast sensitivity in the range of high spatial frequency decreased with wearing circle contact lenses, and amount of decrease for the refractive surgery group was larger than for the control group. The correlation between pupil size and the change of contrast sensitivity was decreased by wearing circle contact lenses, and the correlation was lower in the refractive surgery group than the control group. Furthermore, the wear of circle contact lenses affected on glare sensitivity. In analyzing the change of glare sensitivity by pupil size, the glare was larger in the refractive surgery group than control group. Circle contact lenses in refractive surgery group were not fitted on the center of cornea. Conclusions: In the present study, it is suggested that the sufficient understanding and consideration about the decrease of contrast sensitivity and the increase of glare by wearing circle contact lenses after the refractive surgery is necessary.
목적: 본 연구에서는 써클콘택트렌즈의 착용이 시력교정술을 받은 눈에서의 대비감도 및 눈부심감도에 미치는 영향을 알아보고자 하였다. 방법: 시력교정술을 받지 않은 40안과 시력교정술을 받은 30안에 무도수의 써클콘택트렌즈를 착용시킨 후 CGT-1000을 이용하여 대비감도와 눈부심감도를 평가하였으며, 동공크기를 측정하여 대비감도 및 눈부심감도와 동공크기와의 상관관계를 분석하였다. 결과: 시력교정술을 받은 경우 써클콘택트렌즈 착용으로 고영역대 공간주파수에서는 대비감도의 저하가 나타났으며 시력교정술을 받지 않은 군보다 그 정도가 더 크게 나타났다. 써클콘택트렌즈 착용으로 인해 동공크기와 대비감도 변화와의 상관성이 작아졌으며 시력교정술을 받은 군에서 상관성이 더 작아졌다. 또한, 써클콘택트렌즈 착용은 눈부심에 더 크게 영향을 미치는 것으로 나타났으며, 동공크기에 따른 눈부심감도의 변화분석에서도 시력교정술을 받지 않은 군에서 눈부심을 더 크게 느끼는 것으로 나타났다. 시력교정술을 받은 각막에서의 써클콘택트렌즈는 각막의 중심부에 위치하지 못하였다. 결론: 본 연구에서는 시력교정술 후 써클콘택트렌즈 착용으로 인해 대비감도가 저하되며 눈부심이 증가되므로 이에 대한 충분한 이해와 고려가 필요함을 제안한다.
- Lee EJ, Yoon MJ, Kim SH, Yang GT, Jeong JH, Kim HJ et al. Changes of contrast sensitivity with decreasing luminance in photopic conditions. J Korean Ophthalmic Opt Soc. 2012; 17(4):411-417.
- You YC, Choi TH, Lee HB. Normal contrast sensitivity for various ages. J Korean Ophthalmol Soc. 2003;44(1): 150-156.
- Park SL, Moon NJ. The availability of contrast sensitivity in low vision patients. J Korean Ophthalmol Soc. 1998; 39(8):1788-1793.
- Kim CJ, Kim HJ, Kim JM. Comparison of contrast sensitivity at near between functional progressive addition lenses and single vision lenses. J Korean Ophthalmic Opt Soc. 2010;(15)4:381-388.
- Lee MA, Kim HJ, Kim JM. Contrast sensitivity and glare with spherical and toric soft contact lenses in low-astigmatic eyes. J Korean Ophthalmic Opt Soc. 2009;14(1):39-45.
- Kim EA, Koo YJ, Han YB. Contrast sensitivity changes in patients with diabetic retinopathy. J Korean Ophthalmol Soc. 1995;36(9):1523-1528.
- Kim CJ, Choi EJ. Effects of induced dioptric blur on visual acuity and contrast sensitivity. J Korean Ophthalmic Opt Soc. 2014;19(2):261-270. https://doi.org/10.14479/jkoos.2014.19.2.261
- Choi SL, Han KL, Shim HS. Comparison to contrast sensitivity of male and female adults in their 20s. J Korean Ophthalmic Opt Soc. 2014;19(1):87-92. https://doi.org/10.14479/jkoos.2014.19.1.87
- Ohyama J, Sagawa K. The effects of letter design features and aging on legibility. Perception. 2016;pii:0301006616629036.
- Vasudevan B, Sultani K, Cossette C, Burr B. Effect of defocus on response time in different age groups: A pilot study. J Optom. 2015;pii:S1888-4296(15)00098-9. doi: 10.1016/j.optom.2015.11.001. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.optom.2015.11.001
- Richards OW. Effects of luminance and contrast on visual acuity, ages 16 to 90 years. Am J Optom Physiol Opt. 1977;54(3):178-184. https://doi.org/10.1097/00006324-197703000-00010
- Rabin J. Luminance effects on visual acuity and small letter contrast sensitivity. Optom Vis Sci. 1994;71(11):685-688. https://doi.org/10.1097/00006324-199411000-00003
- Tobimatsu S, Kurita-Tashima S, Nakayama-Hiromatsu M, Akazawa K, Kato M. Age-related changes in pattern visual evoked potentials: differential effects of luminance, contrast and check size. Electroencephalogr Clin Neurophysiol. 1993;88(1):12-19. https://doi.org/10.1016/0168-5597(93)90023-I
- Yamauchi T, Tabuchi H, Takase K, Ohsugi H, Ohara Z, Kiuchi Y. Comparison of visual performance of multifocal intraocular lenses with same material monofocal intraocular lenses. PLoS One. 2013;8(6):e68236. https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0068236
- Oh JJ, Choi JS. Clinical results and optical quality of diffractive multifocal intraocular lens. J Korean Ophthalmol Soc. 2015;56(12):1867-1873. https://doi.org/10.3341/jkos.2015.56.12.1867
- Pesudovs K. Takagi Glare Tester CGT-1000 for contrast sensitivity and glare testing in normal individuals and cataract patients. J Refract Surg. 2007;23(5):492-498.
- Reinstein DZ, Carp GI, Lewis TA, Archer TJ, Gobbe M. Outcomes for myopic LASIK with the MEL 90 excimer laser. J Refract Surg. 2015;31(5):316-321. https://doi.org/10.3928/1081597X-20150423-05
- Khalifa MA, Mossallam EF, Massoud TH, Shaheen MS. Comparison of visual outcomes after variable spot scanning ablation versus wavefront-optimized myopic LASIK. J Refract Surg. 2015;31(1):22-28. https://doi.org/10.3928/1081597X-20141218-03
- Holladay JT, Dudeja DR, Chang J. Functional vision and corneal changes after laser in situ keratomileusis determined by contrast sensitivity, glare testing, and corneal topography. J Cataract Refract Surg. 1999;25(5):663-669. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0886-3350(99)00011-5
- Niesen U, Businger U, Hartmann P, Senn P, Schipper I. Glare sensitivity and visual acuity after excimer laser photorefractive keratectomy for myopia. Br J Ophthalmol 1997;81(2):136-140. https://doi.org/10.1136/bjo.81.2.136
- Kwon KN, Kim SR, Park M. The evaluation of visual quality by employing double-pass principle in circle contact lens wearers after refractive surgery. J Korean Ophthalmic Opt Soc. 2015;20(3):277-284. https://doi.org/10.14479/jkoos.2015.20.3.277
- Gupta N, Naroo SA, Wolffsohn JS. Visual comparison of multifocal contact lens to monovision. Optom Vis Sci. 2009;86(2):E98-E105. https://doi.org/10.1097/OPX.0b013e318194eb18
- Fernandes PR, Neves HI, Lopes-Ferreira DP, Jorge JM, Gonzlez-Meijome JM. Adaptation to multifocal and monovision contact lens correction. Optom Vis Sci. 2013;90(3): 228-235. https://doi.org/10.1097/OPX.0b013e318282951b
- Sia RK, Ryan DS, Stutzman RD, Pasternak JF, Eaddy JB, Logan LA et al. Wavefront-guided versus wavefront-optimized photorefractive keratectomy: Clinical outcomes and patient satisfaction. J Cataract Refract Surg. 2015;41(10): 2152-2164. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jcrs.2015.10.054
- Liu M, Chen Y, Wang D, Zhou Y, Zhang X, He J et al. Clinical outcomes after SMILE and femtosecond laserassisted LASIK for myopia and myopic astigmatism: A prospective randomized comparative study. Cornea. 2016;35(2): 210-216. https://doi.org/10.1097/ICO.0000000000000707
- Jung JW, Kim SM, Han SH, Kim EK, Seo KY, Kim TI. Effect of the pigment-free optical zone diameter of decorative tinted soft contact lenses on visual function. Br J Ophthalmol. 2015;pii: bjophthalmol-2015-306731. doi: 10.1136/bjophthalmol.2015:306731.
- Hiraoka T, Ishii Y, Okamoto F, Oshika T. Influence of cosmetically tinted soft contact lenses on higher-order wavefront aberrations and visual performance. Graefes Arch Clin Exp Ophthalmol. 2009;247(2):225-233. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00417-008-0973-6
- Ortiz C, Jimnez R. Optical quality and vision with iris-coloring soft contact lenses. Optom Vis Sci. 2014;91(5):564-569. https://doi.org/10.1097/OPX.0000000000000212
- Dutt S, Steinert RF, Raizman MB, Puliafito CA. One-year results of excimer laser photorefractive keratectomy for low to moderate myopia. Arch Ophthalmol. 1994; 112(11): 1427-1436. https://doi.org/10.1001/archopht.1994.01090230041018
- Niesen UM, Businger U, Schipper I. Disability glare after excimer laser photorefractive keratectomy for myopia. J Refract Surg. 1996;12(2):S267-S268.
- Choi KD, Park HB, Lee DH. The evaluation of contrast sensitivity and glare after LASIK using flying spot mode laser according to pupil diameter and refractive error. J Korean Ophthalmol Soc. 2002;43(12):2391-2400.
- Gatinel D, Saad A, Guilbert E, Rouger H. Simultaneous correction of unilateral rainbow glare and residual astigmatism by undersurface flap photoablation after femtosecond laser-assisted LASIK. J Refract Surg. 2015;31(6): 406-410. https://doi.org/10.3928/1081597X-20150521-07
- Bamashmus MA, Hubaish K, Alawad M, Alakhlee H. Functional outcome and patient satisfaction after laser in situ keratomileusis for correction of myopia and myopic astigmatism. Middle East Afr J Ophthalmol. 2015;22(1):108-114. https://doi.org/10.4103/0974-9233.148359
- Ganesh S, Gupta R. Comparison of visual and refractive outcomes following femtosecond laser-assisted lasik with smile in patients with myopia or myopic astigmatism. J Refract Surg. 2014;30(9):590-596. https://doi.org/10.3928/1081597X-20140814-02
- The Analysis of Optical Quality in Central Serous Chorioretinopathy by OQAS vol.21, pp.3, 2016, https://doi.org/10.14479/jkoos.2016.21.3.281
- Evaluation of Visual Function under Mesopic Conditions in Individuals Wearing Cosmetic Soft Contact Lenses vol.23, pp.4, 2018, https://doi.org/10.14479/jkoos.2018.23.4.351