- Volume 15 Issue 5
DOI QR Code
Thermal Characterization of Individual Pixels in Microbolometer Image Sensors by Thermoreflectance Microscopy
- Ryu, Seon Young (Division of Scientific Instrumentation, Korea Basic Science Institute) ;
- Choi, Hae Young (Division of Scientific Instrumentation, Korea Basic Science Institute) ;
- Kim, Dong Uk (Division of Scientific Instrumentation, Korea Basic Science Institute) ;
- Kim, Geon Hee (Division of Scientific Instrumentation, Korea Basic Science Institute) ;
- Kim, Taehyun (National NanoFab Center) ;
- Kim, Hee Yeoun (National NanoFab Center) ;
- Chang, Ki Soo (Division of Scientific Instrumentation, Korea Basic Science Institute)
- Received : 2015.04.21
- Accepted : 2015.09.21
- Published : 2015.10.30
Thermal characterization of individual pixels in microbolometer infrared image sensors is needed for optimal design and improved performance. In this work, we used thermoreflectance microscopy on uncooled microbolometer image sensors to investigate the thermal characteristics of individual pixels. Two types of microbolometer image sensors with a shared-anchor structure were fabricated and thermally characterized at various biases and vacuum levels by measuring the temperature distribution on the surface of the microbolometers. The results show that thermoreflectance microscopy can be a useful thermal characterization tool for microbolometer image sensors.
Supported by : Korea Basic Science Institute, National Research Council, MKE (Ministry of Knowledge Economy)
- J. L. Tissot, "IR detection with uncooled focal plane arrays. State of the art and trends," Opto-Electron. Rev., vol. 12, no. 1, pp.105-109, 2004.
- R. K. Bhan, R. S. Saxena, C. R. Jalwania, and S. K. Lomash, "Uncooled Infrared Microbolometer Arrays and their Characterisation Techniques," Def. Sci. J., vol. 59, no. 6, pp.580-589, 2009. https://doi.org/10.14429/dsj.59.1562
- F. Niklaus, C. Vieider, and H. Jakobsen, "MEMSbased uncooled infrared bolometer arrays - A Review," Proc. of SPIE vol. 6836, p.68360D, 2007.
- J. J. Yon, E. Mottin, and J. L. Tissot, "Latest amorphous silicon microbolometer developments at LETI-LIR," Proc. of SPIE vol. 6940, p.69401W, 2008.
- P. Eriksson, J. Y. Andersson, and G. Stemme, "Thermal characterization of surface-micromachined silicon nitride membranes for thermal infrared detectors," J. Microelectromech. Syst., vol. 6, no. 1, pp. 55-61, 1997. https://doi.org/10.1109/84.557531
- A. J. Syllaios, Miranda J. Ha, William L. McCardel, Thomas R. Schimert, "Measurement of thermal time constant of microbolometer arrays," Proc. of SPIE vol.5783, pp. 625-630, 2005.
- S. Han, C. H. Chun, C. S. Han and S. M. Park, "Parameterized simulation program with integrated circuit emphasis modeling of two-level microbolometer," J. of Electr. Eng. Technol., vol. 6, no. 2, pp. 270-274, 2011. https://doi.org/10.5370/JEET.2011.6.2.270
- G. Bieszczad and M. Kastek, "Measurement of thermal behavior of detector array surface with the use of microscopic thermal camera," Metrol. Meas. Syst. vol. 18, no. 4, pp. 679-690, 2011.
- M. Farzaneh, K. Maize, D. LuerBen, J. A. Summers, P. M. Mayer, P. E. Raad, K. P. Pipe, A. Shakouri, R. J. Ram, J. A. Hudgings, "CCD-based thermoreflectance microscopy: principles and applications," J. Phys. D: Appl. Phys. vol. 42, p. 143001, 2009. https://doi.org/10.1088/0022-3727/42/14/143001
- S. Y. Ryu, D. U. Kim, J. K. Kim, H. Y. Choi, G. H. Kim and K. S. Chang, "Surface temperature measurement and submicron defect isolation for microelectronic devices using thermoreflectance microscopy", Int. J. Thermophys., online first, 2014.
- J. I. Kim, K. S. Chang, D. U. Kim, I.-T. Cho, C.-Y. Jeong, D. Lee, H.-I. Kwon, S. Jin, and J.-H. Lee, "Thermoreflectance microscopy analysis on selfheating effect of short-channel amorphous In-Ga-Zn-O thin film transistors", Appl. Phys. Lett., vol. 105, p. 043501, 2014. https://doi.org/10.1063/1.4891644
- T. Kim, K. Kyung, J. H. Park, Y. S. Kim, S. K. Lim, K. Kim, K. Lee, H. Y. Kim, C. Welham, "Development of microbolometer with high fill factor and high mechanical stability by sharedanchor structure," Proc. of SPIE, vol. 8353, p. 83531B, 2012.
- S. Garcia-Blanco, P. Topart, Y. Desroches, J.S. Caron, F. Williamson, C. Alain, H. Jerominek, "Low-temperature vacuum hermetic wafer-level package for uncooled microbolometer FPAs," Proc. of SPIE, vol. 6884, p.68840P, 2008.