- Volume 17 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
A Case of a Huge Mass Due to Pleural Metastasis and Management of Dyspnea in a Patient with Terminal Breast Cancer
말기 유방암 환자에서 발생한 흉막 전이에 의한 거대 종양 1예와 호흡곤란의 치료
- Lee, Na Ri (Department of Internal Medicine, Chonbuk National University Medical School)
- 이나리 (전북대학교 의학전문대학원 내과학교실)
- Received : 2014.01.09
- Accepted : 2014.04.16
- Published : 2014.06.01
Pleural metastasis from breast cancer is a common manifestation. While pleural effusion is the most frequent finding, it is relatively rare for pleural nodularity and plaque that do not accompany pleural effusion. We report a patient with a rapidly growing huge pleural mass without pleural effusion caused by breast cancer. The patient was treated for severe dyspnea caused by the pleural mass. Along with the case report, we performed a systematic review of management of dyspnea in terminal cancer patients.
- Jung JI, Kim HH, Park SH, Song SW, Chung MH, Kim HS, et al. Thoracic manifestations of breast cancer and its therapy. Radiographics 2004;24:1269-85. https://doi.org/10.1148/rg.245035062
- Kuwabara H, Tsuji H, Inada Y, Shibayama Y. Malignant pleural mesothelioma forming a huge mediastinal mass and causing atrial fibrillation. Indian J Pathol Microbiol 2012;55:513-5. https://doi.org/10.4103/0377-4929.107794
- Chang JC, Su KY, Chao SF, Hsu YH, Yang GG, Chang BS. Hypoglycemia in a patient with a huge malignant solitary fibrous tumor of the pleura. Pathol Int 2007;57:791-3. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1440-1827.2007.02175.x
- Demura S, Kawahara N, Murakami H, Akamaru T, Kato S, Oda M, et al. Giant cell tumor expanded into the thoracic cavity with spinal involvement. Orthopedics 2012;35:e453-6.
- Pandit S, Mukherjee S, Bhattacharya S, Dattachaudhuri A, Bhuniya S, Deb J, et al. A rare mediastinal tumour in a young male mimicking massive pleural effusion. Lung India 2012;29:66-9. https://doi.org/10.4103/0970-2113.92368
- Wang W, Quan CB, Li N, Wang XJ, Song JY, Jia SL, et al. Diagnosis of pleural cavity extraskeletal osteosarcoma: a case report and literature review. Zhonghua Jie He He Hu Xi Za Zhi 2010;33:202-5.
- Miyazaki H, Goto A, Hino R, Ota S, Okudaira R, Murakawa T, et al. Pleural cavity angiosarcoma arising in chronic expanding hematoma after pneumonectomy. Hum Pathol 2011;42:1576-9. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.humpath.2010.06.019
- Gasiorowski L, Dyszkiewicz W, Piwkowski CT. An unusual case of giant primary mediastinal liposarcoma. Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 2009;57:247-8. https://doi.org/10.1055/s-2008-1039056
- Castellani C, Di Bella I, Duranti M, Corgna E, Giovenali P, Ragni T, et al. Single cardiac metastasis from colorectal cancer: an unusual localization. G Ital Cardiol (Rome) 2013;14:474-6.
- Gamborg H, Riis J, Christrup L, Krantz T. Effect of intraoral and subcutaneous morphine on dyspnea at rest in terminal patients with primary lung cancer or lung metastases. J Opioid Manag 2013;9:269-74.
- Ben-Aharon I, Gafter-Gvili A, Paul M, Leibovici L, Stemmer SM. Interventions for alleviating cancer-related dyspnea: a systematic review. J Clin Oncol 2008;26:2396-404. https://doi.org/10.1200/JCO.2007.15.5796
- Man GC, Hsu K, Sproule BJ. Effect of alprazolam on exercise and dyspnea in patients with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. Chest 1986;90:832-6. https://doi.org/10.1378/chest.90.6.832
- Navigante AH, Cerchietti LC, Castro MA, Lutteral MA, Cabalar ME. Midazolam as adjunct therapy to morphine in the alleviation of severe dyspnea perception in patients with advanced cancer. J Pain Symptom Manage 2006;31:38-47. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jpainsymman.2005.06.009
- Ben-Aharon I, Gafter-Gvili A, Leibovici L, Stemmer SM. Interventions for alleviating cancer-related dyspnea: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Acta Oncol 2012;51:996-1008. https://doi.org/10.3109/0284186X.2012.709638
- Campbell ML, Yarandi H, Dove-Medows E. Oxygen is nonbeneficial for most patients who are near death. J Pain Symptom Manage 2013;45:517-23. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jpainsymman.2012.02.012
- Nava S, Ferrer M, Esquinas A, Scala R, Groff P, Cosentini R, et al. Palliative use of non-invasive ventilation in end-of-life patients with solid tumours: a randomised feasibility trial. Lancet Oncol 2013;14:219-27. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1470-2045(13)70009-3
- Hwang IC, Lee MK, Kim KK, Lee KS, Suh HS. Applying inhaled furosemide for refractory breathlessness in terminally ill cancer patients - based on seminar of palliative medicine research group, the Korean academy of family medicine-. Korean J Hosp Palliat Care 2010;13:252-6.
- McIver B, Walsh D, Nelson K. The use of chlorpromazine for symptom control in dying cancer patients. J Pain Symptom Manage 1994;9:341-5. https://doi.org/10.1016/0885-3924(94)90193-7
- Thomas JR, von Gunten CF. Clinical management of dyspnoea. Lancet Oncol 2002;3:223-8. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1470-2045(02)00713-1
- Bredin M, Corner J, Krishnasamy M, Plant H, Bailey C, A'Hern R. Multicentre randomised controlled trial of nursing intervention for breathlessness in patients with lung cancer. BMJ 1999;318:901-4. https://doi.org/10.1136/bmj.318.7188.901
- Maltoni M, Scarpi E, Rosati M, Derni S, Fabbri L, Martini F, et al. Palliative sedation in end-of-life care and survival: a systematic review. J Clin Oncol 2012;30:1378-83. https://doi.org/10.1200/JCO.2011.37.3795