- Volume 19 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
A study on Aging Knowledge, Attitudes and Awareness about Supporting the Aged in Undergraduate Students
대학생의 노화 지식, 노인에 대한 태도 및 노인 부양 의식
- Yang, Ya Ki (Department of Nursing, Wonkwang University)
- 양야기 (원광대학교 간호학과)
- Received : 2013.06.07
- Accepted : 2013.09.10
- Published : 2013.11.30
Purpose: This study was conducted to investigate the relationship of aging knowledge, attitudes and awareness about supporting the aged in undergraduate students. Method: The participants were 385 undergraduate students in H University in G city. Data were collected from March 1 to April 30, 2012, and analyzed using SPSS/WIN 18.0. Results: The mean of the aging knowledge score was 51.40, the mean of aging attitudes score was 3.06, and the mean of awareness about supporting the aged score was 4.11. Awareness about supporting the aged showed a positive correlation with aging knowledge (r=.299, p<.001). Awareness about supporting the aged showed a positive correlation with aging attitudes (r=.244, p<.001). Conclusion: The findings of this study indicate a need to develop programs for undergraduate students to increase correct aging knowledge, to encourage appropriate aging attitudes and awareness about supporting the aged. In addition, the need for further studies to examine effects of programs are needed.
- Back, J. U., & Kim, M. J. (2009). A Study on the undergraduates' awareness of caregiving for the elderly. Korean Journal of Clinical Social Work, 6(3), 67-85.
- Cho, Y. J., & Lee, S. H. (2004). College students' perception of emotional tie with their parents and attitudes toward parent caregiving. Journal of Korean Home Management Association, 22(3), 63-74. http://dx.doi.org/
- Choi, S. A., Cheong, J. H., Cho, S. J., & Jin, S. M. (2009). The effects of voluntary activities attitude and contentment of university students toward the elderly on awareness of supporting, and the mediating effects of attitude toward the elderly. Journal of Welfare for the Aged, 46, 239-261.
- Chung, S. D., & Jung, Y. K. (2012). Public perceptions of aging korean society and the influencing factors. Journal of the korean Gerontological Society, 32(2), 541-557.
- Cottle, N. R., & Glover, R. J. (2007). Combating ageism: change in student knowledge and attitudes regarding aging. Educational Gerontology, 33(6), 501-512. http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/03601270701328318 https://doi.org/10.1080/03601270701328318
- Edwards, M. J. J., & Aldous, I. R. (1996). Attitudes to and knowledge about elderly people: a comparative analysis of students of medicine, english and computer science and their teachers. Medical Education, 30(3), 221-225. http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2923.1996.tb00746.x https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2923.1996.tb00746.x
- Faul, F., Erdfelder, E., Lang, A. G., & Buchner, A. (2007). G*power 3.: A flexible statistical power analysis for the social, behavioral, and biomedical sciences. Behavior Research Methods, 39(2), 175-191. https://doi.org/10.3758/BF03193146
- Ha, K. Y., & Hong, D. A. G. (2002). Effect of grandchildren's solidarity with their grandparents on caring attitude for the elderly. Korean Journal of Human Ecology, 11(2), 107-121.
- Han, J. R., Ryu, H. S., & Kim, G. J. (2007). Undergraduate students' knowledge about aging and attitudes toward the elderly. The Journal of Vocational Education Research, 26(3), 121-139.
- Harris, L. A., & Dollinger, S. (2001). Participation in a course on aging: knowledge, attitudes, and anxiety about aging in oneself and others. Educational Gerontology, 27(8), 657-667. http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/036012701317117893 https://doi.org/10.1080/036012701317117893
- Jeon, H. S., & Kwon, K. J. (2009). Knowledge and attitude toward the elderly of the cyber university students. Journal of Welfare for the Aged, 43, 203-226.
- Jeon, J. S. (2012). The effect of the home self-esteem on the attitudes of care-giving for the elderly in christian college & university students -centering around spiritual well-being and anxiety as mediators-, Faith & Scholarship, 17(3), 271-292.
- Joo, K. B., & Kim, K. B. (2008). A study of care burden, burnout, and quality of life among family caregivers for the elderly. Journal of Korean Academy of Womens Health Nursing, 14(4), 276-289. http://dx.doi.org/10.4069/kjwhn.2008.14.4.278 https://doi.org/10.4069/kjwhn.2008.14.4.278
- Kang, J. S., Jung, D. Y., & Kim, Y. Y. (2009). Women university students' supporting awareness, knowledge and attitude toward the elderly. Journal of the Korean Gerontological Society, 29(3), 851-865.
- Kim, S. G., & Lim, H. Y. (2007). The effect of a senior simulation program on juveniles' knowledge and attitudes toward the elderly. Journal of Welfare for the Aged, 37, 225-248.
- Lee, J. H., Ahn, Y. S., & Yune, S. J. (2007). The effects of living experiences with the elderly and leaning about the elderly to knowledge of aging process and anxiety about aging process in undergraduate students. Journal of the Korean Gerontological Society, 27(2), 345-355.
- Lee, S. S., & Sonia, S. (2005). Korean and american undergraduate students' knowledge and attitudes toward elderly and aging. Journal of Family Relations, 10(3), 195-218.
- Lim, Y. O., Ryu, S. H., & Seok, J. E. (2011). Experience process of the undergraduates` aging simulation game. Journal of Welfare for the Aged, 54, 263-284.
- Linda, J. A., & James, A. J. (2008). Undergraduate attitudes toward the elderly: The role of knowledge, contact and aging anxiety. Educational Gerontology, 35(1), 1-14. http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/03601270802299780 https://doi.org/10.1080/03601270802299780
- Mary E. K., Gary D. S., Bernard E. W. J., & Blair T. J. (2005). Attitudes toward younger and older adults: An updated meta-analytic review. Journal of Social Issues, 61(2), 241-266. http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/j.1540-4560.2005.00404.x https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1540-4560.2005.00404.x
- Palmore, E. B. (1977). The facts of aging quiz. The gerontologist, 17(4), 315-320. https://doi.org/10.1093/geront/17.4.315
- Park, A. Y., & Kim, K. H. (2010). Training effectiveness and behavior towards the elderly of caregiver trainees. Journal of Korean Academy of Adult Nursing, 22(2), 200-210.
- Park, I. J., Choi, W. S., & Kim, A. H. (2008). The Effects of undergraduate`s optimism and family-control on their awareness of caregiving for the elderly. Korean Journal of Human Ecology, 17(1), 13-26. https://doi.org/10.5934/KJHE.2008.17.1.013
- Park, K. R., & Lee, Y. S. (2001). Stereotypes of the elderly held by university students. Journal of the Korean Gerontological Society, 21(2), 71-83.
- Park, K. Y. (2007). Rational emotive behavioral therapy. Seoul, Hakgisa.
- Park, M. G. (2009). Relationship of women's college students' knowledge, attitudes toward elderlies and consciousness about supporting the aged. Pusan Women's College Journal, 31, 263-277.
- Sanders, G. F., Montgomery, J. E., Pittman, J. F., & Balkwell, C. (1984). Youth's attitudes toward the elderly. Journal of Applied Gerontology, 3(1), 59-70. https://doi.org/10.1177/073346488400300107
- Seok, J. E. (2009). The differences and determinants in the perception on old-age support across generations in Korea. Health and Social Welfare Review, 29(1), 163-191.
- Statistics Korea data. (2012). Korean statistical information service. Statistics about Demographic studies in 2011. Retrieved December 7, 2012, from web site: http://www.index.go.kr/egams/stts/jsp/potal/stts/PO_STTS_IdxMain.jsp? idx_cd=1010&bbs=INDX_001.
- Yu, S. J., Kim, S. M., & Lee, Y. J. (2004). The Effect of senior simulation on nurses' attitude toward the elderly. Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing, 34(6), 974-982. https://doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2004.34.6.974
- Influences on the Aging Anxiety of University Students vol.16, pp.2, 2015, https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2015.16.2.1164
- Factors influencing the perception of the elderly in Nursing Students vol.16, pp.2, 2015, https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2015.16.2.1129
- Influence of Ageing Knowledge and Family Strengths on Ageism among the Nursing Students vol.21, pp.2, 2018, https://doi.org/10.7587/kjrehn.2018.83