- Volume 14 Issue 3
A reversed trapezoidal fin is analyzed using a two-dimensional analytical method. Heat loss from the reversed trapezoidal fin is presented as a function of the fin shape factor, fin base thickness and the fin base height. The relationship between the fin tip length and the convection characteristic number as well as that between the fin tip length and the fin base height for equal amounts of heat loss are analyzed. Also the relationship between the fin base thickness and the fin shape factor for equal amount of heat loss is presented. One of the results shows that the heat loss decreases linearly with the increase of the fin shape factor.
- A.K. Sen and S. Trinh, An Exact Solution for the Rate of Heat Transfer from a Rectangular Fin Ggoverned by a Power Law-Type Temperature Dependence, ASME J. of Heat Transfer 108 (1986) 457-459. https://doi.org/10.1115/1.3246946
- H.S. Kang and D.C. Look, Jr., Two Dimensional Trapezoidal Fins Analysis, Computational Mechanics 19 (1997) 247-250. https://doi.org/10.1007/s004660050173
- R.H. Yeh, An Analytical Study of the Optimum Dimensions of Rectangular Fins and Cylindrical Pin Fins, Int. J. of Heat and Mass Transfer 40 (1997) 3607-3615. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0017-9310(97)00010-0
- H.S. Kang and D.C. Look, Jr., Thermally Asymmetric Triangular Fin Analysis, AIAA J. of Thermophysics and Heat Transfer 15 (2001) 427-430. https://doi.org/10.2514/2.6646
- S. Sikka and M. Iqbal, Temperature Distribution and Effectiveness of a Two-Dimensional Radiating and Convecting Circular Fin, AIAA Journal 8 (1970) 101-106. https://doi.org/10.2514/3.5612
- S. Abrate and P. Newnham, Finite Element Analysis of Triangular Fins Attached to a Thick Wall, Computers and Structures 57 (1995) 945-957. https://doi.org/10.1016/0045-7949(95)00105-P
- H.S. Kang, Optimization of a Pin Fin on the Increasing Rate of Heat Loss, Journal of the KSIAM 12 (2008) 25-32.
- H.S. Kang, Optimization of a Pin Fin with Variable Base Thickness, ASME J. of Heat Transfer 132 (2010) 034501-1-4 https://doi.org/10.1115/1.4000048
- A. Bejan and M. Almogbel, Constructal T-shaped Fins, Int. J. of Heat and Mass Transfer 43 (2000) 2101-2115. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0017-9310(99)00283-5
- K. Hashizume, R. Morikawa, T. Koyama and T. Matsue, Fin Efficiency of Serrated Fins, Heat Transfer Engineering 23 (2002) 6-14. https://doi.org/10.1080/01457630252800386
- B. Kundu and P.K. Das, Performance Analysis and Optimization of Elliptical Fins Circumscribing a Circular Tube, Int. J. of Heat and Mass Transfer 50 (2007) 173-180. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijheatmasstransfer.2006.06.043