- Volume 9 Issue 1
Purpose: This study was to identify the relationship between mental adjustment to cancer and anxiety. Method: This study used a cross-sectional descriptive design. A total of 124 ambulatory cancer patients completed the Mental Adjustment to Cancer (MAC) scale and Hospital Anxiety and Depression Scale (HADS). Data were analyzed using descriptive statistics, t-test, ANOVA and Pearson correlation. Results: There was a significantly negative correlation between anxiety and fighting spirit which was adaptive adjustment to cancer (r=-0.29, p<0.001). However, anxiety had significantly positive correlation with helplessness/hopelessness (r=0.38, p<0.001), anxious preoccupation (r=0.55, p< 0.001), and fatalism (r=0.22, p<0.05) to cancer. Conclusion: Cancer patients' mental adjustment is correlated with the degree of the psychosocial distress. Anxious preoccupation and helplessness/hopelessness are the most maladaptive adjustments whereas fighting spirit is one of the most adaptive adjustment to cancer.
- Korea National Statistical Office. Annual report on the cause of death statistics (Based on vital registration). Daejeon:Korea National Statistical Office;2006.
- Kim BR, Kim YH, Kim JS, Jeong IS, Kim JS. A study to the coping patterns of cancer patients. J Korean Acad Nurs 2003;33:321-30. https://doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2003.33.3.321
- Rawl SM, Given BA, Given CW, Champion VL, Kozachik SL, Kozachik SL, et al. Intervention to improve psychological functioning for newly diagnosed patients with cancer. Oncol Nurs Forum 2002;29:967-75. https://doi.org/10.1188/02.ONF.967-975
- Greer S, Moorey S. Adjuvant psychological therapy for cancer patients. Palliat Med 1997;11:240-4. https://doi.org/10.1177/026921639701100309
- Greer S, Waston M. Mental adjustment to cancer: its measurement and prognostic importance. Cancer Surv 1987;6:439-53.
- Carver CS, Scheier MF, Weintraub JK. Assessing coping strategies: a theoretically based approach. J Personal Soc Psychol 1989;56:267-83. https://doi.org/10.1037/0022-35188.8.131.527
- Khrone HW. Individual differences in coping. In:Zeidner M, Endler NS, editors. Handbook of coping: theory, research, applications. New york:John Wiley & Sons;1996. p. 381-409.
- Livneh H. Psychosocial adaptation to cancer: the role of coping strategies. J Rehabil 2000;66:1-15.
- Oh PJ. An integrative review of oncology nursing research in Korea. J Korean Oncol Nurs 2003;3:112-21.
- Greer S, Moorey S, Watson M. Patients' adjustment to cancer: the Mental Adjustment to Cancer (MAC) scale vs clinical ratings. J Psychosom Res 1989;33:373-7. https://doi.org/10.1016/0022-3999(89)90027-5
- Watson M, Greer S, Young J, Inayat Q, Burgess C, Robertson B. Development of a questionnaire measure of adjustment to cancer: the MAC scale. Psychol Med 1988;18:203-9. https://doi.org/10.1017/S0033291700002026
- Watson M, Law M, Santos MD, Greer S, Baruch J, Bliss J. The mini-MAC: further development of the mental adjustment to cancer scale. J Psychosoc Oncol 1994;12:33-46. https://doi.org/10.1300/J077V12N03_03
- Zigmond AS, Snaith RP. The hospital anxiety and depression scale. Acta Psychiatr Scand 1983;67:361-70. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1600-0447.1983.tb09716.x
- Chung BY. Adjustment process of women with breast cancer [dissertation]. Seoul:Yonsei Univ.;1991.
- Akechi T, Okamura H, Yamawaki S, Uchitomi Y. Predictors of patients' mental adjustment to cancer: patient characteristics and social support. Br J Cancer 1998;77:2381-5. https://doi.org/10.1038/bjc.1998.396
- Watson M, Greer S, Rowden L, Gorman C, Robertson B, Bliss JM, et al. Relationships between emotional control, adjustment to cancer and depression and anxiety in breast cancer patients. Psychol Med 1991;21:51-7. https://doi.org/10.1017/S0033291700014641
- Carr EW, Morris T. Spirituality and patients with advanced cancer: a social work response. J Psychosoc Oncol 1996;14:71-81. https://doi.org/10.1300/J077v14n01_04
- Wortman CB. Social support and the cancer patient. Conceptual and methodological issues. Cancer 1984;53:2339-60. https://doi.org/10.1002/cncr.1984.53.s10.2339
- Burgess C, Morris T, Pettingale KW. Psychological response to cancer diagnosis. Evidence for coping styles (coping styles and cancer diagnosis). J Psychosom Res 1988;32:263-72. https://doi.org/10.1016/0022-3999(88)90067-0
- Greer S, Morris T, Pettingale KW, Haybittle JL. Psychological response to breast cancer and 15-year outcome. Lancet 1990;335:49-50. https://doi.org/10.1016/0140-6736(90)90173-3
- Manuel GM, Roth S, Keefe FJ, Brantly BA. Coping with cancer. J Human Stress 1987;13:149-58. https://doi.org/10.1080/0097840X.1987.9936808