- Volume 6 Issue 3
A Micromechanical Analysis on the Elastic Behavior in Discontinuous Metal Matrix Composites
불연속 금속복합체에서의 탄성거동에 관한 미세구조역학적 해석
- Published : 1997.09.01
A micromechanics model to describe the elastic behavior of fiber or whisker reinforced metal matrix composites was developed and the stress concentrations between reinforcements were investigated using the modified shear lag model with the comparison of finite element analysis (FEA). The rationale is based on the replacement of the matrix between fiber ends with the fictitious fiber to maintain the compatibility of displacement and traction. It was found that the new model gives a good agreement with FEA results in the small fiber aspect ratio regime as well as that in the large fiber aspect ratio regime. By the calculation of the present model, stress concentration factor in the matrix and the composite elastic modulus were predicted accurately. Some important factors affecting stress concentrations, such as fiber volume fraction, fiber aspect ratio, end gap size, and modulus ratio, were also discussed.
- Analysis and Performance of Fiber Composites Agarwal, B.D.;Broutman, L.J.
- Proceedings of the 11th World Korean Scientists and Engineers Conference Strengthening Analysis of SiC Whisker Reinforced Aluminum Alloys Kim, H.G.;Nair,S.V.
- British Journal of Applied Physics v.3 The Elasticity and Strength of Paper and Other Fibrous Materials Cox, H.L.
- KSME Journal v.8 no.4 Stress Transfer in Shear Deformable Discontinuous Composites Kim, H.G.
- Modern Plastics Outwater, J.O.
- Report No. TISR63SD61 Study of Stresses near a Discontinuity in a Filament-Reinforced Composite Material Dow, N.F.
- Fiber Composite Materials ASM Mechanics of Compostie Strengthening Rosen, B.W.
- International Journal of Solids and Structures v.5 On the Diffusion of an Axial Load from an Infinite Cylindrical Bar Embeded in an Elastic Medium Muki, R.;Sternberg, E.
- Journal of Applied Mathematics and Physics(ZAMP) v.21 Load-Absorption by a Filament in Fiber Reinforced Material Sternberg, E.;Muki, R.
- Scripta Metallurgica v.20 On the Strength of Discontinuous Silicon Carbide Reinforced Aluminum Composites Nardone, V.C.;Prewo, K.M.
- Scripta Metallurgica v.21 Assessment of Models Used to Predict the Strength of Discontinuous Silicon Carbide Reinforced Aluminum Alloys Nardone, V.C.
- Thermomechanical Behavior Metal Matrix Composites Taya, M.;Aresenault, R.J.
- Journal of Korean Society of Composite Materials v.7 no.3 Assessment of Plastic Constraint Effects Induced by Whisker Interactions in Whisker Reinforced Metal Matrix Composites Kim, H.G.
- Journal of Basic Science Research Institute v.7 no.1 A Numerical Study on the Evolution of Plasticity in a Heterogeneous Body Kim, H.G.
- Scripta Metallurgica v.18 Interfaces in Metal Matrix Composites Aresenault, R.J.
- International Metals Review v.30 no.6 SiC-Reinforced Aluminum Metal Matrix Composites Nair, S.V.;Tien, J.K.;Bates, R.C.
- Scipta Metallurgica v.25 no.10 Thermal Residual Stress Effects on Constitutive Response of a Shot Fiber or Whisker Reinforced Metal Matrix Composite Nair, S.V.;Kim, H.G.
- Scripta Metallurgica v.21 Void Nucleation at Fiber Ends in Al-SiC Composites Nutt, S.R.;Needleman, A.