- Volume 37 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
도로 비점오염 해석을 위한 ROADMOD개발 및 적용: 도로청소 효과 분석
Development and Application of ROADMOD for Analysis of Non-point Source Pollutions from Road: Analysis of Removal Efficiency of Sediment in Road by Sweeping
- Kang, Heeman (Korea Expressway Corporation Research Institute) ;
- Jeon, Ji-Hong (Department of Environmental Engineering, Andong National University)
- 투고 : 2021.02.08
- 심사 : 2021.03.23
- 발행 : 2021.03.30
In this study, an Excel-based model (ROADMOD) was developed to estimate pollutant loading from the road and evaluate BMPs. ROADMOD employs the Chezy-Manning equation and empirical expression for estimating surface runoff, and power function for pollutant buildup, and exponential function for pollutant washoff in SWMM. The results of model calibration for buildup and washoff using observed data revealed a good match between the simulation results and the observed data. The long-term surface runoff and sediment simulated by ROADMOD demonstrated a good match with those by SWMM with 2 ~ 14% of relative error. The shorter sweeping interval (within 8 days) remarkably decreased sediment loads from the road. It was found that the effect of reducing sediment loads from the road was greatly affected not only by the sweeping interval but also by sweeping on the day before a rainfall event. The 48% of removal efficiency of sediment loads from the road was achieved with 26 times of road sweeping per year when sweeping was performed on the day before the rainfall event. A 4-day sweeping interval showed similar removal efficiency (48%) with 96 times of sweeping per year. It is considered that the road sweeping on the day before a rainfall event could maximize the effect of reducing the non-point source pollution from the road with minimization of the number of road sweeping. So, the road sweeping on the day before a rainfall event can be considered as one of the useful and best management practices (BMPs) on road.
- Barrett, M., E., Irish, Jr. L. B., Malina, Jr., J. F., and Charbeneau, R. J. (1998). Characterization of highway runoff in Austin, Taxas, area, Journal of Environmental Engineering, 124(2), 131-137. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9372(1998)124:2(131)
- Becher, K. D., Schnoebelen, D. J., and Akers, K. K. B. (2000). Nutrients discharged to the Mississippi river from Eastern Iowa watershed, 1996-1997, Journal of The American Water Resources Association, 63(1), 161-173.
- Bicknell, B. R., Imhoff, J. C., Kittle, J. L. Jr., Jobes, T. H., and Donigian, A. S. Jr. (2005). HSPF Version 12.2 User's Manual, EPA-July 2005. U. S. Environmental Protection Agency, Atherns, Georigia 30605.
- Breault, R. F., Smith, K. P., and Sorensen, Jr. (2005). Residential street-dirt accumulation rates and chemical composition, removal efficiencies by mechanical and vacuum-type sweepers, US Department of the Interior, US Geological Survey, New Bedford, MA.
- Grottker, M. (1987). Runoff quality from a street with medium traffic loading, Science Total Environment, 59, 457-466. https://doi.org/10.1016/0048-9697(87)90469-4
- Gupta, K. and Saul, A. J. (1996). Specific relationships for the first flush load in combined swer flows, Water Research, 30(5), 1244-1252. https://doi.org/10.1016/0043-1354(95)00282-0
- Herngren, L., Goonetilleke, A., and Ayoko, G. A. (2006). Analysis of heavy metals in road-deposited sediments, Analytica Chimica Acta, 571(2), 270-278. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.aca.2006.04.064
- Irish, Jr. L. B., Barrett, M. E., Malina, Jr. J. F., and Charbeneau, R. J. (1998). Use of regression models for analyzing highway storm-water loads, Journal of Envornmental Engineering, 124(10), 987-993.
- Jeon, J. H. and Seo, S. C. (2018). LIDMOD3 development for design and evaluation of low impact development, Journal of Korean Society on Water Environment, 34(4), 383-391. [Korean Literature]
- Kang, H. and Kang, H. (2014). Evaluation of Non-Point Source Pollution Reduction by Expressway Sweeping, RT-2014-57-534.9607, Environment Research Division, Korea Expressway Corporation Research Institute, Korea. [Korean Literature]
- Kang, H., Lee, D., and Yoon, H. (2012). Effect of road sweeping on the abatement of runoff pollution loads from in the highway, Journal of Korean Society of Water and Wastewater, 26(6), 851-860. [Korean Literature] https://doi.org/10.11001/jksww.2012.26.6.851
- Kim, L. H. and Kang, J. (2004). Determination of event mean concentrations and pollutant loadings in highway storm runoff, Journal of Korean Society on Water Environment, 20(6), 631-640. [Korean Literature]
- Kwon, H. G., Lee, J. W., Yi, Y. J., Shin, S. H., Lee, C, S., and Lee, J. K. (2012). The estimating MFFn by SWMM in the transportation area, Journal of the Environmental Sciences, 21(3), 277-287. [Korean Literature] https://doi.org/10.5322/JES.2012.21.3.277
- Kwon, H. G., Lee, J. W., Yi, Y. J., Yoon, Y. S., Lee, C. S., and Lee, J. K. (2011). The applicability for estimating MFFn by SWMM in the trunk road, Journal of Korean Society on Water Environment, 27(5), 605-616. [Korean Literature]
- Lin, W., Ryu, S. W., Park, D, G., Lee, J., and Cho, Y. H. (2015). Performance evaluation of the runoff reduction with permeable pavements using the SWMM model, International Journal of Highway Engineering, 17(4), 11-18. [Korean Literature] https://doi.org/10.7855/IJHE.2015.17.4.011
- Ministry of Environment (ME). (2012). A feasibility of analysis of road sweeping for reducing non-point source pollution, Ministry of Environment. [Korean Literature]
- Ministry of Environment (ME). (2016). The guideline of design of low impact development, Ministry of Environment. [Korean Literature]
- Prime Minister's Office and Ministry of Environment. (2004). 1nd comprehensive NPS management plan, Prime Minister's Office and Ministry of Environment. [Korean Literature]
- Prime Minister's Office and Ministry of Environment. (2012). 2nd comprehensive NPS management plan, 11-1480000- 001222-01, Prime Minister's Office and Ministry of Environment. [Korean Literature]
- Saget, A., Chebbo, G., and Bertrand-Krajewski, J. (1996). The first flush in sewer system, Proceeding of the 4th International Conference on Sewer Solids-Characteristics, Movement, Effects and Control, 58-65, Dundee, UK.
- Schueler, T. (Ed.) (1996). Stream channel geometry used to assess land use impacts in the Pacific Northwest, Watershed Protection Techniques, 2(2), 345-348.
- Shoemaker, L., Lahlou, M., Bryer, M., Kumar, D., and Kratt, K. (1997). Compendium of tools for watershed assessment and TMDL development, EPA841-B-97-006, United States Environmental Protection Agency, Washington, DC 20460, USA, 13-14.
- United States Environmental Protection Agency (U. S. EPA.). (2015). Storm water management model user's mannual Version 5.1, EPA/600/R-14/413b, United States Environmental Protection Agency.
- Won, M. (2020). Analysis of contaminant reduction efficiency by streetsweeper using SWMM, Master thesis, Andong National University, Andong, Korea. [Korean Literature]
- Yeung, Z., Kwok, R., and Yu, K. (2003). Determination of multi-element profiles of street dust using energy dispersive X-ray fluorescence (EDXRF), Applied Radiation and Isotopes, 58(3), 339-346. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0969-8043(02)00351-2
- Zhao, H., Yin, C., Chen, M., and Wang, W. (2009). Risk assessment of heavy metals in street dust particles to a stream network, Soil and Sediment Contamination, 18(2), 173-183. https://doi.org/10.1080/15320380802660263