- Volume 23 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Performance Evaluation of Small Dampers Using SMG Fluid
SMG 유체를 이용한 소형댐퍼의 성능평가
- Heo, Gwang Hee (Department of International & Plant Engineering, Konyang Universty) ;
- Jeon, Seung Gon (Dept. of Civil Engineering and Informatics, Chungnam State University) ;
- Seo, Sang Gu (Dept. of Civil Engineering and Informatics, Chungnam State University) ;
- Kim, Dae Hyeok (Department of Disaster Safety & Fire, Konyang University)
- Received : 2019.02.22
- Accepted : 2019.06.12
- Published : 2019.07.01
In this study, SMG(Smart Material with Grease) was developed, which was improved the precipitation minute particle in grease during long term standstill. Also, small-sized cylinder damper equipped with an electromagnet in a piston was developed for using a performance evaluation of the damper with SMG and the dynamic load test, and damping force using Power model and Bingham model was derived in order to compare to the result of that of the damper. The data obtained from the dynamic load test were analyzed and plotted, and then a dynamic range was calculated to evaluate the usability of the damper with SMG. The performance of the damper with SMG was compared to the damping forse derived from the Power and Bingham model. The result of this evaluation shown that the usability of SMG damper was demonstrated by this test as a semi-active controlling equipment of small-sized damper.
Supported by : 한국연구재단
- Chai W, Feng MQ. Vibraton control of super tall buildings subjected to wind loads. Non-Linear Mechanics. 1997;32(4):657-668. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0020-7462(96)00094-7
- Ko JM, Ni YQ. Technology developments in structural health monitoring of large scale bridges. Engineering Structures. 2005;27:1715-1725. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engstruct.2005.02.021
- Soong TT, Costantinou MC. Passive and Active Structural Vibration Control in civil Engineering. Springer-Verlag Wien-New York. c1994.
- Singh MP, Matheu EE, Suarez LE. Active and semi-active control of structures under seismic excitation. Earthquake Engineering Structural Dynamics. 1997;26(2):193-213. https://doi.org/10.1002/(SICI)1096-9845(199702)26:2<193::AID-EQE634>3.0.CO;2-#
- Xu YL, Qu WL, Ko JM. Seismic response control of frame structures using magnetorheological/electrorheological dampers. Earthquake Engineering Structural Dynamics. 2000;29(5):557-575. https://doi.org/10.1002/(SICI)1096-9845(200005)29:5<557::AID-EQE922>3.0.CO;2-X
- Casciati F, Rodellar J, Yildirim U. Semi-active control systems for seismic protection of structure, a state of the art review. Journal of Intelligent Material Systems and Structures. 2012;23(11):1181-1195. https://doi.org/10.1177/1045389X12445029
- Kobori T, Takahashi M, Nasu T, Niwa N. Ogasawara K. Seismic response controlled structure with active variable stiffness system. Earthquake Engineering and Structural Dynamics. 1993;22:925-941. https://doi.org/10.1002/eqe.4290221102
- Heo GH, Lee G, Choi MY. Magneto-Rheological Fluid Dampers for Smart Semi-Active Control System. The 1st International Conference on Advanced Nondestructive Evaluation. 2005(b);234.
- Jolly MR, Bender JW, Carlson JD. Properties and Applications of Commercial Magnetorheological Fluids. J. Intelligent Material Systems and Structures, 1999;10(1):5. https://doi.org/10.1177/1045389X9901000102
- Dyke SJ, Spencer Jr BF, Sain MK, Carlson JD. An Experimental Study of MR Dampers for Seismic Protection. Smart Materials and Structures: Special Issue on Large Civil Structures. 1998;7:693-703.
- Spencer Jr BF, Dyke SJ, Sain MK, Calson JD. Phenomenological Model of a Magnetorheological Damper. Journal of Engineering Mechanics. ASCE. 1997;123(3):230-238. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9399(1997)123:3(230)
- Heo GH, Jeon SG. Control Performance Evaluation of cylinder Type Damper using SMG Fluid. Korean Society for Structural Maintenance and Inspection 2018 Spring Conference. 2018 Apr;141-142.
- Kim HS, Roschke PN. Numerical Study of Hybrid Base-isolator with Magnetorheological Damper and Friction Pendulum System. Journal of the Earthquake Engineering Society of Korea. 2005;9(2):7-15. https://doi.org/10.5000/EESK.2005.9.2.007
- Datta TK. A State-of-Art Review on Active Control of Structures. ISET Journal of Earthquake Technology. Paper. 2003 Mar;40(1):1-17.
- Heo GH, J eon JR, Jeon SG. Real-time Semi-active Vibration Control in Cable-stayed Bridges by Shear-type MR damper and Clipped-optimal Control Algorithm. Journal of the Earthquake Engineering Society of Korea. 2016;20(2):113-123. https://doi.org/10.5000/EESK.2016.20.2.113
- Jeon SG. Development of Smart MR Damper for Semi-active Control System. Master's thesis on Civil Engineering and Structural Engineering at Kunyang University. 2011 Feb;14-19
- Sodeyama H, Sunakoda K, Fujitani H, Soda S, Iwata N, Hata K. Dynamic Tests and Simulation of Magneto-Rheological Dampers. Computer-Aided Civil and Intrastructure Engineering. 2003;(18):45-57
- Sodeyama H, Suzuki K, Sunakoda K. Development of Large Capacity Semi-Active Seismic Damper Using Magneto-Rheologocal Fluid. Transactions of the ASME Journal of Pressure Vessel Technology. 2004 Feb;126:105-109. https://doi.org/10.1115/1.1634587
- Spencer Jr BF, Dyke SJ, Carlson JD. Phenomenologcal Model for Magnetorheological Dampers. Journal of Engineering Mechanics. ASCE. 1997;123(3):230-238. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9399(1997)123:3(230)
- Yang G. Large-Scale Magnetorheological Fluid Damper for Vibration Mitigation: Modeling. Testing and Control. Ph. D Dissertation, University of Notre Dame. c2001.
- Yang G, Spencer Jr BF, Carlson JD, Sain MK. Large-scale MR fluid dampers: modeling and dynamic performance considerations. Engineering Structures. 2002;24(3):309-233. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0141-0296(01)00097-9
- Lee KH, Kim GC, Lee ES. A Control Method of Semi-active TMD for Vibration Control. Journal of the Korean Association for Spatial Structures. 2007;7(2):53-61
- Heo GH, Lee G, Lee WS, Lee DG. Designing a Smart Damping System to Mitigate Structure Vibration: Part 2. Experimental Approval of Unified Lyapunov Control Algorithm. Smart Structures and Material 12th SPIE Annual International Symposium. 2005 Mar;5757(1):587-593.
- Heo GH, Jeon SG. Characteristics and Dynamic Modeling of MR Damper for Semi-active Vibration Control Journal of the Korea Institute for Structural Maintenance and Inspection. 2013 Nov;17(6):72-80.
- Nam YJ. Design and Applications of Magneto- Rheological Fluid Actuators. Pusan national university Doctoral thesis 2008. 2.
- Chang MS, Byeon WJ. A Study of the Hydraulic Circuit Model for a Magnetorheological Damper Analysis. Journal of Drive and Control. 2017 Mar;14(1):8-13. https://doi.org/10.7839/ksfc.2017.14.1.008
- Maddah AA, Hojja Y. Reduction of magneto rheological dampers stiffness by incorporating of an eddy current damper. Journal of Sound and Vibration. 2017;396:51-68 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jsv.2017.02.011
- Lee JW, Seong MS, Woo JK, Choi SB. Modeling and Vibration Control of Small-sized Magneto-rheological Damper : Korean Society for Noise and Vibration Engineering. 2012 Oct; 344-349.
- Yusuke S, Hiroshi S, Makoto H, Shin M. An Experimental Study On Basic Characteristics of a Magnetorheological Grease Damper. Proceedings of the ASME 2015 Pressure Vessels and Piping Conference. July 19-23, 2015. Boston. Massachusetts. USA.
- Mohamad N, Mazlan SA, Ubaidillah, Choi SB, Nordin MFM. The Field-Dependent Rheological Properties of Magnetorheological Grease Based on Carbonyl-Iron-Particles. Smart Materials and Structures. 2016 Aug;25(9).
- Hahm DG, Koh HM, Park WS, Park KS. A Study on Cost-Effectiveness Evaluation and Optimal Design of MR dampers for Cable-Stayed Bridge. Journal of the Earthquake Engineering Society of Korea. 2006;10(6):47-56.
- Cho SW, Jo JS, Kim CH, Lee IW. Smart Passive System Based on MR Damper. Journal of the Earthquake Engineering Society of Korea. 2005;9(1):51-59.