- Volume 23 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
ANALYSIS OF A LAMINATED COMPOSITE WIND TURBINE BLADE CHARACTERISTICS THROUGH MATHEMATICAL APPROACH
- CHOI, YOUNG-DO (DEPARTMENT OF MECHANICAL ENGINEERING, MOKPO NATIONAL UNIVERSITY) ;
- GO, JAEGWI (DEPARTMENT OF MATHEMATICS, CHANGWON NATIONAL UNIVERSITY) ;
- KIM, SEOKCHAN (DEPARTMENT OF MATHEMATICS, CHANGWON NATIONAL UNIVERSITY)
- Received : 2019.11.16
- Accepted : 2019.12.05
- Published : 2019.12.25
A 1kW-class horizontal axis wind turbine (HAWT) rotor blade is taken into account to investigate elastic characteristics in 2-D. The elastic blade field is composed of symmetric cross-ply laminated composite material. Blade element momentum theory is applied to obtain the boundary conditions pressuring the blade, and the plane stress elasticity problem is formulated in terms of two displacement parameters with mixed boundary conditions. For the elastic characteristics a fair of differential equations are derived based on the elastic theory. The domain is divided by triangular and rectangular elements due to the complexity of the blade configuration, and a finite element method is developed for the governing equations to search approximate solutions. The results describe that the elastic behavior is deeply influenced by the layered angle of the middle laminate and the stability of the blade can be improved by controlling the layered angle of laminates, which can be evaluated by the mathematical approach.
Supported by : National Research Foundation of Korea (NRF)
- D.A. Spera, Wind turbine technology, New York: ASME Press; 1994.
- M. M. Shokrieh, and R. Rafiee, Simulation of fatigue failure in a full composite wind turbine blade, Composite Structures 74 (2006) 332-342. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.compstruct.2005.04.027
- Y.-C. TSENG, and C.-Y. KUO, Engineering and Construction Torsional Responses of Glass- Fiber/Epoxy Composite Blade Shaft for A small Wind Turbine, Procedia Engineering 14 (2011) 1996-2002. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.proeng.2011.07.251
- L.C.T. Overgaard , E. Lund, and P.P. Camanho, A methodology for the structural analysis of composite wind turbine blades under geometric and material induced instabilities, Computers and Structures 88 (2010) 1092-1109. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.compstruc.2010.06.008
- C. W. Kensche , Fatigue of composites for wind turbines, International Journal of Fatigue 28 (2006) 1363-1374. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijfatigue.2006.02.040
- H. Ghasemnejad, L. Occhineri, and D.T. Swift-Hook, Post-buckling failure in multi delaminated composite wind turbine blade materials, Materials and Design 32 (2011) 5106-5112. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.matdes.2011.06.012
- M.C. Aceves, A.A. Skordos, and M.P.F. Sutcliffe, Design selection methodology for composite structures, Mater Design, 29 (2008), 418-4261. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.matdes.2007.01.014
- C. M. Aceves, M.P.F. Sutcliffe, M.F. Ashby, A.A. Skordos, and C. Rodriguez Roman, Design methodology for composite structures: A small low air-speed wind turbine blade case study, Materials and Design 36 (2012) 296-305. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.matdes.2011.11.033
- E. Lindaard and E. Lund, Nonlinear buckling optimization of composite structures, Computer Methods in Applied Mechanics and Engineering 199 (2010) 2319-2330. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cma.2010.02.005
- X. Chen, J. Tang, and K. Yang, Modeling multiple failures of composite box beams used in wind turbine blades, Composite Structures 217 (2019) 130-142. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.compstruct.2019.03.018
- H.G. Lee and J. Lee, Damping mechanism model for fatigue testing of a full-scale composite wind turbine blade, Part 1: Modeling, Composite Structures 202 (2018) 1216-1228. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.compstruct.2018.05.124
- V. Giavotto, M. Borri, P. Mantegazza, G. Ghiringhelli, V. Carmaschi, G. Maffioli, and F. Mussi, Anisotropic beam theory and applications, Comput. Struct. 16 (1983) 490-413.
- J. Blasques, R. Bitsche, V. Fedorov, and B. Lazarov, Accuracy of an efficient framework for structural analysis of wind turbine blades, Wind Energy 19 (2015) 1603-1621.
- W. Yu, D.H. Hodges, and J.C. Ho, Variational asymptotic beam sectional analysis-an updated version, Int. J. Eng. Sci.59 (2012) 40-64. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijengsci.2012.03.006
- I. Fleming and D.J. Luscher, A model for the structural dynamic response of the CX-100 wind turbine blade, Wind Energy 17 (2013) 877-900.
- Q. Wang, M.A. Sprague, J. Jonkman, N. Johnson, and B. Jonkman, BeamDyn:a high-fidelity wind turbine blade solver in the FAST modular framework, Wind Energy (2017)
- X. Zhou, K. Huang, and Z. Li, Geometrically nonlinear beam analysis of composite wind turbine blades based on quadrature element method, International Journal of Non-Linear Mechanics 104 (2018) 87-99. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijnonlinmec.2018.05.007
- T. Burton, D. Sharpe, N. Jenkins, and E. Bossanyl, Wind Energy Handbook, 2001, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd.
- R.M. Jones, Mechanics of Composite Materials, 2nd edition, 1999, Taylor & Francis.
- J-Y. Lee, N-J, Choi, J-W Lee, H-Y Yoon and Y-D Choi, Shape Design and CFD Analysis on a 1kW-class Horizontal Axis Wind Turbine Blade for Hybrid Power Generation System, Proc. Of The 11th Asian International Conference on Fluid Machinery and The 3rd Fluid Power Technology Exibition (2011) Paper number 120.