- Volume 38 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
A Study of the Application of Earthquake Early Warning System for the Enhancements in Protective Action by Korea National Park
국립공원의 지진 대응 체계 개선을 위한 지진 조기경보 시스템의 적용에 관한 연구
- Yang, Eomzi (Yonsei University) ;
- Ha, Seong Jun (Yonsei University) ;
- Kim, Won Kyung (Korea National Park Service) ;
- Yun, Tae Sup (Yonsei University)
- Received : 2017.11.20
- Accepted : 2018.03.26
- Published : 2018.06.01
Conventional Earthquake Early Warning System (EEWS) detects the propagated P-wave from epicenter which should be achieved within 5 seconds to provide seconds to minutes of warning, allowing people to prepare for protective actions. EEWS in Korea is currently capable of providing a warning within 50 seconds after the primary P-wave detection, however, it is well-known that earthquake warning systems operating around Korean National Parks (KNP) have limited capability to fully monitor earthquake events. This study, therefore, presents a strategy to quantify the potential vulnerability to earthquake hazards by superimposing the distribution of Korea Integrated Seismic System (KISS) and the discretized map of KNP. Total 22 national parks are evaluated, and the results suggest that the improvement of the on-site systems should be necessitated for Gyoengju, Gyeryongsan, Songnisan, Gayasan, and Deogyusan national parks, whereas enhancement of regional systems is required for Bukhansan national park.
Supported by : 한국연구재단(NRF)
- Allen, R. M., Gasparini, P., Kamigaichi, O. and Bose, M. (2009). "The status of earthquake early warning around the world: an introductory overview." Seismol. Res. Lett., Vol. 80, No. 5, pp. 682-693. https://doi.org/10.1785/gssrl.80.5.682
- Chi, H. (2016). "Current state and implementation of earthquake early warning system (EEWS)." Korea Appraisal Board, Seoul, South Korea, Vol. 102 (in Korean).
- Colombelli, S., Caruso, A., Zollo, A., Festa, G. and Kanamori, H. (2015). "A P wave-based, on-site method for earthquake early warning", Geophys. Res. Lett., Vol. 42, No. 5, pp. 1390-1398. https://doi.org/10.1002/2014GL063002
- Greenhalgh, S. A., Denham, D., McDougall, R. and Rynn, J. M. W. (1988). "Magnitude-intensity relations for Australian earthquakes", Bull. Seismol. Soc. Amer., Vol. 78, No. 1, pp. 374-379.
- Gutenberg, B. and Richter, C. F. (1956). "Earthquake magnitude, intensity, energy, and acceleration (second paper)", Bull. Seismol. Soc. Amer., Vol. 46, No. 2, pp. 105-145.
- Hwang, E., Lee, W. and Jo, B. (2007). "Rapid determination of epicentral distance using P waveforms recorded at single station." J. Geol. Soc. Korea, Vol. 43, No. 1, pp. 99-106 (in Korean).
- Kang, I. B. and Park, J. (2006). "Application of seismic tomography to the region in and near Southern Korean peninsula." Economic and Environmental Geology, Vol. 15, No. 4, pp. 507-524 (in Korean).
- Kim, S. K. and Park, M. A. (2002). "The local magnitude scale in the Korean peninsula." J. Geol. Soc. Korea, The Geological Society of Korea, Vol. 38, No. 2, pp. 217-235 (in Korean).
- Korea Meteorological Administration (KMA) (2010). Designing of the national earthquake early warning system and expanding of real-time data sharing, Report CATER2009-1157 (in Korean).
- Korea Meteorological Administration (KMA) (2011). Research & development on national earthquake early warning system (development of earthquake early analysis algorithm through enhancement of integrated earthquake observation network), Report CATER2010-1189 (in Korean).
- Lee, K. (1979). "On crustal structure of the Korean peninsula." J. Geol. Soc. Korea, Vol. 15, No. 4, pp. 253-258 (in Korean).
- Lee, K. (2010). "Comments on seismicity and crustal structure of the Korean peninsula." Geophysics and Geophysical Exploration, Vol. 13, No. 3, pp. 256-267 (in Korean).
- Lee, K. (2017). "Discussions on the September 2016 Gyeongju Earthquakes." Geophysics and Geophysical Exploration, Vol. 20, No. 3, pp. 185-192 (in Korean). https://doi.org/10.7582/GGE.2017.20.3.185
- McCue, K. (2004), "Australia: historical earthquake studies." Ann. Geophys., Vol. 47, No. 2-3, pp. 387-397.
- Nakamura, Y. (2008). "First actual p-wave alarm systems and examples of disaster prevention by them." The 14th World Conference on Earthquake Engineering, Beijing, China, ID. S05-03-007.
- Park, S. J. (2007). "Tectonic movement in the Korean peninsula (II): A geomorphological interpretation of the spatial distribution of earthquakes." Journal of the Korean Geographical Society, Vol. 42, No. 4, pp. 488-505 (in Korean).
- Satriano, C., Wu, Y., Zollo, A. and Kanamori, H. (2010). "Earthquake early warning: Concepts, methods and physical grounds." Soil Dyn. Earthq. Eng., Vol. 31, No. 2, pp. 106-118. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.soildyn.2010.07.007
- Sheen, D., Lim, I., Park, J. H. and Chi, H. (2012). "Earthquake magnitude determination using P phase for earthquake early warning." J. Geol. Soc. Korea. Vol. 48, No. 1, pp. 101-111 (in Korean).
- Sim, H., Song, Y., Son, M., Park, C., Choi, W. and Khulganakhuu, C. (2017). "Reactivated timings of Yangsan fault in the Northern Pohang area, Korea." Economic and Environmental Geology, Vol. 50, No. 2, pp. 97-104 (in Korean). https://doi.org/10.9719/EEG.2017.50.2.97
- Xu, Y., Wang, J. P., Wu, Y. M. and Kuo-Chen, H. (2017). "Reliability assessment on earthquake early warning: A case study from Taiwan." Soil Dyn. Earthq. Eng., Vol. 92, pp. 397-407. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.soildyn.2016.10.015
- Zollo, A., Festa, G., Emolo, A. and Colombelli, S. (2014). "Source characterization for earthquake early warning." Encyclopedia of Earthquake Engineering, pp. 1-21 (book).