- Volume 21 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
A Framework for Deriving Investment Priority in National Defense R&D - Using DEA based on TRA -
국방연구개발 투자우선순위 도출 프레임워크 - TRA 방법론에 기반한 DEA 중심으로 -
- Yu, Donghyun (School of Integrated National Security, Chungnam National University) ;
- Lim, Dongil (School of Integrated National Security, Chungnam National University) ;
- Seol, Hyeonju (School of Integrated National Security, Chungnam National University)
- Received : 2018.01.11
- Accepted : 2018.02.23
- Published : 2018.04.05
The purpose of this study is to evaluate the future potential value of CTE(Critical Technology Element)s that are evaluated to be low in TRA(Technology Readiness Assesment) and to present investment prioritization technologies in defense R&D(Research and Development) based on them. To do this, we used the DEA(Data Envelopment Analysis) method, which is useful in evaluating the efficiency of the organization. Specifically, we suggest a systematic framework to evaluate the future value of CTEs by setting the CTEs derived from the TRA process to DMU(Decision Making Unit)s, the cost and time required to develop each CTE as the input factor of the DEA and the effects of the development of each CTE as the output factor of the DEA respectively. We also conducted an illustrative case study on radar technologies to demonstrate the usefulness of the proposed approach.
Supported by : 충남대학교
- Agency for Defense Development, "R&D Investment Effects of 45 Years," 2015.
- Hyeonggon Yoo, "Effective Application of Technology Readiness Assesment in Defense Force Improvement Program," Security Management Institute, 2012.
- Olechowski, A., Eppinger, S. D., Joglekar, N., "Technology Readiness Level at 40: A Study of State-of-the-are Use, Challenges, and Oppportunities," MIT Sloan School of Management, 2015.
- Charnes, A., Cooper, W. W. and Rhodes, E., "Measuring the Efficiency of Decision Making Units," European Journal of Operation Research, Vol. 2, pp. 698-706, 1978.
- Jung-Myong Kim, "Development of a Model for the System level Technical Maturity Assessment Process in Defense R&D Programs," Ph.d. Thesis in Ajou University, 2010.
- US DOD, "Technology Readiness Assessment(TRA) Deskbook," 2009.
- NASA, "Definition by TRL Level", Search Date 2017. 11. 3. (https://www.nasa.gov/sites/default/files/trl.png)
- Defense Acquisition Program Administration, "TRA Guideline," 2014.
- Defense Agency for Technology and Quality, "TRA Representative Case Study by Year," Search Date 2017. 12. 12. (http://www.dtaq.re.kr/ko/work/defense_improvement.jsp)
- Hyeonju Seol, Soo-Wook Kim and Youngtae Park, “Analysis of Relationship between Information and Communication Technology(ICT) and Efficiency in Public Institutions,” Korean Management Review, Vol. 34, No. 6, pp. 1615-1636, 2005.
- Banker, R., Charnes, A. and Cooper, W. W., "Some Models for Estimating Technical and Scale Inefficiencies in Data Envelopment Analysis," Management Science, Vol. 30, pp. 1078-1092, 1984. https://doi.org/10.1287/mnsc.30.9.1078
- Cooper, W. W., Seiford, L. M. and Tone, K., "Data Envelopment Analysis: A Comprehensive Text with Models, Applications, References and DEA-Solver Software," Kluwer Academic Publishers: Boston, 2000.
- Defense Agency for Technology and Quality, "Defense Science & Technology Development Trend and Level," 2016.