- Volume 27 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
A Paired Barrel Capable of Automatic Storage and Emptying of Water for a Weighing Raingauge
자동 저수와 배수가 가능한 중량 우량계 용 쌍수조
- Lim, Gyu-Ho (School of Earth and Environmental Sciences, Seoul National University) ;
- Lim, Eun Ok (Graduate School of Convergence & Fusion System Engineering, Kyungpook National University)
- Received : 2017.03.22
- Accepted : 2017.05.15
- Published : 2017.06.30
The standard weighing raingauges have a capacity limit in measuring the amounts of precipitation. Exceptions are those using a siphon to drain the collected water during observations. To reduce the drain time of the siphon type or to overcome the hassles associated with the manual emptying of the bucket for measuring, the most of weighing gauges use a large bucket for storing of rainwater to be measured. To avoid the above-mentioned adverse requirements, we propose a paired barrel for a weighing raingauge. The paired barrel may improve the accuracy of the weighing raingauges by getting rid of their capacity limit and make the gauges smaller in size and lighter in weight than the conventional ones. We showed its proper function and the feasibility of realization by testing a prototype paired barrel.
- Adami, A., and L. Da Deppo, 1986: On the Systematic Errors of Tipping Bucket Recording Rain Gauges. Instruments and Observing Methods Report No. 25, 27-30.
- Calder, I. R., and C. H. R. Kidd, 1978: A note on the dynamic calibration of tipping-bucket gauges. J. Hydrol., 39, 383-386. https://doi.org/10.1016/0022-1694(78)90013-6
- Hewston, C. M., and S. H. Sweet, 1989: Trials use of a weighing tipping-bucket rain gauge. Meteor. Mag., 118, 132-134.
- Hodgkinson, R. A., T. J. Pepper, and D. W. Wilson, 2004: Evaluation of Tipping Bucket Rain Gauge Performance and Data Quality. Science Report: W6-084/SR, 54 pp.
- Humphrey, M. D., J. D. Istok, J. Y. Lee, J. A. Hevesi, and A. L. Flint, 1997: A new method for automated dynamic calibration of tipping-bucket raingauges. J. Atmos. Oceanic Technol., 14, 1513-1519. https://doi.org/10.1175/1520-0426(1997)014<1513:ANMFAD>2.0.CO;2
- Kim, S.-J., and T. Son, 2012: Development of auto-empting type weighing precipitation gauge and performance test on rainfall measurement. Atmosphere, 22, 279-285, doi:10.14191/Atmos.2012.22.2.279 (in Korean with English abstract).
- Lee, B.-Y., 2004: A study on the development of raingauge with 0.01 mm resolution. J. Environ. Sci. Int., 13, 637-643 (in Korean with English abstract). https://doi.org/10.5322/JES.2004.13.7.637
- Nayak, A., D. G. Chandler, D. Marks, J. P. McNamara, and M. Seyfried, 2008: Correction of electronic record for weighing bucket precipitation gauge measurements. Water Resour. Res., 44, W00D11, doi:10.1029/2008WR006875.
- Nystuen, J. A., 1998: Relative performance of automatic rain gauges under different rainfall conditions. J. Atmos. Oceanic Technol., 16, 1025-1043.
- Nystuen, J. A., J. R. Proni, P. G. Black, and J. C. Wilkerson, 1996: A comparison of automatic rain gauges. J. Atmos. Oceanic Technol., 13, 62-73. https://doi.org/10.1175/1520-0426(1996)013<0062:ACOARG>2.0.CO;2
- Sevruk, B., 1996: Adjustment of tipping bucket precipitation gauge measurements. Atmos. Res., 42, 237-246. https://doi.org/10.1016/0169-8095(95)00066-6