- Volume 19 Issue 3
In this tutorial the theoretical background of LQ optimal guidance is reviewed, starting from calculus of variations. LQ optimal control is then introduced and applied to missile guidance to obtain the basic form of LQ optimal guidance laws. Extension of LQ optimal guidance methodology for handling weighted cost function, dynamic lag associated with the missile dynamics and the autopilot, constrained impact angle, and constrained impact time is also described with a brief discussion on the asymptotic properties of the optimal guidance laws. Furthermore, an introduction to polynomial guidance and generalized impactangle-control guidance, which are closed related with LQ optimal guidance, is provided to demonstrate the current status of missile guidance techniques.
- A. E. Bryson and Y.-C. Ho, Applied Optimal Control, Wiley, New York, 1975.
- A. E. Bryson, Linear feedback solution for minimum effort interception, rendezvous, and soft landing, AIAA J., 3(8) (1965), 1542-1544. https://doi.org/10.2514/3.3199
- E. Kreindler, Optimality of proportional navigation, AIAA J., 11(6) (1973), 878-880. https://doi.org/10.2514/3.50527
- H. Cho, Navigation constants in PNG law and the associated optimal control problems (in Korean), Proc. Korean Automatic Control Conference, Seoul, Korea, 1992, 578-583.
- C. K. Ryoo, H. Cho, and M. J. Tahk, Time-to-go weighted optimal guidance with impact angle constraints, IEEE T. Contr. Syst. T., 14(3) (2006), 483-492. https://doi.org/10.1109/TCST.2006.872525
- C. H. Lee, M. J. Tahk, and J. I. Lee, Generalized formulation of weighted optimal guidance laws with impact angle constraint IEEE T. Aero. Elec. Sys., 49(2) (2013), 1317-1312. https://doi.org/10.1109/TAES.2013.6494416
- M. Y. Ryu, C. H. Lee, and M. J. Tahk, New trajectory shaping guidance laws for anti-tank guided missile, P. I. Mech. Eng. G- J. Aer., 229(7) (2015), 1360-1368.
- R. G. Cottrell, Optimal intercept guidance for short-range tactical missiles AIAA J., 9(7) (1971), 1414-1415. https://doi.org/10.2514/3.6369
- C. K. Ryoo, H. Cho, and M. J. Tahk, Optimal guidance laws with terminal impact angle constraint, J. Guid. Contr. Dyn., 28(4) (2005), 724-732. https://doi.org/10.2514/1.8392
- M. J. Tahk, C. K. Ryoo and H. Cho, Recursive time-to-go estimation for homing guidance missiles, IEEE T. Aero. Elec. Sys., 38(1) (2002), 13-24. https://doi.org/10.1109/7.993225
- C. K. Ryoo, H. Cho, and M. J. Tahk, Closed-form solutions of optimal guidance with terminal impact angle constraints, Proceedings of the 2003 IEEE Int. Conf. Contr. Appl., Istanbul, Turkey, June 2003, 504-509.
- C. K. Ryoo, H. S. Shin, and M. J. Tahk, Energy optimal waypoint guidance synthesis for anti-ship missiles, IEEE T. Aero. Elec. Sys., 46(1) (2010), 80-95. https://doi.org/10.1109/TAES.2010.5417149
- H. Cho, C. K. Ryoo, A. Tsourdos, and B. White, Optimal impact angle control guidance law based on linearization about collision triangle, J. Guid. Contr. Dyn., 37(3) (2014), 958-964. https://doi.org/10.2514/1.62910
- M. J. Tahk, B. M. Min, and H. C. Shim, Study on the time-to-go polynomial guidance (in Korean), Proc. Spring Conf. Korean Soc. Aero. Space Sci., Yong Pyong, Korea, (2007), 459-462.
- C. H. Lee, T. H. Kim, M. J. Tahk, and I. H. Whang, Polynomial guidance laws considering terminal impact angle and acceleration constraints, IEEE T. Aero. Elec. Sys., 49(1) (2013), 74-92. https://doi.org/10.1109/TAES.2013.6404092
- T. H. Kim, C. H. Lee, M. J. Tahk, and I. S. Jeon, Augmented polynomial guidance with impact time and angle constraints, IEEE T. Aero. Elec. Sys., 49(4) (2013), 2806-2817. https://doi.org/10.1109/TAES.2013.6621856
- T. H. Kim, C. H. Lee, and M. J. Tahk, Time-to-go polynomial guidance with trajectory modulation for observability enhancement, IEEE T. Aero. Elec. Sys., 49(1) (2013), 55-73. https://doi.org/10.1109/TAES.2013.6404091
- Y. I. Lee, S. H. Kim, and M. J. Tahk, Optimality of linear time-varying guidance for impact angle control, IEEE T. Aero. Elec. Sys., 48(3) (2012), 2808-2817.
- Y. I. Lee, S. H. Kim, and M. J. Tahk, Analytic solutions of optimal angular constrained guidance for first-order lag system, P. I. Mech. Eng. G- J. Aer., 227(3) (2013), 827-837.
- Y. I. Lee, S. H. Kim, J. I. Lee, and M. J. Tahk, Analytic Solutions of Generalized Impact-Angle-Control Guidance Law for First-Order Lag System, J. Guid. Contr. Dyn., 36(1) (2013), 96-112. https://doi.org/10.2514/1.57454
- C. H. Lee, T. H. Kim, M. J. Tahk, Design of impact angle control guidance laws via high-performance sliding mode control, P. I. Mech. Eng. G- J. Aer., 227(2) (2013), 235-253.
- I. S. Jeon and J. I Lee, Guidance law to reach circular target area with grazing angle constraint (in Korean), J. Soc. Aero. Space Sci., 36(9) (2008), 884-890.
- B. G. Park, T. H. Kim, and M. J. Tahk, Optimal impact angle control guidance law considering the seeker's field-of-view limits, P. I. Mech. Eng. G- J. Aer., 227(8) (2013), 1347-1364.
- I. S. Jeon, J. I. Lee, and M. J. Tahk, Impact-time-control guidance law for anti-ship missiles, IEEE T. Cont. Sys. Tech., 14(2) (2006), 260-266. https://doi.org/10.1109/TCST.2005.863655
- J. I. Lee, I. S. Jeon, and M. J. Tahk, Guidance law to control impact time and angle, IEEE T. Aero. Elec. Sys., 43(1) (2007), 301-310. https://doi.org/10.1109/TAES.2007.357135
- I. S. Jeon, J. I. Lee, and M. J. Tahk, Homing guidance law for cooperative attack of multiple missiles, J. Guid. Contr. Dyn., 33(1) (2010), 275-280. https://doi.org/10.2514/1.40136
- M. J. Tahk, B. K. Park, B. C. Sun, I. S. Hwang, H. J. Cho, and T. L. Song, The closed-form solution and its approximation of the optimal guidance law, 12th World Congress of IFAC, Sydney, Australia, July 1993, 207-210.
- T. Kailath, Linear Systems,Prentice Hall, 1980.