- Volume 15 Issue 6
DOI QR Code
Influence of Emotional Labor on Job Involvement, Job Satisfaction, and Turnover Intention of Clinical Nurses
종합병원 간호사의 감정노동이 직무몰입, 직무만족 및 이직의도에 미치는 영향
- Song, Myung-Sook (College of Nursing, Catholic University of Pusan)
- 송명숙 (부산가톨릭대학교 간호대학)
- Received : 2014.02.12
- Accepted : 2014.06.12
- Published : 2014.06.30
This study investigated the emotional labor factors influencing job involvement, job satisfaction and turnover intention of clinical nurses. Study subjects were 258 nurses at a hospital in B city. The data was collected from October 11, to November 30, 2013. The data was analyzed using the SPSS win 21.0 program. The mean scores were 3.47 for emotional labor, 2.94 for job involvement, 2.88 for job satisfaction, and 3.49 for turnover intention. Emotional labor was negatively correlated with job involvement and job satisfaction, but positively correlated with the turnover intention. Multiple regression analysis showed that the participant characteristics after controlling for emotional labor had 33.9% of the explanatory power on job involvement 16% on job satisfaction, and 19.8% on the turnover intention. The results indicate that the emotional labor of nurses influences their job involvement, job satisfaction and turnover intention Therefore, it is necessary to concentrate on improving the emotional labor of nurses to increase their job involvement and job satisfaction.
Supported by : 부산가톨릭대학교
- Kim, J.H., Hyun, M.Y. & Kim, S.Y., "Job Stress, Depression, Social Support, and Coping Strategies of Clinical Nurses", Korean Journal of Occupational Health Nursing, 18(2), pp.219-231, 2009.
- Ko. Y. & Kang. k., "A Study on the Relationship between Self-efficacy, Collective-efficacy and Job Stress in the Nursing Staff", The Journal of Korean Nursing Administration Academic Society, 12, pp.276-286, 2006.
- Park, H.J., "Emotional Labor, Emotional Expression, and Burnout of Clinical Nurses", Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing Administration, 15, pp.225-232, 2009.
- Cha, S.K., Shin, Y.S., Kim, K.Y., Lee, H.Y., Ahn, S.Y., Jang, H.S., "The Degree of Emotional Labor and its related factors among Clinical Nurses", Journal of Korean Clinical Nursing Research, 15(2), pp.23-35, 2009.
- Hochschild, A.R., "Emotion work, feeling rules and Social structure", American Journal of sociology, 85(3), pp.551-575, 1979. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1086/227049 https://doi.org/10.1086/227049
- Mann, S. & Cowburn, J., "Emotional Labour and Stress within Mental Health Nursing", Journal of Psychiatric and Mental Health Nursing, 12, pp.154-162, 2005. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2850.2004.00807.x https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2850.2004.00807.x
- Jung, M.S. & Kim, K.J., "A Study on the Effect of Emotional Labor and Leader's Emotional Intelligence on Job Satisfaction and Organizational Commitment for Nurses", Korean Journal of Hospital Management, 11(4), pp.1-18, 2006.
- Kim, I.S., "The Role of Self-efficacy and Social Support in the Relationship between Emotional Labor and Burnout, Turnover Intention among Hospital Nurses", The Journal of Korean Nursing Administration Academic Society, 15(4), pp.515-526, 2009.
- Yang, Y.K., "A Study on Burnout, Emotional Labor, and Self-efficacy in Nurses," The Journal of Korean Nursing Administration Academic Society, 17, pp.423-431, 2011. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.11111/jkana.2011.17.4.423 https://doi.org/10.11111/jkana.2011.17.4.423
- Shin, M.K. & Kang, H.L., "Effects of Emotional Labor and Occupational Stress on Somatization in Nurses", The Journal of Korean Nursing Administration Academic Society, 17(2), pp.158-167, 2011. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.11111/jkana.2011.17.2.158 https://doi.org/10.11111/jkana.2011.17.2.158
- Chang, C.C. & Yang, F.J., "Emotional Labor, Job Satisfaction and Organizational Commitment among Clinical Nurses: A Questionnaire Survey", International Journal of Nursing Studies, 45(6), pp. 879-887, 2008. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.ijnurstu.2007.02.001 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijnurstu.2007.02.001
- Hyun, S.I. Emotional Labor, Emotional Competence and Customer-Orientation in Hospital Nurses, Unpublished doctoral dissertation, Yonsei University, Seoul, 2009.
- Lee, S.N. Relation of among Emotional Labor, Burn Out and Job Involvement of Nurses, Unpublished master's thesis, Hanyang University, Seoul, 2010.
- Lee, K.J. & Lee, E., "The Relationship of Emotional Labor, Empowerment, Job Burnout and Turnover Intention of Clinical Nurses", Korean Journal of Occupational Health Nursing, 20(2), pp.130-142, 2011. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.5807/kjohn.2011.20.2.130 https://doi.org/10.5807/kjohn.2011.20.2.130
- Wi, S.M. & Yi, Y.J., "Influence of Emotional Labor on Job Satisfaction, Intent to Leave, and Nursing Performance of Clinical Nurses", The Journal of Korean Nursing Administration Academic Society, 18(3), pp.310-319, 2012. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.11111/jkana.2012.18.3.310 https://doi.org/10.11111/jkana.2012.18.3.310
- Kim, H.J. & Kim, J.H., "Emotional Labor, Social Support, and Depressive Symptoms of Clinical Nurses", Korean Journal of Occupational Health Nursing, 20(3), pp.308-318, 2011. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.5807/kjohn.2011.20.3.308 https://doi.org/10.5807/kjohn.2011.20.3.308
- Kang, M.H., Kwon, M.G. & Youn, S.Y., "Self-efficacy, Nursing Organizational Culture and Emotional Labor in Clinical Nurses", Korean Journal of Occupational Health Nursing, 21(3), pp.266-273, 2012. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.5807/kjohn.2012.21.3.266 https://doi.org/10.5807/kjohn.2012.21.3.266
- Morris, J.A. & Feldman, D.C., "The Dimensions, Antecedents, and Consequences of Emotional Labor", Academy of Management Review, 21(4), pp.986-1010, 1996. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.2307/259161 https://doi.org/10.2307/259161
- Kim, M.J., "Effects of the Hotel Employee's Emotional Labor upon the Job-related Attitudes", Journal of Tourism Science, 21(2), pp.129-141, 1998.
- Kanungo, R.N., "Measurement of Job and Work Involvement", Journal of applied psychology. 67(3), pp.341-349, 1982. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1037/0021-9010.67.3.341 https://doi.org/10.1037/0021-9010.67.3.341
- Kim, J.A. The Relationship between the Nurses' Reward Fit and Job Involvement.Organizational Commitment, Unpublished master's thesis, Ewha Womans University, Seoul, 1997.
- Paula, L.S., "Measurement of Work Satisfaction among Health Profession", Med Care, 4, pp.337, 1978.
- Bae, B.H. A study of the degree of Role Perception and Job Satisfaction for Clinical Nurses, Unpublished master's thesis, Kyungsan University, Kyungbuk, 2001.
- Mobley, W.H. Employee Turnover: Causes, Consequences, and Control, Massachusetts Addison-Wesley Publishing Company, 1982.
- Becker, T.E., "Foci and base of Commitment: are they Distinctions Worth marking?", Journal of Academy Management, 35(1), pp.232-244, 1992. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.2307/256481 https://doi.org/10.2307/256481
- Kim, M.R. Influential Factors on Turnover Intention of Nurses: The Affect of Nurse's Organizational Commitment and Career Commitment to Turnover Intention, Unpublished master's thesis, Ewha Womans University, Seoul, 2007.
- Kim, J.H., Lee, Y.M., Joung, H.Y., Choo, H.S., Won, S.J., Kwon, S.Y., Bae, H.J., Ahn, H.K., Kim, E.M., Jang, H.J., "Effects of Emotional Labor, Emotional Intelligence and Social Support on Job Stress in Clinical Nurses", Journal of Korean Academy Fundamental Nursing, 20(2), pp.157-167, 2013. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.7739/jkafn.2013.20.2.157 https://doi.org/10.7739/jkafn.2013.20.2.157
- Seo, Y.S. & Sung, K.W., "Relation of Emotional Labor, Job Involvement, and Job Satisfaction for Nurses in Long-term Care Facilities", Journal of Korean Gerontology Nursing, 13(3), pp.193-203, 2011.
- Han, J.H. A Study on the Impact of the Emotional Labor on Burnout of Service Employees, Unpublished master's thesis, Pukyoung National University, Pusan, 2008.
- Yoon, S.U. & Kim, J.S., "Relations between Emotional Labor and Job Stresss among some Dental Hygienists", Journal of Korean Society of Dental Hygiene, 11. pp.179-188, 2011.
- Bae, E.J. Effect of Emotional Labor and Emotional Intelligence on Job Stress in the H Hotel Employees, Unpublished master's thesis, Korea University, Seoul, 2012.
- Kim, S.G., "An Exploratory study on the Emotional Labor in Public sector: focused on Street-level Bureaucrats in the Civil Service System", The Korean Association for Local Government Studies, 13(1), pp.51-70, 2009. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/S1053-4822(02)00048-7 https://doi.org/10.1016/S1053-4822(02)00048-7
- Zapf, D., "Emotion Work and Psychological Well-being: A Review of the Literature and some Conceptual Considerations", Human Resource Management Review, 12, pp.237-268, 2002. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1053-4822(02)00048-7
- Park, S.J. & Han, H.O., "The Effects of Emotional Labor on Job-related Attitudes among Casino Employees", Research of Women's economics, 9(1), pp.77-98, 2012.
- Ji, M.J. The Relationship between the fitness of Organizational Support and Job Involement. Organizational Commitment of Clinical Nurses, Unpublished master's thesis, Dankook University, Seoul, 2003.
- Song, H.K. The Study on Working Environment of Employees occupied with in-Home Care Facility for the Aged having Effect on Job Involvement and Burn-out, Unpublished master's thesis, Kyonggi University, Suwon, 2007.
- Ha, N.S. & Choi,J., "An Analysis of Nursing Competency affecting on Job Satisfaction and Nursing Performance among Clinical Nurses", Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing Administration, 16(3), pp.286-294, 2010. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.11111/jkana.2010.16.3.286 https://doi.org/10.11111/jkana.2010.16.3.286
- Lee, M.A., "The Relationship between the Justice of Compensation and the Intention of Turnover Perceived by Nurses", Journal of Korean Academy Society Nursing Education, 14(2), pp.195-204, 2008. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.5977/JKASNE.2008.14.2.195 https://doi.org/10.5977/JKASNE.2008.14.2.195
- Bartram, T., Casimir, G., Djurkvic, N., Leggat, S.G. & Stanton, P., "Do perceived high performance work systems influence the relationship between emotional labour, burnout and intention to leave? A study of Australian nurses", Journal of Advanced Nursing, 68(7), pp.1567-1578, 2012. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2648.2012.05968.x https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2648.2012.05968.x
- Kim, H.Y., "Analysis of Relationship between Job Performance and Emotional Labor of Hotel Employee", Journal of Tourism Science, 29, pp.127-144, 2008.
- Huh, J.H. The Study of Relations among Organization Quality, Emotional Labor and Employee Job Attitude, Unpublished master's thesis, Hongik University, Seoul, 2000.
- Park, Y.S., Lee, K.J., Cho, E.H. & Park, H.J., "Factors affecting Turnover Intention of Nurses in Long-term Care Facilities for Elderly People", Journal Korean Gerontological Nurses, 11(1), pp.81-89, 2009.
- Lindquist, C.A. & Whitehead, J.T., "Burnout, Job Stress, and Job Satisfaction among Southern Correctional Officers: Perceptions and causal factors", Journal of Offender Services, counselling and Rehabilitation, 10, pp.5-26, 1986. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1300/J264v10n04_02 https://doi.org/10.1300/J264v10n04_02
- Smith, P. & Gray, B., "Reassessing the Concept of Emotional Labor in Student Nurse Education: Role of Link Lecturers and Mentors in a time of Change", Nurse Education Today, 21(3), pp.230-237, 2001. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1054/nedt.2001.0541 https://doi.org/10.1054/nedt.2001.0541
- The factors affecting on Turnover Intention of Nurses Working in Rehabilitation Hospitals vol.16, pp.6, 2015, https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2015.16.6.4077
- The Effects of Emotional Labor and Job Involvement on Turnover Intention of Nurses in Long-term Care Hospitals vol.24, pp.4, 2015, https://doi.org/10.5807/kjohn.2015.24.4.290
- The Effects of Work Environment, Emotional Labor on Turnover Intention by Hospital Nurses vol.3, pp.1, 2015, https://doi.org/10.15205/kschs.2015.3.1.256
- The Influence of Job Characteristics and Job Stress on Children's Hospital Nurses' Turnover Intention vol.16, pp.4, 2016, https://doi.org/10.5392/JKCA.2016.16.04.100
- Emotional Labor Experienced of Ward Nurses vol.26, pp.3, 2016, https://doi.org/10.15269/JKSOEH.2016.26.3.377
- Structural equation modeling on nurses' emotional labor including antecedents and consequences vol.27, pp.1, 2016, https://doi.org/10.7465/jkdi.2016.27.1.143
- Impact of resilience and job involvement on turnover intention of new graduate nurses using structural equation modeling vol.15, pp.4, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1111/jjns.12210