- Volume 17 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
ANALYTIC APPROACH FOR THE STUDY OF AIR AND/OR LIQUID FILLED GEOMEMBRANE TUBE SECTIONS ON A HORIZONTAL
- Choi, Yoon-Rak (SCHOOL OF NAVAL ARCHITECTURE AND OCEAN ENGINEERING, UNIVERSITY OF ULSAN)
- Received : 2013.05.26
- Accepted : 2013.07.01
- Published : 2013.09.25
This study considers an air and liquid-filled geomembrane tube section resting on a horizontal foundation. All quantities are normalized to obtain geometrically similar solutions in the static equilibrium condition. Analytic solutions are expressed in closed form. The solution for the air or liquid-filled tube section is derived systematically as an extreme case of the air and liquid-filled tube section. The validity of these solutions is confirmed by comparing to previous study, and some results are shown for the characteristic parameters and shapes of air and/or liquid-filled cases. Using the result of present study, one can estimate the shape and characteristic parameters of a tube section without numerical integrations or iterations.
- H. Demiray and M. Levinson, The long fluid storage bag: a contact problem for a closed membrane, International Journal of Mechanical Sciences, 14(7) (1972), 431-439. https://doi.org/10.1016/0020-7403(72)90101-4
- C. Y. Wang and L. T. Watson, The fluid-filled cylindrical membrane container, Journal of Engineering Mathematics, 15(2) (1981), 81-88. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF00052512
- V. Namias, Load-supporting fluid-filled cylindrical membranes, Journal of Applied Mechanics, 52(4) (1985), 913-918. https://doi.org/10.1115/1.3169168
- R. H. Plaut and S. Suherman, Two-dimensional analysis of geosynthetic tubes, Acta Mechanica, 129 (1988), 207-218.
- R. H. Plaut and S. A. Cotton, Two-dimensional vibrations of air-filled geomembrane tubes resting on rigid or deformable foundations, Journal of Sound and Vibration, 282 (2005), 265-276. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jsv.2004.02.032
- S. A. Antman and M. Schagerl, Slumping instabilities of elastic membranes holding liquids and gases, International Journal of Non-Linear Mechanics, 40(8) (2005), 1112-1138. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijnonlinmec.2005.04.003
- E. Ghavanloo and F. Daneshmand, A semi-analytical approach for the nonlinear two-dimensional analysis of fluid-filled thin-walled pliable membrane tubes, European Journal of Mechanics-A/Solids, 28(3) (2009), 626-637. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.euromechsol.2008.11.006
- Y.-R. Choi, Closed-form expression of the similarity solutions for an air-filled, heavy membrane tube section on an incline, Mechanics Research Communications, 38(7) (2011), 494-499. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.mechrescom.2011.06.007
- I. S. Gradshteyn and I. M. Ryzhik, Table of Integrals, Series, and Products, 6th Ed., Academic Press, San Diego, CA, USA, 2000.
- W. H. Press, S. A. Teukolsky, W. T. Vetterling, and B. P. Flannery, Numerical Recipes in Fortran 77, 2nd Ed., Cambridge Univ. Press, New York, NY, USA.