- Volume 16 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
EFFECT OF POROSITY ON THE TRANSIENT MHD GENERALIZED COUETTE FLOW WITH HEAT TRANSFER IN THE PRESENCE OF HEAT SOURCE AND UNIFORM SUCTION AND INJECTION
- Attia, Hazem Ali (Department of Engineering Mathematics and Physics, Faculty of Engineering, El-Fayoum University) ;
- Ewis, Karem Mahmoud (Department of Engineering Mathematics and Physics, Faculty of Engineering, El-Fayoum University) ;
- Awad-Allah, Nabil Ahmed (Department of Civil Engineering, Faculty of Engineering, Fayoum University)
- Received : 2011.09.25
- Accepted : 2012.04.29
- Published : 2012.06.25
The transient magnetohydrodynamic (MHD) generalized Couette flow with heat transfer through a porous medium of an electrically conducting, viscous, incompressible fluid bounded by two parallel insulating porous plates is studied in the presence of uniform suction and injection and a heat source considering the Hall effect. A uniform and constant pressure gradient is imposed in the axial direction and an externally applied uniform magnetic field as well as a uniform suction and injection are applied in the direction perpendicular to the plates. The two plates are kept at different but constant temperatures while the Joule and viscous dissipations are included in the energy equation. The effect of the Hall current, the porosity of the medium and the uniform suction and injection on both the velocity and temperature distributions is investigated.
- Hartmann, J. and Lazarus, F., Kgl. Danske Videnskab, Selskab, Mat.-Fys. Medd. 15(1937), 6-7.
- Orhan, A. and Mete, A., Laminar forced convection with viscous dissipation in a Couette-Poiseuille flow between parallel plates, Applied Energy, 83 (2006), 856-867. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.apenergy.2005.08.005
- Tudor, B. and Ioana, B., An unified numerical approach of steady convection between two parallel plates Original, Appl. Math. Comp., 215 (2009), 2673-2685. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.amc.2009.09.007
- Alpher, R.A., Heat transfer in magnetohydrodynamic flow between parallel plates, Int. J. Heat and Mass Transfer, 3 (1961), 108-115. https://doi.org/10.1016/0017-9310(61)90073-4
- Nigam, S.D. and Singh, S.N., Heat transfer by laminar flow between parallel plates under the action of transverse magnetic field, Quart. J. Mech. Appl. Math., 13 (1960), 85-97. https://doi.org/10.1093/qjmam/13.1.85
- Sutton, G.W. and Sherman, A., Engineering Magnetohydrodynamics, McGraw-Hill Book Co. (1965).
- Cramer, K. and Pai, S.-I., Magnetofluid dynamics for engineers and applied physicists, McGraw-Hill Book Co. (1973).
- Soundalgekar, V.M., Vighnesam, N.V. and Takhar, H.S., "Hall and Ion-slip effects in MHD Couette flow with heat transfer", IEEE Transactions on Plasma Science, Vol. PS-7, No. 3 (1979) (Sept.), 178-182.
- Soundalgekar, V.M. and Uplekar, A.G., "Hall effects in MHD Couette flow with heat transfer", IEEE Transactions on Plasma Science, Vol. PS-14, No. 5 (Oct.), pp. 579-583, 1986.
- Attia, H.A., "Hall effect on Couette flow with heat transfer of a dusty conducting fluid in the presence of uniform suction and injection", African J. Math. Phys., 2(1) (2005), 97-110.
- Attia, H.A., "Effect of porosity on unsteady Couette flow with heat transfer in the presence of uniform suction and injection", Kragujevac Journal of Science, 31 (2009), 11-16.
- Joseph, D.D., Nield, D.A., Papanicolaou, G., "Nonlinear equation governing flow in a saturated porous media", Water Resources Research, vol. 18, No. 4 (1982), 1049-1052. https://doi.org/10.1029/WR018i004p01049
- Ingham, D.B. and Pop, I., Transport phenomena in porous media, Pergamon, Oxford, (2002).
- Khaled, A.R.A. and Vafai, K., "The role of porous media in modeling flow and heat transfer in biological tissues", Int. J. Heat Mass Transf., vol. 46 (2003), 4989-5003. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0017-9310(03)00301-6
- Schlichting, H., Boundary layer theory, (McGraw-Hill, New York), (1986).
- Mitchell, A.R. and Griffiths, D.F., The Finite Difference Method in Partial Differential Equations (John Wiley, New York), (1980).