- Volume 15 Issue 6
DOI QR Code
Calculated external pressure coefficients on livestock buildings and comparison with Eurocode 1
- Kateris, D.L. (Department of Hydraulics, Soil Sciences and Agricultural Engineering, Aristotle University of Thessaloniki Thessaloniki) ;
- Fragos, V.P. (Department of Hydraulics, Soil Sciences and Agricultural Engineering, Aristotle University of Thessaloniki Thessaloniki) ;
- Kotsopoulos, T.A. (Department of Hydraulics, Soil Sciences and Agricultural Engineering, Aristotle University of Thessaloniki Thessaloniki) ;
- Martzopoulou, A.G. (School of Architecture, Aristotle University of Thessaloniki) ;
- Moshou, D. (Department of Hydraulics, Soil Sciences and Agricultural Engineering, Aristotle University of Thessaloniki Thessaloniki)
- Received : 2012.02.01
- Accepted : 2012.06.20
- Published : 2012.11.25
The greenhouse type metal structures are increasingly used in modern construction of livestock farms because they are less laborious to construct and they provide a more favorable microclimate for the growth of animals compared to conventional livestock structures. A key stress factor for metal structures is the wind. The external pressure coefficient (
- Antoniou, J. and Bergeles, G. (1988), "Development of the reattached flow behind surface-mounted twodimensional prisms", J. Fluid. Eng. - T. ASME, 110(2), 127-133.
- Armaly, B.F., Durst, F., Pereira, J.C.F. and Schonung, B. (1983), "Experimental and theoretical investigation of backward-facing step flow", J. Fluid Mech., 127, 473-496. https://doi.org/10.1017/S0022112083002839
- Blackmore, P.A. and Tsokri, E. (2006), "Wind loads on curved roofs", J. Wind Eng. Ind. Aerod., 94(11), 833-844. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jweia.2006.06.006
- Boum, G.B.N., Martemianov, S. and Alemany, A. (1999), "Computational study of laminar flow and mass transfer around a surface-mounted obstacle", Int. J. Heat Mass Tran., 42(15), 2849-2861. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0017-9310(98)00354-8
- CEN. (2001), Comite Europeen de Normalisation, EN 13031-1-2001, Greenhouses: Design and construction Part 1: Commercial production greenhouses, Brussels.
- CEN. (2005), European Committee for Standardization , Eurocode 1: Actions on Structures, Part 1-4: General actions - Wind actions, Brussels.
- Dados, J.N., Fragos, V.P., Ntinas, G.K., Papoutsi-Psychoudaki, S. and Nikita-Martzopoulou, C. (2011), "Numerical simulation of airflow over two successive tunnel greenhouses", Int. Agrophysics, 25(4), 333-342.
- European Commission website on the Eurocodes, URL link (accessed: 7 December 2011): http://eurocodes.jrc.ec.europa.eu/showpage.php?id=31.
- Fragos, V.P., Psychoudaki, S.P. and Malamataris, N.A. (1997), "Computer-aided analysis of flow past a surfacemounted obstacle", Int. J. Numer. Meth. Fl., 25(5), 495-512. https://doi.org/10.1002/(SICI)1097-0363(19970915)25:5<495::AID-FLD571>3.0.CO;2-D
- Ginger, J.D. and Holmes, J.D. (2003), "Effect of building length on wind loads on low-rise buildings with a steep roof pitch", J. Wind Eng. Ind. Aerod., 91(11), 1377-1400. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jweia.2003.08.003
- Guirguis, N.M., Abd El-Aziz, A.A. and Nassief, M.M. (2007), "Study of wind effects on different buildings of pitched roofs", Desalination, 209(1-3), 190-198. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.desal.2007.04.028
- Hong, Y.J., Hsieh, S.S. and Shih, H.J. (1991), "Numerical computation of laminar separation and reattachment of flow over surface mounted ribs", J. Fluid. Eng. - T. ASME, 113(2), 190-198. https://doi.org/10.1115/1.2909479
- John, V. and Liakos, A. (2006), "Time-dependent flow across a step: the slip with friction boundary condition", Int. J. Numer. Meth. Fl., 50(6), 713-731. https://doi.org/10.1002/fld.1074
- Kotsopoulos, T.A. and Martzopoulou, A.G. (2007), "Modern tendency of livestock buildings design in Greece and their effect on the environment", (Eds. Kungolos, A., Aravossis, K., Karagiannidis, A. and Samaras, P. ), Proceedings of the SECOTOX Conference and the International Conference on Environmental Management Engineering, Planning and Economics, GRAFIMA, Skiathos, Greece, 2533-2538.
- Kozmar, H. (2011), "Wind-tunnel simulations of the suburban ABL and comparison with international standards", Wind Struct., 14(1), 15-34. https://doi.org/10.12989/was.2011.14.1.015
- LME, London Metal Exchange, URL link (accessed: 7 December 2011): http://www.lme.com/ steel/steel_ price_graphs.asp.
- Lopes, M.F.P., Paixao Conde, J.M., Gloria Gomes, M. and Ferreira, J.G. (2010), "Numerical calculation of the wind action on buildings using Eurocode 1 atmospheric boundary layer velocity profiles", Wind Struct., 13(6), 487-498. https://doi.org/10.12989/was.2010.13.6.487
- Malamataris, N.A. (1991), Computed-aided analysis of flows on moving and unbounded domains: phase-change fronts and liquid leveling, University of Michigan.
- Mistriotis, A. and Briassoulis, D. (2002), "Numerical estimation of the internal and external aerodynamic coefficients of a tunnel greenhouse structure with openings",Comput. Electron. Agr., 34(1-3), 191-205. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0168-1699(01)00187-9
- Nikita - Martzopoulou, C. (2007), "New trends in animal housing in Greece: greenhouse type livestock buildings, animal housing in hot climate", CIGR, Cairo, Egypt, 115-116.
- Norton, T., Grant, J., Fallon, R. and Sun, D.W. (2009), "Assessing the ventilation effectiveness of naturally ventilated livestock buildings under wind dominated conditions using computational fluid dynamics", Biosyst. Eng., 103(1), 78-99. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.biosystemseng.2009.02.007
- Papanastasiou, T.C., Malamataris, N. and Ellwood, K. (1992), "A new outflow boundary- condition", Int. J. Numer. Meth. Fl., 14(5), 587-608. https://doi.org/10.1002/fld.1650140506
- Psychoudaki, S.P., Laskos, V.N. and Fragos, V.P. (2005), "Numerical analysis of a Viscous Flow over a mounted Parabolic Body", IASME Transactions, 2, 1207-1216.
- Reichrath, S. and Davies, T.W. (2002), "Computational fluid dynamics simulations and validation of the pressure distribution on the roof of a commercial multi-span Venlo-type glasshouse", J. Wind Eng. Ind. Aerod., 90(3), 139-149. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0167-6105(01)00184-2
- Robertson, A.P., Roux, P., Gratraud, J., Scarascia, G., Castellano, S., de Virel, M.D. and Palier, P. (2002), "Wind pressures on permeably and impermeably-clad structures", J. Wind Eng. Ind. Aerod., 90(4-5), 461-474. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0167-6105(01)00210-0
- Shklyar, A. and Arbel, A. (2004), "Numerical model of the three-dimensional isothermal flow patterns and mass fluxes in a pitched-roof greenhouse", J. Wind Eng. Ind. Aerod., 92(12), 1039-1059.
- Tieleman, H.W. (2003), "Wind tunnel simulation of wind loading on low-rise structures: a review", J. Wind Eng. Ind. Aerod., 91(12-15), 1627-1649. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jweia.2003.09.021
- Wright, N.G. and Easom, G.J. (2003), "Non-linear k-epsilon turbulence model results for flow over a building at full-scale", Appl. Math. Model, 27(12), 1013-1033.
- Zienkiewicz, O.C., Taylor, R.L. and Nithiarasu, P. (2006), Finite element method for fluid dynamics, 6th, Elsevier.
- Airflow patterns around obstacles with arched and pitched roofs: Wind tunnel measurements and direct simulation vol.43, 2014, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.euromechflu.2013.09.004
- CFD study of external pressure coefficient over two greenhouses with parabolic roofs in tandem arrangement with numerical approximation pp.1170, 2017, https://doi.org/10.17660/ActaHortic.2017.1170.16
- Investigation of ventilation opening positions effect on the airflow inside and outside of a greenhouse pp.1170, 2017, https://doi.org/10.17660/ActaHortic.2017.1170.17
- Dynamic computer-aided approximation of airflow around and inside an agricultural structure vol.23, pp.2, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1080/23744731.2016.1250564
- Wind effect on grooved and scallop domes vol.148, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engstruct.2017.07.003