- Volume 16 Issue 4
We present two high-order potential flow models for the evolution of the interface in the Rayleigh-Taylor instability in two dimensions. One is the source-flow model and the other is the Layzer-type model which is based on an analytic potential. The late-time asymptotic solution of the source-flow model for arbitrary density jump is obtained. The asymptotic bubble curvature is found to be independent to the density jump of the fluids. We also give the time-evolution solutions of the two models by integrating equations numerically. We show that the two high-order models give more accurate solutions for the bubble evolution than their low-order models, but the solution of the source-flow model agrees much better with the numerical solution than the Layzer model.
Supported by : National Research Foundation of Korea (NRF)
- Lord Rayleigh, Investigation of the character of the equilibrium of an incompressible heavy fluid of variable density, Proc. London Math. Soc. 14 (1883), 170-177.
- G. I. Taylor, The instability of liquid surfaces when accelerated in a direction perpendicular to their planes I, Proc. R. Soc. London A 201 (1950), 192-196. https://doi.org/10.1098/rspa.1950.0052
- D. Sharp, An overview of Rayleigh-Taylor instability, Physica D 12 (1984), 3-10. https://doi.org/10.1016/0167-2789(84)90510-4
- D. Layzer, On the instability of superimposed fluids in a gravitational field, Astrophys. J. 122 (1955), 1-12. https://doi.org/10.1086/146048
- J. Zufiria, Bubble competition in Rayleigh-Taylor instability, Phys. Fluids 31 (1988), 440-446. https://doi.org/10.1063/1.866825
- J. Hecht, U. Alon and D. Shvarts, Potential flow models of Rayleigh-Taylor and Richtmyer-Meshkov bubble fronts, Phys. Fluids 6 (1994), 4019-4030. https://doi.org/10.1063/1.868391
- V. N. Goncharov, Analytic model of nonlinear, single-mode, classical Rayleigh-Taylor instability at arbitrary Atwood numbers, Phys. Rev. Lett. 88 (2002), 134502: 1-4.
- S.-I. Sohn, Density dependence of a Zufiria-type model for Rayleigh-Taylor and Richtmyer-Meshkov bubble fronts, Phys. Rev. E 70 (2004), 045301: 1-4.
- S.-I. Sohn, Bubble interaction model for hydrodynamic unstable mixing, Phys. Rev. E 70 (2007), 066312: 1-12.
- S.-I. Sohn, Effects of surface tension and viscosity on the growth rates of Rayleigh-Taylor and Richtmyer- Meshkov instabilities, Phys. Rev. E 80 (2009), 055302: 1-4.
- Y. G. Cao, H. Z. Guo, Z. F. Zhang, Z. H. Sun and W. K. Chow, Effects of viscosity on the growth of Rayleigh- Taylor instability, J. Phys. A: Math. Theor. 44 (2011), 275501: 1-8.
- B. Cheng, J. Glimm and D. H. Sharp, A three-dimensional renormalization group bubble merger model for Rayleigh-Taylor mixing, Chaos 12 (2002), 267-274. https://doi.org/10.1063/1.1460942
- S.-I. Sohn, Vortex model and simulations for Rayleigh-Taylor and Richtmyer-Meshkov instabilities, Phys. Rev. E 69 (2004), 036703: 1-11.
- P. Ramaprabhu and G. Dimonte, Single-mode dynamics of the Rayleigh-Taylor instability at any density ratio, Phys. Rev. E 71 (2005), 036314: 1-9.
- R. D. Richtmyer, Taylor instability in shock acceleration of compressible fluids, Commun. Pure Appl. Math. 13 (1960), 297-319. https://doi.org/10.1002/cpa.3160130207