- Volume 33 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Location Error Analysis of an Active RFID-Based RTLS in Multipath and AWGN Environments
- Myong, Seung-Il (Internet Research Laboratory, ETRI) ;
- Mo, Sang-Hyun (IT Convergence Technology Research Laboratory, ETRI) ;
- Yang, Hoe-Sung (IT Convergence Technology Research Laboratory, ETRI) ;
- Cha, Jong-Sub (IP Strategy Activation Team, R&D Patent Center) ;
- Lee, Heyung-Sub (IT Convergence Technology Research Laboratory, ETRI) ;
- Seo, Dong-Sun (Department of Electronics Engineering, Myongji University)
- Received : 2010.12.28
- Accepted : 2011.07.01
- Published : 2011.08.30
In this paper, we analyze the location accuracy of real-time locating systems (RTLSs) in multipath environments in which the RTLSs comply with the ISO/IEC 24730-2 international standard. To analyze the location error of RTLS in multipath environments, we consider a direct path and indirect path, in which time and phase are delayed, and also white Gaussian noise is added. The location error depends strongly on both the noise level and phase difference under a low signal-to-noise ratio (SNR) regime, but only on the noise level under a high SNR regime. The phase difference effect can be minimized by matching it to the time delay difference at a ratio of 180 degrees per 1 chip time delay (Tc). At a relatively high SNR of 10 dB, a location error of less than 3 m is expected at any phase and time delay value of an indirect signal. At a low SNR regime, the location error range increases to 8.1 m at a 0.5 Tc, and to 7.3 m at a 1.5 Tc. However, if the correlation energy is accumulated for an 8-bit period, the location error can be reduced to 3.9 m and 2.5 m, respectively.
Grant : Real Time Location Service technology Development
Supported by : KEIT
- J.S. Cha et al., "Technology Trend of Active RFID-Based Real-Time Locating Systems," Electron. Telecommun. Trends, vol. 24, no. 5. Oct. 2009, pp. 87-97 (in Korean).
- ISO/IEC 24730-2, Information Technology - Real Time Locating Systems (RTLS) - Part 2: 2, 4 GHz Air Interface Protocol, 2006.
- IDTechEx, "Real Time Locating System (RTLS) 2008-2018," Apr. 2008.
- L. Cong and W. Zhuang, "Nonlinear of Sight Error Migration in Mobile Location," IEEE Trans Wireless Commun, vol. 4, no. 2, Mar. 2005, pp. 560-573. https://doi.org/10.1109/TWC.2004.843040
- L.J. Gartin, "The Shaping Correlator," Novel Multipath Mitigation Technique Applicable to GALILEO BOC(1,1) Modulation Waveforms in High Volume Markets," GNSS, 2005.
- A.J. van Dierendonck, P. Fenton, and T. Ford, "Theory and Performance of Narrow Correlator Spacing in a GPS Receiver," J. Inst. Navigation, vol. 39, no. 3, Fall 1992.
- S. Behera and C. Maity, "Active RFID Tag in Real Time Location System," IEEE SSD, July 2008, pp. 1-7.
- X. Huang, R. Janaswamy, and A. Ganz, "Scout: Outdoor Localization Using Active RFID Technology," BROADNETS, Oct. 2006, pp. 1-10.
- S.-Y. Lee and J.-T. Park, "NLOS Error Mitigation in a Location Estimation of Object based on RTLS Using Kalman Filter," SICE-ICASE, 2006, pp. 2942-2949.
- M. Marx, R. Kokozinski, and H.C. Muller, "Time Synchronization for Real Time Localizatino Systems with Multi Path Mitigation," IEEE IMWS, Sept. 2009, pp. 1-4.