- Volume 14 Issue 1
Relationships among Rehabilitation Motivation, Perceived Stress and Social Support in Stroke Survivors
뇌졸중 환자가 지각한 스트레스, 사회적 지지 및 재활 동기와의 관계
- Moon, Ji-Young (Chosun Nursing College) ;
- Cho, Bok-Hee (College of Nursing, Chonnam National University)
- Received : 2011.04.15
- Accepted : 2011.06.11
- Published : 2011.06.30
Purpose: The purpose of this study was to identify related factors of stress, social support and rehabilitation motivation of stroke survivors and analyze their relationship. Method: A sample of 106 stroke survivors completed face-to-face interviews. The levels of stress, social support and rehabilitation motivation were measured by the Neuman's stress, Multidimentional Scale Perceived Social Support and Han's Rehabilitation Motivation, respectively. The t-test, ANOVA, and Pearson correlation were conducted using the SPSS 17.0. Results: The mean scores of stress, social support and rehabilitation motivation were 3.3 (SD=0.76), 3.2 (SD=0.88), and 3.4 (SD=0.49) respectively. Compared to stroke survivors who had no spouses, those with spouses had a lower level of stress (t=9.52, p=.003), a higher level of social support (t=7.32, p=.008) and a higher level of rehabilitation motivation (t=15.39, p=.001). The rehabilitation motivation was significantly higher in stroke survivors with higher education (F=5.00, p=.001), more monthly income (F=15.39, p=.001), greater income satisfaction (F=3.80, p=.026), shorter duration of disease (F=3.64, p=.030) and absence of dysarthria (t=6.81, p=.010). Stress, social support and rehabilitation motivation are significantly related with each other. Conclusion: The findings suggest that these significant factors should be considered when caring for stroke survivors.
- Byeon, S. H. (2000). Study on the effect of social support on the desire of patients in medical rehabilitation for stroke patient. Social Welfare, 146, 147-174.
- Choi, I. S. (2001). A study on the need for social welfare service in stroke patients: relationship to stress factor. Unpublished master's thesis, Taegu University, Taegu.
- Choi-Kwan, S., Han, S. W., Kwon, S. U., & Kim, J. S. (2005). Post stroke fatigue characteristics and related factors. Cerebrovascular Disease, 19(2), 84-90.
- Cohen, S., & Wills, T. A. (1985). Stress, social support, and the buffering hypothesis. Pyschological Bulletin, 98(2), 310-357.
- Glass, T. A., Matchar, D. B., Belyea, M. J., & Feussner, J. R. (1993). Impact of social support on outcome in first stroke. Stroke, 24(1), 64-70.
- Gu, B. K., & Kim, H. S. (1983). A study on the change and level of motivation for rehabilitation. Rehabilitation Research, 9, 49-54.
- Han, H. S., & Lim, N. Y. (2001). Development of an instrument to measure the motivation for rehabilitation in the disabled. Journal of Korean Academy of Adult Nursing, 14(4), 554-563.
- Ikeda, A., Iso, H., Kawachi, I., Yamagishi, K., Inoue, M., & Tsugane, S. (2008). Social support and stroke and coronary heart disease. Stroke, 39, 768-775.
- Jang, S. H. (2004). Rehabilitation treatment of stroke. Cardiovascular Update, 6(2), 36-43.
- Kim, H. S., Hang, Y. O., Yu, J. H., Jung, J. H., Woo, H. S., & Jung, H. S. (2009). The correlation between depression, motivation for rehabilitation, activities daily living and quality of life in stroke patients. Journal of Korean Society of Occupational Therapy, 17(3), 41-53.
- Kim, J. Y. (2003). Depression, stress and rehabilitation motive in cerebrovascular disease and spinal cord injury patients. Unpublished master's thesis, Chungnam National University, Deajeon.
- Kim, K. O., & Cho, B. H. (2001). Correlation between perceived social support and hope of stroke survivors. The Korean Journal of Rehabilitation Nursing, 4(1), 58-72.
- Kim, K. S., Jeon, S. I., Oh, H. C., & Shin, J. B. (1995). A study of stress and depression in stroke patients : relationship to ADL. Journal of Korean Academy of Occupational Therapy, 3(1), 3-20.
- Kim, O. S., & Baik, S. H. (2003). The relationships among loneliness, social support, and family function in elderly Korean. Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing, 33(3), 425-432.
- Kim, S. S. (1994). Experience of family caregivers caring for the patients with stroke. Korean Journal of Nursing Query, 3(1), 67-88.
- Korea National Statistics Office (2008). Death and cause of death statistics, Retrieved December 5, 2009, from http:// www.kostat.go.kr
- Kwan, E. H. (2005). A study on the relation of senile patients's family support and rehabilitation motive: focused on implications to rehabilitation care. Journal of Korean Local Government & Administration Studies, 19(3), 19-47.
- Lee, D. G. (2007). A study on economic stress-related factors with stroke patients. Unpublished master's thesis, Mokwon University, Daejeon.
- Lee, J. H. (2009). The effects of meditation music with nature sound on stroke patients stress reduction. Unpublished master's thesis, Sookmyung Women's University, Seoul.
- Lee, M. H. (2009). Influencing factors of depression and stress in stroke patients. Unpublished master's thesis, Kosin University, Pusan.
- Madden, S., Hopman, W. M., Bagg, S., Verner, J., & O'Challaghan, C. J. (2006). Functional status and healthrelated quality of life during inpatient stroke rehabilitation. American Journal of Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation, 85(10), 831-838.
- Ministry of Health and Welfare. (2008, April). Statistics of disabled people in 2008. Retrieved April 29, 2009, from http://www.mw.go.kr.
- National Health Insurance Corporation. (2010, August 9). Disease statistics. Retrieved August 9, 2010, from http:// www.nhic.or.kr/portal/site/main/menuitem
- Neuman, B. (Eds.) (1982). The Neuman System Model: Application to nursing education and practice. Norwalk: Appletion- Century-Crofts.
- Park, W. K. (1987). Perceive stress and depression in hemiplegia patients using Neuman stressors concepts factors. Unpublished master's thesis, Ehwa Womans University, Seoul.
- Park, Y. S., & Kwan, S. S. (2002). Factors affecting stroke patients` rehabilitation motivation. Journal of Korean Public Health Association, 28(1), 21-30.
- So, H. Y., Cho, B. H., & Seo, Y. O. (2007). Rehabilitation nursing. Seoul: Hyunmoonsa.
- Tse, S. H. (2006). The effects of aromatherapy on the depression and stress in patients with stroke. Unpublished master's thesis, Ajou University, Suwon.
- Zimet, G. D., Dahlem, W., Zimet, S. G., & Farley, G. K. (1988). The multidimensional scale of perceived social support. Journal of Personality Assessment, 52(1), 30-41.