- Volume 18 Issue 4
Background: The purpose of this study was to identify weight control behavior according to body mass index and perception of body-image, and factors that affect weight control behavior in female college students. Methods: A convenience sample of 276 female college students agreed to complete a questionnaire. Data were collected from October 5 to October 15, 2009. The data were analyzed using SPSS win 18.0 program with descriptive statistics, Chi-square test and Logistic regression. Results: According to preferred body type, 86.9% of the students who preferred slim, 13.3% who preferred their own body type, and 4.2% who preferred chubby reported using weight control behavior. For weight control behavior according to satisfaction with body type, 82.9% of the students who were dissatisfied with their body type and 52.8% who were satisfied practiced weight control behavior. Variables influencing weight control behavior were body mass index (underweight OR 1.37, p=.050), cognition of the body (chubby/fat OR 2.68, p=.047), and preferred body type (slim OR 1.29, p=.006). Conclusion: The results of this study indicate that, health providers need to educate female college students about appropriate body image and weight control behavior. Also, more studies are needed to identify other factor influencing weight control behaviors.
- Chaung, S. K. (2001). Weight control practices and body image of female college students. Korean Journal of Health Education and Promotion, 18, 163-175.
- Chun, C. G., & Lee, M. O. (2007). The effect of adolescent body-related variables, self-esteem on eating disorder behavior. Korean Journal of Human Ecology, 16, 1041-1050.
- Doo. M., & Kim, Y. (2008). Study on the status in body weight loss practice according to age and gender of subjects with experiences of attempting to lose weight in seoul. The Korean Society of Food Science and Nutrition, 37, 571-577. https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2008.37.5.571
- James, D. C. (2003). Gender differences in body mass index and weight loss strategies among African Americans. Journal of the American Dietetic Association, 103, 1360-1362. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0002-8223(03)01071-X
- Jaworowska, A., & Bazylak, G. (2009). An outbreak of body weight dissatisfaction associated with self-perceived BMI and dieting among female pharmacy students. Biomedicine & pharmacotherapy, 63, 679-692. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.biopha.2008.08.005
- Jea-Gal, J. (2006). Consciousness of body image and obesity, and behavior of body weight controls among female students of college in Daejeon area. Unpublished master's thesis, Chungnam National University, Daejeon.
- Jin, E. H. (2007). A comparative study on the self perceptio of body image in college students. Journal of Korea Academy of Public Health Nursing, 21, 67-74.
- Jung, Y. K., & Tae, Y. S. (2004). Factors affecting body weight control behavior of female college students. Korean Journal of Adult Nursing, 16, 545-555
- Kang, J. H. (1999). Diagnosis and evaluation of obesity. The Korean Journal of Obesity, 8, 36-46.
- Kang, J. H. (2008). Inappropriate eating and weight control increase the risk of TOFI (Thin Outside, Fat Inside). Retrieved August 25, 2008, from http://www.medigate.net
- Kang, J. S., Kim, Y. Y., Kim, M. Y., & Jung, D. Y. (2009). A Study on Body Attitude, Body Mass Index, and Perceived Stress among Women's College Students. Journal of Korea Academy of Public Health Nursing, 23, 296-305.
- Kim, E. A. (2005). The weight control behaviors of body-image in high school girls. Unpublished master's thesis, Yonsei university, Seoul.
- Kim, H. S., Oh, E. G., Hyong, H. K., & Cho, E. S. (2008). A study on factors influencing health promotion lifestyle in college students. Journal of Korean Academy of Community Health Nursing, 19, 506-520.
- Kim, J. H. (2008). A Study on the Factors that Influenced on Weight Control Diet Experience of the Female Nursing Students. The Journal of Korean Biological Nursing Science, 10, 19-24.
- Nam. H. J., & Kim, Y. S. (2005). Study on association between risk of eating disorder and self-esteem on body image. The Korean Journal of Food And Nutrition, 18, 115-125.
- Park, J. R. (2000). A study on knowledge, attitude and behavior about general health among university students in Seoul. Unpublished master's thesis, Ewha Womans University, Seoul.
- Sorensen, T. I., Stunkard, A. J., Teasdale, T. W., & Higgins, M. W. (1983). The accuracy of reports of weight: Children's recall of their parents' weight 15 years earlier. International Journal of Obesity, 7, 115-122.
- Sung, M. H (2004). The Relationship between Eating Disorders, Self-esteem and Depression among in College Women. Journal of Korean Academy of Fundamental Nursing, 11, 59-66.