- Volume 31 Issue 6
The present study was carried out to investigate the effects of magnesium supplement levels and periods on calcium, magnesium, and phosphorus metabolism in male Sprague-Dawley rats given low protein and magnesium deficient diets for 2 weeks. Serum calcium content was significantly lower in the magnesium supplement group than in the magnesium-deficient group, but calcium excretion in urine and feces was significantly increased as magnesium level and period was increased. Increasing the dietary magnesium level and periods raised serum content and excretion of magnesium in urine k feces. Urinary excretion of phosphorus in two week group was significantly lower in the magnesium supplement group than in the magnesium-deficient group. fecal phosphorus excretion in supplement group (Mg 800mg/kg diet) was significantly higher than that of other group. (Korean J Nutrition 31(6) : 1031-1038, 1998)
- J Clin Chem Biochem v.18 Magnesium metabolism : a review Ebel,H.;Gunther,T.
- Recommended Dietary Allowances(Ninth edition) The National Research Council
- Clin Chem Acta v.95 Hypomagnesemia in diabetes Mather,H.M.;Nisbet,J.A.;Burton,G.H.;Posten,G.J.;Bland,J.M.;Balley,P.A.;Pilkington,T.R.E.
- J Korean diabetes Associat v.13 Correlations between serum magnesium concentration and metabolic control, and other variables in diabetic Han,J.H.;Yoon,K.H.;Kang,M.I.;Hong,K.S.;Cha,B.Y.Lee,K.W.;Son,H.Y.;Kang,S.K.
- Sports nutrition. minerals and electrolytes Kies,C.V.;Driskell,J.A.
- J Am Coll Nutr v.11 Effect of magnesium supplementation on strength training in humans Brilla,L.R.;Haley,T.F.
- Magnesium Res v.2 Comparative study of the effect of magnesium replacement in runners and in sports involving strength(double-blind trial) Beuker,F.;Helbig,H.
- Biochem Med v.24 no.1 Serum Mg in acute medical and surgical conditions Abraham,A.S.;Shaoul,R.;Shimonovitz,S.;Eylath,U.;Weinstein,M.
- Modern nutrition in health and disease(6th ed.) Shils,M.E.;Olson,J.A.;Shike,M.
- Magnesium Deficiency New data on magnesium and lipid interrelationships in the pathogenesis of vascular disease Rayssiguier,Y.
- J Nutr v.113 Influence of maternal magnesium deficiency on tissue lead content of rats Cerklewski,F.L.
- J Chron Dis v.30 Magnesium deficiency and refractoriness to potassium repletion Whang,R.;Aikawa.J.K.
- Magnesium Deficiency v.70 The production of secondary potassium depletion, sodium retention, nephrocalcinosis and hypercalcemia by magnesium deficiency Macintyre,I.;Davidsson,D.
- Osteoporos Int v.6 Magnesium deficiency : possible role in osteoporosis associated with gluten-sensitive enteropathy Rude,R.K.;Olerich,M.
- Am J Clin Nutr v.29 Vit D resistance in Mg deficiency Medalle,R.;Waterhouse,C.A.;Hahn,T.J.
- J Am Diet Associat v.86 Minerals and mineral interaction in human beings Spencer,H.
- Korean J Nutrition v.26 Effects of magnesium supplement levels and periods on lipid metabolism and enzyme activities in rats Jung,B.M.;Koh,J.B.;Kim,J.Y.
- Lab Prac v.20 Wet ashing apparatus to prepare biological materials for atomic absorption spectrophotometry Thompson,R.H.;Blanchflower,W.J.
- J Biol Chem v.66 The colorimetric determination of phosphorus Fiske,C.H.;Subbarow,Y.
- J Nutr Sci Vitaminol v.41 The bioavailability of magnesium in spinach and the effects of oxalic acid on magnesium utilization examined in diets of magnesium-deficient rats Kikunaga,S.;Ishii,H.;Takahashi,M.
- J Nutr v.115 Magnesium efficiency in the rat increases tissue of docosahexaenoic acid Cunnane,S.C.;Soma,M.;Mcadoo,K.R.;Horrobin,D.F.
- Nutrition v.13 Mononuclear blood cell magnesium content and serum magnesium concentration in critically ill hypomagnesemic patients after replacement therapy Sacks,G.S.;Brown,R.O.;Dickerson,R.N.;Bhattacharya,S.;Lee,P.D.;Mowatt-Larssen,C.;Ilardi,G.;Kudsk,K.A.
- Poult Sci v.76 Effect of dietary magnesium excess in White Leghorn hens Hess,J.B.;Britton,W.M.
- Br J Nutr v.74 Effect of dietary magnesium level on urinary and faecal excretion of calcium, magnesium and phosphorus in adult, ovariectomized cats Pastoor,F.J.;Van't Klooster,A.T.;Opitz,R.;Beynen,A.C.
- J Nutr Sci Vitaminol v.43 In vivo absorption of calcium carbonate and magnesium oxide from the large intestine in rats Ohta,A.;Baba,S.;Ohtsuki,M.;TakiZawa,T.;Adachi,T.;Hara,H.
- J Nutr Sci Vitaminol v.42 Effects of calcium gluconate on the utilization of magnesium and the nephrocalcinosis in rats fed excess dietary phosphorus and calcium Chonan,O.;Takahashi,R.;Kado,S.;Nagata,Y.;Kimura,H.;Uchida,K.;Watanuki,M.
- Exp Anim v.45 Effect of chronic high protein intake on magnesium, calcium, and phosphorus balance in growing cats Hashimoto,M.;Funaba,M.;Abe,M.;Ohshima,S.