- Volume 37 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Study on Energy Independence Plan and Economic Effects for Sewage Treatment Plant
하수처리시설의 에너지자립화 및 경제적 효과분석
- Park, Kihak (Department of Environment Energy Engineering, Suwon University) ;
- Lee, Hosik (Department of Railroad Infra System Engineering, Korea National University of Transportation) ;
- Ha, Junsu (Blue technology co. ltd) ;
- Kim, Keugtae (Department of Environment Energy Engineering, Suwon University) ;
- Lim, Chaeseung (Department of Applied Microbiology, The University of Tokyo)
- Received : 2020.09.28
- Accepted : 2021.03.19
- Published : 2021.03.30
It is generally known that a wastewater treatment plant (WWTP) consumes immense energy even if it can produce energy. With an aim to increase the energy independence rate of WWTP from 3.5% in 2010 to 50% in 2030, the Korean government has invested enormous research funds. In this study, cost-effective operating alternatives were investigated by analyzing the energy efficiency and economic feasibility for biogas and power generation using new and renewable energy. Based on the US EPA Energy Conservation Measures and Korea ESCO projects, energy production and independence rate were also analyzed. The main energy consumption equipment in WWTP is the blower for aeration, discharge pump for effluent, and pump for influent. Considering the processes of WWTP, the specific energy consumption rate of the process using media and MBR was the lowest (0.549 kWh/㎥) and the highest (1.427 kWh/㎥), respectively. Energy-saving by enhancing anaerobic digester efficiency was turned out to be efficient when in conjunction with stable wastewater treatment. The result of economic analysis (B/C ratio) was 2.5 for digestive gas power generation, 0.86 for small hydropower, 0.49 for solar energy, and 0.15 for wind energy, respectively. Furthermore, it was observed that the energy independence rate could be enhanced by installing energy production facilities such as solar and small hydropower and reducing energy consumption via the replacement of high-efficiency operating.
- Busan Environmental Corporation. (2016). Public sewage operation management in 2016, Busan Environmental Corporation.
- Daegu Environment Corporation. (2015). New market creation: Energy conservation projects, Daegu Environment Corporation.
- Daejeon Metropolitan City Facilities Management Corporation. (2016). Introduction of high-efficiency facilities and renewable energy application, Daejeon Metropolitan City Facilities Management Corporation.
- Ehlen, M. A. and Marshall, H. E (1996). The economics of new-technology materials: A case study of FRP bridge decking, NISTIR 5864, National Institute of Standards & Technology.
- Greenhouse Gas Inventory and Research Center (GIR). (2020). Emission Trading Registry System (ETRS), https://etrs.gir.go.kr/etrs/ (accessed Jan. 2020).
- Gwangju Environmental Corporation. (2008). Increased efficiency and economic feasibility by changing the material of the spiral diffuser, Gwangju Environmental Corporation.
- Hong, K. D. (2004). Livestock wastewater treatment by a constructed wetland, Journal of Korea Society of Water Environment, 20(2), 873-879. [Korean Literature]
- Jo, S. H. (2016). Energy efficiency improvement and self-reliance plan of public sewage treatment facilities in Gwangju Metropolitan City, Gwangju Jeonnam Research Institute, 2016-23. [Korean Literature]
- Korea Development Institute. (2008). Modified and supplemented study on the standard guidelines for preliminary feasibility study of water resource sector projects, 4th edition, 2894.
- Korea Engineering and consulting association. (2020). Announcement of the results of the survey on wages of engineering companies, https://www.etis.or.kr/webs/data/data_board.jsp?leftParam=1&topParam=9&boardId=TOTALBBS (accessed Jan. 2020).
- Korea Environment Corporation. (2017). A study on improvement of integrated management sewage facility operation, Korea Environment Corporation.
- Korea Power exchange. (2020). Korea Power exchange, hhttp://www.kpx.or.kr/ (accessed Jan. 2020).
- Min, C. G., Hur. D., and Park, J. K. (2014). Economic evaluation of offshore wind farm in Korea, The transactions of The Korean Institute of Electrical Engineers, 63(9), 1192-1198. [Korean Literature] https://doi.org/10.5370/KIEE.2014.63.9.1192
- Ministry of Environment (ME). (2010). A master plan of energy self-reliance, Ministry of Environment.
- Ministry of Environment. (ME). (2019a). A study on the actual condition of deterioration of public sewage treatment facilities and feasibility study for improvement, Ministry of Environment.
- Ministry of Environment. (ME). (2019b). A study on the policy of energy self-reliance in public sewage treatment facilities, Ministry of Environment.
- National Institute of Environmental Research (NIER). (2017). Analysis of biogas production facilities in Sweden, SE0000410246, Environmental resources research department waste resource energy research department, 572.88,, https://sejong.nl.go.kr/search/searchDetail.do?rec_key=SH1_KMO201818433&kwd= [Korean Literature].
- United States Environmental Protection Agency (U. S. EPA.). (2010). Evaluation of energy conservation measures for wastewater treatment facilities, United States Environmental Protection Agency.
- Water Journal. (2011). A case of improvement of bioreactor facility in Daegu environmental facilities, http://waterjournal.co.kr/news/articleView.html?idxno=13266,(accessed July, 2011).