- Volume 23 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
Analysis of Determinants of Technological Innovation for SMEs Using Corporate Panel DB
기업 패널 DB를 활용한 대구지역 중소기업 기술혁신 결정요인 분석
- Seong, Byungho (Regional Innovation Agency, Daegu Technopark) ;
- Kim, Taesung (School of Industrial Engineering, Kumoh National Institute of Technology)
- 성병호 (대구테크노파크 정책기획단) ;
- 김태성 (금오공과대학교 산업공학부)
- Received : 2021.01.21
- Accepted : 2021.03.09
- Published : 2021.03.31
In SMEs, technological innovation is recognized as an important tool in terms of sustainable growth. This study analyzed the determinants of technological innovation by using the information of the corporate panel DB composed of local SMEs. The internal factors were added with technological innovation capacity and production capacity and the industrial cluster environment was first applied to external factors. Also, whether the industrial cluster environment influences technological innovation through R&D capabilities, the mediating effect was tested with the Sobel Test. Among the internal and external factors, the most important determinant was marketing ability, and a policy was proposed to develop measures to increase R&D capability with mediating effect. Among the technological innovation variables, which are dependent variables, the most determinant factor was the proportion of new product sales. For this, it is considered that additional research such as longitudinal research with the concept of repetition and parallax using the corporate panel DB is necessary.
- Barney, J. (1991), "Firm resources and sustained competitive advantage." Journal of Management, 17 (1):99-120. https://doi.org/10.1177/014920639101700108 https://doi.org/10.1177/014920639101700108
- C. Y. Li(2008), "Determinants of the adoption of technological innovations by logistics service providers in China." International Journal of Technology Management & Sustainable Development, 7(1): 19-38. https://doi.org/10.1386/ijtm.7.1.19_1 https://doi.org/10.1386/ijtm.7.1.19_1
- D. C. Seol, C. W. Park(2020), "A study on the factors of technology innovation competency on knowledge management performance: Focusing on government small and medium venture company R&D business." Proceedings of Conference on Business Venturing, Spring, 51-57.
- Economic Growth Rate in Korea(2019), ECOS, Bank of Korea.
- F. J. H. M. Verhees, M. T. G. Meulenberg(2004), "Market orientation, innovativeness, product innovation, and performance in small firms." Journal of Small Business Management, 42(2):134-154. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11365-013-0290-3 https://doi.org/10.1007/s11365-013-0290-3
- G. Ahuja, C. M. Lampert, V. Tandon(2017), "Moving beyond schumpeter: Management research on the determinants of technological innovation." Academy of Management Annals, 2(1):1-98. https://doi.org/10.1177/0149206311407507 https://doi.org/10.1177/0149206311407507
- H. J. Thamhain(2003), "Managing innovative R&D teams." R&D Management, 33(3):297-311. https://doi.org/10.1111/1467-9310.00299 https://doi.org/10.1111/1467-9310.00299
- I. D'Attoma, M. Ieva(2020), "Determinants of technological innovation success and failure: Does marketing innovation matter?" Industrial Marketing Management, 91:64-81. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.indmarman.2020.08.015
- I. Kocoglua, S. Z. Imamoglua, H. Incea, H. Keskin (2012), "Learning, R&D and manufacturing capabilities as determinants of technological learning: Enhancing innovation and firm performance." Procedia-Social and Behavioral Sciences 58:842-852. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.sbspro.2012.09.1062
- J. A. Keizer, L. Dijkstra, J. I. M. Halman(2002), "Explaining innovative efforts of SMEs: An exploratory survey among SMEs in the mechanical and electrical engineering sector in the Netherlands." Technovation, 22(1):1-13. https://doi.org/10.1177/1465750318807401 https://doi.org/10.1177/1465750318807401
- J. H. Jung(2017), "A study on the industrial clusters in a region using big data." Journal of the Korea Contents Association, 17(2):543-554. http://www.riss.kr/link?id=A102876539 https://doi.org/10.5392/JKCA.2017.17.02.543
- J. H. Jung(2019), "A study on the clusters in the electronic industry using social network analysis." Journal of the Korea Contents Association, 19(5): 48-63. https://doi.org/10.5392/JKCA.2019.19.05.048
- J. H. Lee(2020), "A case study of the traded industrial cluster in the US: Focusing on the TVC energy cluster." Korea Association for International Commerce and Information, Commerce Information Research, 22(3):115-139. https://doi.org/10.15798/kaici.2020.22.3.115
- J. V. Souitaris(2001), "External communication det erminants of innovation in the context of a newly industrial country: A comparison of objective and perceptual results from Greece." Technovation, 21(1): 25-34. https://doi.org/10.11627/jkise.2014.37.1.79 https://doi.org/10.11627/jkise.2014.37.1.79
- K. B. Nahm(2016), "The end of 'selection and concentration': Towards a new post-cluster regional industrial policies." Journal of the Economic Geographical Society of Korea, 19(4):764-781. https://doi.org/10.14400/JDC.2019.17.6.193 https://doi.org/10.14400/JDC.2019.17.6.193
- L. Wang, G. Luo, A. Sari, X. F. Shao(2020), "What nurtures fourth industrial revolution? An investigation of economic and social determinants of technological innovation in advanced economies." Technological Forecasting and Social Change, 161:120-305.
- N. Becheikh, R. Landry, N. Amara(2006), "Lessons from innovation empirical studies in the manufacturing sector: A systematic review of the literature from 1993-2003." Technovation, 26(5-6):644-664. https://doi.org/10.1177/0019793917701116 https://doi.org/10.1177/0019793917701116
- N. O'Regan, A. Ghobadian, M. Sims(2006), "Fast tracking innovation in manufacturing SMEs." Technovation, 26(2):251-261. https://doi.org/10.14400/JDC.2018.16.1.125 https://doi.org/10.14400/JDC.2018.16.1.125
- O. H. Kwon(2004), "A study on the institutional supporting system for forming industrial cluster in large area." Journal of the Economic Geographical Society of Korea, 7(2):315-328. UCI: G704-001359.2004.7.2.004
- Promotion Plan to Foster Global Specialized Companies(2013), MOTIE.
- R. B. Seo, J. S. Sung, H. E. Yoon(2012), "The effects of collaborative R&D network and entrepreneurship on technological innovation activity and performance of venture business in industrial clusters." Journal of Entrepreneurship and Venture Studies, 15(3):43-68.
- R. H. Weng, J. A. Huang, Y. H. Kuo, C. Y. Huang, et al.(2011), "Determinants of technological innovation and its effect on hospital performance." African Journal of Business Management, 5(11): 4314-4327.
- S. H. Kim, J. H. Kim(2011), "An exploratory study on the performance of open product innovation: Product innovation strategy, source and partner contribution perspectives." Korean Journal of Business Administration, 24(2):685-703. https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2018.19.5.373 https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2018.19.5.373
- S. H. Yoo(2006), "Analysis on the modelling and determinants of technological innovation output." Science and Technology Policy Institute, Policy Materials, 1-77.
- S. J. Hwang, J. G. Shin(2017), "Situational factors and technological innovation: The moderating effect of internal factors, Korean society for human resource development." Human Resource Development Research, 20(3):103-129. https://doi.org/10.24991/KJHRD.2017.09.20.3.103 https://doi.org/10.24991/KJHRD.2017.09.20.3.103
- S. T. Kim, G. H. Rho(2004), "An analysis on regional innovation cluster estimation and its effects on regional economic growth." Korean Association of Applied Economics, 6(2):63-98. UCI: G704-001413.2004.6.2.008
- S. W. Lee, J. G. Shin, K. H. Yeo(2019), "The relationship between collaboration with external institution and new product sales of SMEs: The role of technological innovation and marketing capability." Small and Medium Business Research, 41(3):77-94. https://doi.org/10.36491/APJSB.41.3.4 https://doi.org/10.36491/APJSB.41.3.4
- S. Y. Lee(2011), "The study of industrial clusters in the Busan, Ulsan, Koungnam as Southeast Area of Korea analysed by the Location Quotient(LQ) analysis method." Journal of Technology Innovation Society, 14(3):599-621. UCI: G704-001043.2011.14.3.007
- T. K. Sung(2005). "Determinants of firm's innovative output: The role of external networks and firm size." Korean Journal of Business Administration, 18(4):1767-1788. https://doi.org/10.13088/jiis.2013.19.4.021 https://doi.org/10.13088/jiis.2013.19.4.021
- T. K. Sung, J. S. Kim(2009). "Determinants of firm's innovative performance: Evidence from Jeonbuk-based Firms in Korea." DAEHAN Association of Business Administration, Spring Academic Conference, 605-622. https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2018.19.5.373 https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2018.19.5.373
- V. Sobanke, S. Adegbite, M. Ilori, A. Egbetokun (2014), "Determinants of technological capability of firms in a developing country." Procedia Engineering, 69:991-1000. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.proeng.2014.03.081 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.proeng.2014.03.081
- W. C. Lee, W. G. Yoo(2007), "A study on the development of medical equipment industry cluster: Focusing on the development of Wonju medical industry techno valley." Health Economy and Policy Research, 13(2):55-70.
- W. K. Oh(2012), "Determinants of innovation and patent: Focusing manufacturing industry in KIS 2010." STEPI, Other Research, 1-32.
- W. K. Oh, G. H. Kim(2015), "Analysis of determinants of technological innovation in Gyeonggi-do companies, Asian Society for Innovation and Policy." Proceedings of the Korea Technology Innovation Society Conference, 423-429.
- Y. S. Kim(2012), "Characteristics of Korean cluster policy and necessity of evolution as local industry ecosystem theory." Korean Regional Society, 28(4), 23-42.
- Y. S. Kim(2017), "Direction of regional industrial policy in the era of the 4th industrial revolution." Global Trends and the Fourth Industrial Revolution Response Regional Policy Status and Regional Industrial Policy Direction Joint Academic Symposium, Designated as National Innovation Convergence Complex, Notice No. 2018-193, Ministry of Trade Industry and Energy.
- Y. Y. Yoo, J. H. Rho(2010), "The analysis for the determinant factors on the outcome of technology innovation among small and medium manufacturers." The Journal of Society for e-Business Studies, 15(1):61-87. https://doi.org/10.15843/kpapr.24.4.201012.207