- Volume 11 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
A Qualitative Study on the Successful Aging Perception of Retirees by Age
연령별 은퇴자의 성공적 노화 인식에 관한 질적 연구
- Chung, Ju-Young (Social Welfare, Graduate School, Kosin University) ;
- Lee, Mi-Ran (Dept. of Social Welfare, Kosin University)
- Received : 2021.02.15
- Accepted : 2021.03.20
- Published : 2021.03.28
This study utilizes PhotoVoice, a qualitative research method, to explore the life experiences of retirees by age in depth and derive the social welfare implications required for successful aging of retirees. Two participants in the study were selected in their 70s, 60s, and 50s, and 24 photos, explanations, 44 stories, and 92 data collected through group activities and personal interviews were analyzed. With the perception of successful aging, those in their 70s were "Preparing for a High Level of Social Responsibility and Dignity," those in their 60s were "Life of Social Responsibility and Service with Embarrassment and Boeun," and those in their 50s were "Life of Self-reliance with Economic Stability and Consideration." In order to prevent social problems for retirees with longer old age, research and social welfare policy support for their social jobs and volunteer positions are urgently needed, and the sooner the preparatory education is implemented so that they can prepare enough. This study is significant in that it played an important role in presenting basic data for the preparation of social welfare alternatives for retirees.
본 연구는 연령별 은퇴자들의 삶의 경험을 심층적으로 탐구하여 이를 바탕으로 은퇴자들의 성공적 노화에 요구되는 사회 복지적 함의를 도출하고자 질적 연구방법인 포토보이스를 활용하였다. 연구 참여자는 70대, 60대, 50대 각 2명씩 선정하였고, 집단 활동과 개인면담으로 수집한 사진 24장, 설명 24건, 이야기 44건, 총 92건의 자료를 분석한 결과, 성공적 노화의 인식으로 70대는 <사회적 책임감과 품위 있는 높은 경지의 삶을 준비함>, 60대는 <비움과 보은의 자세로 사회적 책임과 봉사의 삶>, 50대는 <경제적 안정과 배려로 자립하는 삶>이었다. 노년기가 길어진 은퇴자들의 사회적 문제를 예방하는 차원에서 이들의 사회적 일자리와 봉사자리 마련에 대한 연구와 사회복지정책지원이 시급하며, 또한 충분한 준비를 할 수 있도록 준비교육의 시행기간이 빠를수록 좋을 것으로 사료된다. 본 연구는 은퇴자를 위한 노년기 사회 복지적 대안 마련의 기초자료 제시에 중요한 역할을 한 점에서 연구의 의의를 가진다.
- E. J. Chang. (2006). A Study on the Recognition Difference between Couples about the Change of Family after Retirement. Doctoral dissertation. Ewha Womans University. Seoul.
- H. S. Lee. (2019). The Work-family Life Story of Women in Retirement Age and the Meaning of 'Retirement'. Doctoral dissertation. Seoul National University. Seoul.
- J. H. Kim & J. Y. Park. (2015). The Influence of Anxiety over Aging of the Elderly Group on Successful Aging and the Mediation Effect of Social Support. The Journal of the Korea Contents Association. 15(9), 210-222. DOI : 10.5392/JKCA.2015.15.09.210 https://doi.org/10.5392/JKCA.2015.15.09.210
- M. J. Lee. (2010). A Study on Influential Factors for Successful Aging - Focusing on the Elderly at Home in YongSan-Gu Distric -. Hanyang University. Seoul.
- K. R. Park & Y. S. Yi. (2002). A Study on Perceptions of Successful Aging in Later Life. Seoul.. The Korean Gerontological Society.
- S. Cheng, I. Chi, H. H. Fung, L. Li & J. Woo. (2015). Successful Aging: Concepts, Reflections and Its Relevance to Asia. Successful Aging Asian Perspectives. Springer Dordrecht Heidelberg New York London. 1-18. DOI : 10.1007/978-94-017-9331-5_1
- H. K. Cho. (2002). A Study on the Successful Aging - through the Adult Learning of Korean Elderlies -. Doctoral dissertation. Yonsei. University. Seoul.
- C. C. Wang. (1999). Photovoice: A Participatory Action Research Strategy Applied to Women's Health, Journal of Women's Health. 8(2). 185-192. https://doi.org/10.1089/jwh.1999.8.185
- M. R. Lee. (2019). A Study on the Elderly Leisure Activity in the Community to Improve the Resilience of the Elderly. Asia-pacific Journal of Multimedia Services Convergent with Art, Humanities, and Sociology. 9(3), 685-694 DOI : 10.21742/AJMAHS.2019.03.64 https://doi.org/10.21742/AJMAHS.2019.03.64
- Y. H. Park. (2017). The Influence of Perception for Successful Aging and Preparation for Old Age in Middle Age : The Mediating Effects of Pre-retirement Planning Education for Old Age. Doctoral dissertation. Hyupsung University. Gyeonggi-do.