- Volume 1 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
Critical Review of Global Strategy in Japanese Small- and Medium-sized Companies: A Case of I.S.T Corporation that Dominated the Global Market
일본 중소기업의 글로벌전략과 검토 과제: 세계를 제패한 I.S.T 기업 사례
- Kang, Sangmin (Department of Contemporary Business, International Pacific University) ;
- Kim, Changju (College of Business Administration, Ritsumeikan University) ;
- Tanaka, Mikihiro (College of Business Administration, Ritsumeikan University)
- Received : 2020.07.15
- Accepted : 2020.08.25
- Published : 2020.08.31
In an intensively competitive global market, small-and medium-sized firms are puzzled about how to develop sustainable competitive advantages against global rivalries, thus leading satisfactory economic performance. However, despite the roles and contributions of such small-and medium-sized firms in the local community and national economies in Japan, little guidance has been offered to the practical issues related to their strategic behaviors toward global management. To fill this notable knowledge gap, this study aims to investigate the conditions in which how Japanese small-and medium-sized could dominates global market, which is one of key challenges in the literature of small business and entrepreneurship. To obtain better insights to this research area, this study undertakes an in-depth interview survey with I.S.T (Industrial Summit Technology) Corporation that shows off the highest global market share (40 per cent) with seamless polyimide tube product widely used in office automation equipment (e.g., copiers and printers). This method of survey is designed to deeply understand historical considerations about how I.S.T Corporation could dominate in the global market of such seamless polyimide tube product. Based on findings drawn from an interview, this study identifies five major factors enabling I.S.T Corporation to be a competitive global hidden company: vision sharing through founder's entrepreneurship, core competence, strategic network, risk management, and employee engagement. Specifically, to become a global hidden champion, sharing the vision motivating employees to partake in shaping company's future will be the first step on the road to global success through founder's entrepreneurship. However, in order to achieve such a vision, the importance of company's core competence cannot be overemphasized, which differentiates your customer solution with those of competitors. As such, a group of experts will be naturally formed and demonstrates your expertise in the global market, thereby building sustainable competitiveness. On the other hand, to maintain sustainable competitiveness, it is necessary to make up for the weaknesses small-and medium-sized firms suffer from competitive resources while strengthening their own strengths through strategic networks with external organizations. Here, every company has to understand the critical role of risk management, which is essential in this process of being global company so as not to lose your own strengths. Last but not least, do not forget the significant effects of employee engagement in firm performance. To enhance employees' engagement, a company has to create an ideal organization culture which fits into company's history and personality. In doing so, such organization culture can allow the vision and strategy to be implemented into detailed business tactics while facilitating employees to challenge the status quo by experimenting with creative ideas.
- 한국은행포항본부, 2014, "주간 경제 다이제스트. No.6, 독일 일본 글로벌 히든챔피언 기업의 경영전략과 시사점", 한국은행포항본부.
- 황경진, 홍기석, 박훈덕, 2017, 글로벌 히든챔피언 발굴, 성장과정과 경쟁력 확보 전략, 중소기업연구원.
- Gereffi, G. 1999, "International Trade and Industrial Upgrading in the Apparel Commodity Chain", Journal of International Economics, 48(1), pp.37-70. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0022-1996(98)00075-0
- Gereffi, G., Humphrey, J., and Sturgeon, T., 2005, "The Governance of Global Value Chains", Review of international Political Economy, 12(1), pp.78-104. https://doi.org/10.1080/09692290500049805
- Gulati, R., and Gargiulo, M., 1999, "Where Do Inter-organizational Networks Come From?", American Journal of Sociology, 104(5), pp.1439-1493. https://doi.org/10.1086/210179
- Hitt, M. A., Ireland, R. D., and Hoskisson, R. E., 2008, Strategic Management: Competitiveness and Globalization, CENGAGE Learning, (久原 正治, 横山寛美訳, 2014, "戦略経営論-競争力とグローバリゼーション-改訂新版", センゲージラーニング).
- Simon, H., 2009, Hidden Champions of the Twenty-first Century: The Success Strategies of Unknown Wolrd Market Leaders, Spinger Science and Business Media, New York.
- Wad, P., 2008, "The Development of Automotive parts Suppliers in Korea and Malaysia: A Global Value Chain Perspective", Asia Pacific Business Review, 14(!), pp.47-64. https://doi.org/10.1080/13602380701661002
- Whitfield, L., Staritz, C., Melese, A. T., and Azizi, S. A., 2020, "Technological Capabilities, Upgrading, and Value Capture in Global Value Chains: Local Apparel and Floriculture Firms in Sub-Saharan Africa", Economic Geography, 96(3), pp.195-218. https://doi.org/10.1080/00130095.2020.1748497
- 小井川広志, 2008, "グローバル.バリュー.チェーン(GVC)分析の展望:世界システム,アップグレード, ガバナンスの概念をめぐって", 経済学研究, 第58巻, 第３号, 99-114頁.
- 大津財務事務所財務課, 2017,"まいど!ざいむ局です!関西元気企業:世の中にないから価値がある", http://kinki.mof.go.jp/content/000164084.pdf (2020年7月22日閲覧).
- 起業TV, 2017a, "複合材料の技術を販売する会社を創業, I.S.T阪根勇会長の 経営者として大切にしている信念 ", https://kigyotv.jp/interview/istcorp-3/(2020年7月22日閲覧).
- 起業TV, 2017b, "材料開発を行う技術屋集団, I.S.T阪根勇会長が語る 研究開発におけるテーマ選びの重要性 ", https://kigyotv.jp/interview/istcorp-4/(2020年7月22日閲覧).
- 起業TV, 2017c, "高い技術力を誇る研究開発型メーカー, I.S.T阪根勇会長が世代交代に至った経緯 ", https://kigyotv.jp/interview/istcorp-5/(2020年7月22日閲覧).
- 経済産業省, 厚生労働省, 文部科学省, 2019, ものづくり白書2019年版, 経済産業省製造産業局ものづくり政策審議室.
- 中小企業庁, 2020, 中小企業白書2020年版, 日経印刷.
- 製造産業局, 2020, グローバルニッチトップ企業100選について2020年版, 経済産業省.
- 雨宮健人, 2020, "世界の長寿企業ランキング, 創業100年, 200年の企業数で日本が1位", https://consult.nikkeibp.co.jp/shunenjigyo-labo/survey_data/I1-03/(2020年6月25日閲覧)