- Volume 21 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Impacts of Digital and Human Knowledge Resources on Customer Response Capability of Customer Service Representatives
비대면 서비스 조직에서 디지털 및 인적 지식자원이 상담사의 고객대응역량에 미치는 영향
- Choi, Sujeong (Mokpo National University)
- 최수정 (목포대학교)
- Received : 2020.08.16
- Accepted : 2020.09.03
- Published : 2020.09.30
In call centers where customers contact a firm's customer service without face-to-face interaction, customer service representatives (CSRs) determine its service competitiveness. In other words, a firm's service excellence relies on its CSRs. Drawing on the concept of agility from service and information technologies studies, this study conceptualizes customer response capability as a variable consisting of customer response expertise and customer response agility, and further verifies its effects on customer service performance. Moreover, this study examines whether a firm's digital and human knowledge resources are related to CSRs' customer response capability. To empirically test the proposed hypotheses, the partial least squares analysis is conducted with a total of 371 responses collected on CSRs from two insurance call centers. The findings indicate that a firm's digital and human knowledge resources enhance CSRs' customer response expertise and customer response agility, thereby increasing customer service performance. The results draw the conclusion that CSRs' customer response capability is a key antecedent of superior customer service.
- 곽기영, 홍문경 (2012). 정보기술역량과 조직학습이 기업성과에 미치는 영향: 조직민첩성의 역할을 중심으로. 경영학연구, 40(4), 1075-1108.
- 박상찬, 차현진 (2017). 지식창출과 활용의 괴리: 녹색기술인증의 제도론적 분석. 지식경영연구, 18(1), 117-138. https://doi.org/10.15813/kmr.2017.18.1.006
- 안경민, 이영찬 (2019). 지적자본이 혁신성과에 미치는 영향: 정보기술 기반의 동적능력을 중심으로. 지식경영연구, 20(4), 1-22. https://doi.org/10.15813/kmr.2019.20.4.001
- 이동윤, 심덕섭, 김형진 (2018). 지식자기효능감이 종업원의 지식공유의도에 미치는 영향: 개인성과 기대 및 과업성과기대의 매개효과 검증. 지식경영연구, 19(3), 31-46.
- 최수정 (2016). 콜센터에서 전자적 지식저장소 내의 고객지식 품질과 서비스 전문성의 관계 그리고 업무효능감의 조절효과. 서비스경영학회지, 17(3), 151-177. https://doi.org/10.15706/JKSMS.2016.17.3.008
- 최수정, 신선진 (2012). 전자적 지식저장소 내의 조직메모리를 활용한 서비스 품질 향상에 관한 연구-서비스 가치 공유 및 지식재이용을 중심으로. 대한경영학회지, 25(9), 3511-3531.
- Alavi, M., & Leidner, D. E. (2001). Review: Knowledge management and knowledge management systems: Conceptual foundations and research issues. MIS Quarterly, 25(1), 107-136. https://doi.org/10.2307/3250961
- Arnold, M. J., & Reynolds, K. E. (2009). Affect and retail shopping behavior: Understanding the role of mood regulation and regulatory focus. Journal of Retailing, 85(3), 308-320. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jretai.2009.05.004
- Barney, J. B. (1991). Firm resources and sustained competitive advantage. Journal of Management, 17(1), 99-120. https://doi.org/10.1177/014920639101700108
- Batt, R., & Moynihan, L. (2002). The viability of alternative call centre production models. Human Resource Management Journal, 12(4), 14-34. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1748-8583.2002.tb00075.x
- Bettencourt, L. A., & Brown, S. W. (1997). Contact employees: Relationships among workplace fairness, job satisfaction and prosocial service behaviors. Journal of Retailing, 73(1), 39-61. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0022-4359(97)90014-2
- Bitner, M. J., Booms, B. H., & Tetreault, M. S. (1990). The service encounter: Diagnosing favorable and unfavorable incidents. Journal of Marketing, 54(1), 71-84. https://doi.org/10.1177/002224299005400105
- Bock, G. W., & Sabherwal, R. (2008). The effect of social context on the success of knowledge repository systems. IEEE Transactions on Engineering Management, 55(4), 536-551. https://doi.org/10.1109/TEM.2008.927824
- Bock, G. W., Mahmood, M., & Sharma, S. (2010). The impact of information overload and contribution overload on continued usage of electronic knowledge repositories. Journal of Organizational Computing and Electronic Commerce, (20), 257-278.
- Carlzon, J. (1987). Moments of truth: New strategics for today's customer-driven economy. N.J.: Harper Collins.
- Chin, W. (1998). Issues and opinion on structural equation modeling. MIS Quarterly, 22(1), 7-16.
- Choi, S., & Ryu, I. (2015). Leveraging accumulated customer knowledge in electronic knowledge repositories for superior customer service. Asia Pacific Journal of Information Systems, 25(3), 519-539. https://doi.org/10.14329/apjis.2015.25.3.519
- Day, G. S. (1994). The capabilities of market-driven organizations. Journal of Marketing, 58(4), 37-56. https://doi.org/10.1177/002224299405800404
- Feinberg, A. R., Kim, I., Hokama, L., De Ruyter, K., & Kenn, C. (2000). Operational determinants of caller satisfaction in the call center. International Journal of Service Industry Management, 11(2), 131-141. https://doi.org/10.1108/09564230010323633
- Fornell, C., & Larker, D. F. (1981). Evaluating structural equations with unobservable variables and measurement error. Journal of Marketing Research, 18(1), 39-50. https://doi.org/10.1177/002224378101800104
- Grant, R. (1996). Prospering in dynamically competitive environments: Organizational capability as knowledge integration. Organization Science, 7(4), 375-387. https://doi.org/10.1287/orsc.7.4.375
- Hult, G. T. M., Ketchen Jr, D. J., & Slater, S. F. (2004). Information processing, knowledge development, and strategic supply chain performance. Academy of Management Journal, 47(2), 241-253. https://doi.org/10.2307/20159575
- Jayachandran, S., Hewett, K., & Kaufman, P. (2004). Customer response capability in a sense-and-respond era: The role of customer knowledge process. Journal of the Academy of Marketing Science, 32(3), 219-233. https://doi.org/10.1177/0092070304263334
- Kanawattanachai, P., & Yoo, Y. (2007). The impact of knowledge coordination on virtual team performance over time. MIS Quarterly, 31(4), 783-808. https://doi.org/10.2307/25148820
- Kankanhalli, A., Tan, B. C. Y., & Wei, K. (2005). Contributing knowledge to electronic knowledge repositories: An empirical investigation. MIS Quarterly, 29(1), 113-143. https://doi.org/10.2307/25148670
- Lytle, R. S., Hom, P. W., & Mokwa, M. P. (1998). Serv*Or: A managerial measure of organizational serviceorientation. Journal of Retailing, 74(4), 455-489. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0022-4359(99)80104-3
- Moorman, C., & Miner, A. S. (1997). The impact of organizational memory on new product performance and creativity. Journal of Marketing Research, 34(1), 91-106. https://doi.org/10.1177/002224379703400108
- Moorman, C., & Miner, A. S. (1998). The convergence of planning and execution: Improvisation in new product development. Journal of Marketing, 62(3), 1-20. https://doi.org/10.1177/002224299806200301
- Parasuraman, A., Zeithaml, V. A., & Berry, L. L. (1988). SERVQUAL: A multiple-item scale for measuring consumer perceptions of service quality. Journal of Retailing, 64(1), 12-40.
- Pavlou, P. A., & El Sawy, O. A. (2010). The third hand: IT-enabled competitive advantage in turbulence through improvisational capabilities. Information Systems Research, 21(3), 443-471. https://doi.org/10.1287/isre.1100.0280
- Reychav, I., & Weisberg, J. (2009). Going beyond technology: Knowledge sharing as a tool for enhancing customer-oriented attitudes. International Journal of Information Management, (29), 353-361.
- Ringle, C. M., Wende, S., & Will, S. (2005). SmartPLS 2.0 (M3) Beta. Hamburg, http://ww.smartpls.de
- Roberts, N., & Grover, V. (2012). Leveraging information technology infrastructure to facilitate a firm's customer agility and competitive activity: An empirical investigation. Journal of Management Information Systems, 28(4), 231-269. https://doi.org/10.2753/MIS0742-1222280409
- Su, C., & Contractor, N. (2011). A multidimensional network approach to studying team members' information seeking from human and digital knowledge sources in consulting firms. Journal of the American Society for Information Science and Technology, 62(7), 1257-1275. https://doi.org/10.1002/asi.21526
- Tallon, P. P., & Pinsonneault, A. (2011). Competing perspectives on the link between strategic information technology alignment and organizational agility: Insights from a mediation model. MIS Quarterly, 35(2), 463-486. https://doi.org/10.2307/23044052
- Wade, M., & Hulland, J. (2004). Review: The resource-based view and information systems research: Review, extension, and suggestions for future research. MIS Quarterly, 28(1), 107-142. https://doi.org/10.2307/25148626