- Volume 24 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
PARALLEL COMPUTATIONAL APPROACH FOR THREE-DIMENSIONAL SOLID ELEMENT USING EXTRA SHAPE FUNCTION BASED ON DOMAIN DECOMPOSITION APPROACH
- JOO, HYUNSHIG (DEPARTMENT OF AEROSPACE ENGINEERING, SEOUL NATIONAL UNIVERSITY) ;
- GONG, DUHYUN (DEPARTMENT OF AEROSPACE ENGINEERING, SEOUL NATIONAL UNIVERSITY) ;
- KANG, SEUNG-HOON (DEPARTMENT OF AEROSPACE ENGINEERING, SEOUL NATIONAL UNIVERSITY) ;
- CHUN, TAEYOUNG (LIGNEX1) ;
- SHIN, SANG-JOON (DEPARTMENT OF AEROSPACE ENGINEERING, INSTITUTE OF ADVANCED AEROSPACE TECHNOLOGY, SEOUL NATIONAL UNIVERSITY)
- Received : 2020.06.09
- Accepted : 2020.06.15
- Published : 2020.06.25
This paper describes the development of a parallel computational algorithm based on the finite element tearing and interconnecting (FETI) method that uses a local Lagrange multiplier. In this approach, structural computational domain is decomposed into non-overlapping sub-domains using local Lagrange multiplier. The local Lagrange multipliers are imposed at interconnecting nodes. 8-node solid element using extra shape function is adopted by using the representative volume element (RVE). The parallel computational algorithm is further established based on message passing interface (MPI). Finally, the present FETI-local approach is implemented on parallel hardware and shows improved performance.
- Farhat, C. and Roux, F. X-. A Method of Finite Element Tearing and Interconnecting and Its Parallel Solution Algorithm, International Journal for Numerical Methods in Engineering, 32 (1991), 1205-1227.
- Farhat, C. and Mandel, J. The two-level FETI method for static and dynamic plate problem Part I: An optimal iterative solver for biharmonic systems, Computer Methods in Applied Mechanics and Engineering, 155 (1998), 129-151.
- Farhat, C. and Chen, P.-S. and Mandel, J. and Roux, F.-X. The two-level FETI method for static and dynamic plate problem Part II: Extension to shell problems, parallel implementation and performance results, Computer Methods in Applied Mechanics and Engineering, 155 (1998), 153-179.
- Farhat, C. and Lesoinne, M. and Pierson, K. A scalable dual-primal domain decomposition method, Numerical Linear Algebra with Applications, 7 (2001), 687-714.
- Farhat, C. and Lesoinne, M. and Letallec, P. and Pierson, K. and Rixen, D. FETI-DP: a dual-primal unified FETI method - part I: A faster alternative to the two-level FETI method, International Journal for Numerical Methods in Engineer 50 (2001), 1523-1544.
- Geradin, M. and Cardona, A. Flexible Multibody Dynamics: A Finite Element Approach, Wiley, Newyork, 2001.
- Chiou, J. C. and Park, K. C. and Farhat, C. A natural partitioning scheme for parallel simulation of multibody systems, Computer Methods in Applied Mechanics and Engineering 36 (1993), 945-967.
- Quaranta, G. and Masarati, P. and Mantegazza, P. Multibody analysis of controlled aeroelastic systems on parallel computers, Multibody System Dynamics 8 (2002), 71-102.
- Park, K. C. and Felippa, C. A. and Gumaste, U. A. A localized version of the method of Lagrange multipliers and its applications, Computational Mechanics 24 (2000), 476-490.
- Bauchau, O. A. Parallel computation approaches for flexible multibody dynamics simulations, Journal of The Franklin Institute 347 (2010), 53-68.
- Kwak, J . Y. and CHo, H. and Chun, T. Y. and Shin, S.-J. and Bauchau, O. A. Domain Decomposition Approach Applied for Ttwo- and Three-dimensional Problems via Direct Solution Methodology, International Journal of Aeronautical and Space Sciences 16 (2015), 177-189.
- Kwak, J. Y. and Chun, T. Y. and Shin, S.-J. and Bauchau, O. A. Domain decomposition approach to flexible multibody dynamics simulation, Computational Mechanics 53 (2014), 147-158.
- Joo, H. S. and Cho, H. and Kim, S. I. and Shin, S.-J. and Kwak, J. Y. Parallel computation for threedimensional shell analysis of curved configuration based on domain decomposition method, Journal of Computational Science 24 (2018), 24-33.
- Wilson, E. L. and Ibrahimbegovic, A. Use of incompatible displacement modes for the calculation of element stiffness or stresses, Finite Elements in Analysis and Design 7 (1990), 229-241.
- Karypis, G. METIS, A Software Package for Partitioning Unstructured Graphs, Partitioning Meshes, and Computing Fill-Reducing Orderings of Sparse Matrices, Version 5.1.0, (2013), 1-35.
- Hendrickson, B. Graph partitioning and parallel solvers: Has the emperor no clothes?, Solving Irregularly Structured Problems in Parallel, Springer Berlin Heidelberg, Berline, Heidelberg, 1998.
- Hinton, M. J. and Kaddour, A. S. and Soden, P. D. Failure Criteria in Fibre reinforced polymer composites: The World-Wide Failure Exercise, Elsevier Science Ltd, Kidlington, Oxford, UK, 2001.