- Volume 53 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Effects of Pre-Aging Treatment on the Corrosion Resistance of Low Temperature Plasma Nitrocarburized AISI 630 Martensitic Precipitation Hardening Stainless Steel
저온 플라즈마 침질탄화처리된 마르텐사이트계 석출경화형 스테인리스강의 내식성에 미치는 시효 전처리의 영향
- Lee, Insup (Department of Advanced Materials Engineering, Dongeui university) ;
- Lee, Chun-Ho (Department of Advanced Materials Engineering, Dongeui university)
- Received : 2020.02.05
- Accepted : 2020.03.10
- Published : 2020.04.30
Various aging treatments were conducted on AISI 630 martensitic precipitation hardening stainless steel in order to optimize aging condition. Aging treatment was carried out in the vacuum chamber of Ar gas with changing aging temperature from 380℃ to 430℃ and aging time from 2h to 8h at 400℃. After obtaining the optimized aging condition, several nitrocarburizing treatments were done without and with the aging treatment. Nitrocarburizing was performed on the samples with a gas mixture of H2, N2 and CH4 for 15 h at vacuum pressure of 4.0 Torr and discharge voltage of 400V. The corrosion resistance was improved noticeably by combined process of aging and nitrocarburizing treatment, which is attributed to higher chromium and nitrogen content in the passive layer, as confirmed by XPS analysis. The optimized condition is finalized as, 4h aging at 400℃ and then subsequent nitrocarburizing at 400℃ with 25% nitrogen and 4% methane gas for 15h at vacuum pressure of 4.0 Torr and discharge voltage of 400V, resulting in the surface hardness of around 1300 HV0.05 and α'N layer thickness of around 11 ㎛ respectively.
- H.R. Habibi Bajguirani, C. Servant, G. Cizeron, TEM investigation of precipitation phenomena occurring in PH 15-5 alloy, Acta Metall. Mater. 41 (1993) 1613-1623. https://doi.org/10.1016/0956-7151(93)90270-3
- H. Dong, M. Esfandiari, X.Y. Li, On the microstructure and phase identification of plasma nitrided 17-4PH precipitation hardening stainless steel, Surf. Coatings Technol. 202 (2008) 2969- 2975. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.surfcoat.2007.10.036
- Hamidreza Riazi, Fakhreddin Ashrafizadeh, Sayed Rahman Hosseini, Reza Ghomashchi, Rong Liu, Characterization of simuitaneous aged and plasma nitride 17-4PH stainless steel, Mater. Charact. 133 (2017) 33-43. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.matchar.2017.09.019
- T. Bell, Y. Sun, A. Suhadi, Environmental and technical aspects of plasma nitrocarburizing, Vacuum. 59 (2000) 14-23. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0042-207X(00)00250-5
- N. Mingolo, A.P. Tschiptschin, C.E. Pinedo, On the formation of expanded austenite during plasma nitriding of an AISI 316L austenitic stainless steel, Surf. Coatings Technol. 201 (2006) 4215-4218. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.surfcoat.2006.08.060
- I. Lee, The Effects of Processing Parameters on Surface Hardening Layer Characteristics of Low Temperature Plasma Nitriding of 316L Austenitic Stainless Steel, J. Korean Inst. Surf. Eng. 52 (2019) 194-202.
- R.L. Liu, M.F. Yan, Improvement of wear and corrosion resistances of 17-4PH stainless steel by plasma nitrocarburizing, Mater. Des. 31 (2010) 2355-2359. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.matdes.2009.11.069
- M.F. Yan, R.L. Liu, Influence of process time on microstructure and properties of 17-4PH steel plasma nitrocarburized with rare earths addition at low temperature, Appl. Surf. Sci. 256 (2010) 6065-6071. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.apsusc.2010.03.121
- A. Barua, H. Kim, I. Lee, Effect of the Amount of CH4 gas on the Characteristics of Surface Layers of Low Temperature Plasma Nitrided Martensitic Precipitation-Hardening Stainless Steel, Surf. Coat. Technol. (2016).
- S. Kim, J.. Yoo, J. Priest, M.. Fewell, Characteristics of martensitic stainless steel nitrided in a low-pressure RF plasma, Surf. Coatings Technol. 163-164 (2003) 380-385. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0257-8972(02)00631-X
- J.R.G. da Silva, R.B. McLellan, Diffusion of carbon and nitrogen in B.C.C. iron, Mater. Sci. Eng. 26 (1976) 83-87. https://doi.org/10.1016/0025-5416(76)90229-9
- C. Li, T. Bell, Corrosion properties of active screen plasma nitrided 316 austenitic stainless steel, Corros. Sci. 46 (2004) 1527-1547. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.corsci.2003.09.015
- H. Baba, T. Kodama, Y. Katada, Role of nitrogen on the corrosion behavior of austenitic stainless steels, Corros. Sci. 44 (2002) 2393-2407. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0010-938X(02)00040-9