- Volume 36 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
Spatial Distribution of Benthic Macroinvertebrates at Three River Weirs in The Namhan River
남한강 본류 3개 보의 저서성 대형무척추동물의 공간적 분포
- Kown, Yongju (Department of Bioconvergence, Kyonggi University) ;
- Kim, Jin-Young (National Institute of Ecology) ;
- Kim, Piljae (Cheungdam ENG) ;
- Kim, Jungwoo (SOKN Institute of Ecology and Conservation) ;
- Kim, Jeong-KI (Department of Bioconvergence, Kyonggi University) ;
- Kong, Dongsoo (Department of Bioconvergence, Kyonggi University)
- 권용주 (경기대학교 바이오융합부) ;
- 김진영 (국립생태원) ;
- 김필재 ((주)청담엔지니어링) ;
- 김정우 (SOKN 생태연구소) ;
- 민정기 (경기대학교 바이오융합부) ;
- 공동수 (경기대학교 바이오융합부)
- Received : 2019.09.09
- Accepted : 2020.01.28
- Published : 2020.01.30
Three large scale weirs were constructed 2010 - 2011 in the Namhan river, Korea. The purpose of this study was to investigate the spatial distribution of benthic macroinvertebrates and the influence of environmental factors at the weirs 2014 - 2015. The number of species was higher in the riparian zone than in the transition or the limnetic zone. This seems to be because of the diversification of microhabitats and food sources according to the development of littoral zones. From the riparian zone to the limnetic zone, the individual abundance proportion of gathering collectors among functional feeding groups decreased, and that of filtering collectors increased. In the limnetic zone, sprawlers and climbers among habitat orientation groups decreased, and burrowers increased. This means that coarse particulate organic matter originated from land or riparian zone was transformed to fine particulate organic matter in the limnetic zone. Asian clam (Corbicula fluminea) and chironomids were dominant species based on individual abundance. Asian clam, a major taxon considering biomass, was abundant toward the limnetic zone. This is becasue of the shallow depth, suitable water current, slightly coarse substrate, and good water quality. There was no significant relationship between the water quality and the characteristics of the benthic macroinvertebrate community because the water quality was spatially not heterogenous. The more influential factors for benthic community were physical factors, especially water depth. Water depth showed a markedly significant correlation with Shannon-Weaver's species diversity (r=-0.90), Margalef's species richness (r=-0.82), and McNaughton's dominance (r=0.86). Water depth showed a positive correlation (r=0.68) with the Kong and Kim BMSI (Bentic Macroinverebrates Streambed Index), and this may be related to the coarse substrate of the limnetic zone.
Supported by : 한강수계관리위원회
- Allan, D. J. (1995). Stream ecology: structure and function of running waters, Champman & Hall, London, 1-388.
- Andrews, J. D. and Hasler, A. D. (1943). Fluctuation in the animal populayions of the littoral zone in Lake Mendota, Transactions Wisconsin Academy of Science Arts and Letters, 35, 175-185.
- Baxter, R. M. (1977). Environmental effects of dams and impoundments, Annual Review of Ecology and Systematics, 8(1), 255-283. https://doi.org/10.1146/annurev.es.08.110177.001351
- Buss, D. F., Baptista, D. F., Nessimian, J. L., and Egler, M. (2004). Substrate specificity, environmental degradation and disturbance structuring macroinvertebrate assemblages in neotropical streams, Hydrobiologia, 518(1-3), 179-188. https://doi.org/10.1023/B:HYDR.0000025067.66126.1c
- Cummins, K. W. (1962). An evaluation of some techniques for the collection and analysis of benthic samples with special emphasis on lotic waters, American Midland Naturalist, 67(2), 477-504. https://doi.org/10.2307/2422722
- Cummins, K. W. and Klug, M. J. (1979). Feeding ecology of stream invertebrates, Annual Review of Ecology and Systematics, 10, 147-172. https://doi.org/10.1146/annurev.es.10.110179.001051
- Dripps, W., Ashman, K., Saunders, M., and Drake, S. (2012). The impact of golf courses on stream water temperature, Open Environmental & Biological Monitoring Journal, 5, 14-21. https://doi.org/10.2174/1875040001205010014
- Duan, X., Wang, Z., Xu, M., and Zhang, K. (2009). Effect of streambed sediment on benthic ecology, International Journal of Sediment Research, 24(3), 325-338. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1001-6279(10)60007-8
- Egglcton, F. E. (1931). A limnological study of the profundal bottom fauna of certain fresh-water lakes, Ecological Monographs, 1, 231-331. https://doi.org/10.2307/1943114
- Gorman, O. T. (1988). The dynamics of habitat use in a guild of Ozark minnows, Ecological Monographs, 58(1), 1-18. https://doi.org/10.2307/1942631
- Harper, D., Mekotova, J., Hulme, S., White, J., and Hall, J. (1997). Habitat heterogeneity and aquatic invertebrate diversity in habitat heterogeneity and aquatic invertebrate diversity in floodplain forests, Global Ecology and Biogeography Letters, 6, 275-285. https://doi.org/10.2307/2997741
- Hutchinson, G. E. (1967). A treatise on limnology, II introduction to lake biology and the limnoplankton, Wiley, Chichester, 1-1115.
- Jaccard, P. (1908). Nouvelles recherches sur la distribution florale, Bulletin de la Socieeté vaudoise des sciences naturellest, 44, 223.
- Kawai, T. (1985). An illustrated book of aquatic insects of Japan, Tokyo, Tokai University Press, 1-1342.
- Kil, H. K., Kim, D. G., Jung, S. W., Jin, Y. H., Hwang, J. M., Bae, K. S., and Bae, Y. J. (2010). Impacts of impoundments by low-head and large dams on benthic macroinvertebrate communities in Korean streams and rivers, Korean Journal of Limnology 43(2), 190-198. [Korean Literature]
- Kim, B. S., Sim, K. S., Kim, S. H., Kwon, O. C., Seo, E. W., and Lee, J. E. (2013). The influence of artificial structures on benthic macroinvertebrate communities in streams, Journal of Environmental Science International, 22(3), 309-318. [Korean Literature] https://doi.org/10.5322/JESI.2013.22.3.309
- Kim, J. Y., Lee, S. H., Lee, K. L., Noh, S. Y., Sin, Y. N., Lee, S. W., Lee, J. K., Won, D. H., Lim, S. H., Kown, Y., and Kong, D. (2018). Spatio-semporal distribution patterns of lotic benthic macroinvertebrate communities in Namhan-river weir section, Korean Journal of Ecology and Environment, 51(4), 331-344. [Korean Literature] https://doi.org/10.11614/KSL.2018.51.4.331
- Kim, Y. J. and Kong, D. (2018). Estimation on physical habitat suitability of benthic macroinvertebrates in the Hwayang stream, Journal of Korean Society on Water Environment, 34(1), 10-25. [Korean Literature] https://doi.org/10.15681/KSWE.2017.34.1.10
- Kong, D. (1997). Limmological and ecological characteristics of a river-reservoir (Paldang), Korea, Korean Journal of Limnology, 30, 524-535.
- Kong, D. (2019). Statistical analysis on water quality characteristics of large lakes in Korea, Journal of Korean Society on Water Environment, 35(2), 165-180. [Korean Literature] https://doi.org/10.15681/KSWE.2019.35.2.165
- Kong, D. and Kim, A. R. (2017). Estimation of the physical habitat suitability of benthic macroinvertebrates in the Gapyeong stream, Journal of Korean Society on Water Environment, 33(3), 311-325. [Korean Literature] https://doi.org/10.15681/KSWE.2017.33.3.311
- Kong, D. and Kim, B. (2019). Suggestion for trophic state classification of Korean lakes, Journal of Korean Society on Water Environment, 35(3), 248-256. [Korean Literature] https://doi.org/10.15681/KSWE.2019.35.3.248
- Kong, D. and Kim, J. Y. (2016). Development of benthic macroinvertebrates streambed index (BMSI) for bioassessment of stream physical habitat, Journal of Korean Society on Water Environment, 32(1), 1-14. [Korean Literature] https://doi.org/10.15681/KSWE.2016.32.1.1
- Kong, D., Min, J. K., and Noh, S. Y. (2018). Development of simple benthic macroinvertebrates index (SBMI) for biological assessment on stream environment, Journal of Korean Society on Water Environment, 34(5), 514-536. [Korean Literature] https://doi.org/10.15681/KSWE.2018.34.5.514
- Kong, D., Son, S. H., Hwang, S. J., Won, D. H., Kim, M. C., Park, J. H., Jeon, T. S., Lee, J. E., Kim, J. H., Kim, J. S., Park J., Kwak, I. S., Jun, Y. C., Park, Y. S., Ham, S. A., Lee, J. K., Lee, S. W., Park, C. H., Moon, J. S., Kim, J. Y., Park, H. K., Park, S. J., Kwon, Y., Kim, P., and Kim, A. R. (2018). Development of benthic macroinvertebrates index (BMI) for biological assessment on stream environment, Journal of Korean Society on Water Environment, 34(2), 183-201. [Korean Literature] https://doi.org/10.15681/KSWE.2018.34.2.183
- Lee, M. J., Seo, E. W., Yu, J. J., and Lee, J. E. (2014). Community fluctuation of the benthic macroinvertebrates before and after the construction of Nakdan weir, Korean Journal of Ecology and Environment, 47(4), 328-336. [Korean Literature] https://doi.org/10.11614/KSL.2014.47.4.328
- Lodge, D. M. (2001). Littoral zone structures as daphnia refugia against fish predators, Limnology and Oceanography, 46(2), 230-237. https://doi.org/10.4319/lo.2001.46.2.0230
- Margalef, R. (1958). Temporal succession and spatial heterogeneity in natural phytoplankton, Perspectives in marine biology, 323-349.
- McNaughton, S. J. (1967). Relationship among functional properties of California grassland, Nature, 216, 168-169.
- McCafferty, W. P. (1981). Aquatic entomology, Jones and Bartlett, Boston, 1-448.
- McCune, B. and Mefford, M. J. (2011). Multivariate analysis of ecological data, Version 6, MjM Software. PC-ORD, Gleneden Beach, Oregon, USA.
- Merritt, R. W. and Cummins, K. W. (1984). An introduction to the aquatic insects of North America, 2nd. ed., Kendall Hunt Publish, Dubuque, Iowa, USA, 1-722.
- Merritt, R. W. and Cummins, K. W. (1996).An introduction to the aquatic insects of North America,. 3rd. ed., Kendall Hunt Publish, Dubuque, Iowa, USA, 1-862.
- Merrit, R. W., Cummins, K. W. and Berg, M. B. (2008). An introduction to the aquatic insects of North America, 4th. Ed., Kendall Hunt Publish, Dubuque, Iowa, USA, 1-1158.
- Merritt, R. W., Wallace, J. R., Higgins, M. J., Alexander, M. K., Berg, M. B., Morgan, W. T., Cummins, K. W., and Bandeneeden, B. (1996). Procedures for the functional analysis of invertebrate communities of the Kissimmee river-floodplain ecosystem, Florida Scientist, 59(4), 216-274.
- Ministry of Environment (ME). (2014-2015). Water Environment Information System (WEIS), http://water.nier.go.kr/main/mainContent.do (accessed Jun. 2017).
- Miserendino, M. L. and Pizzolon, L. A. (2003). Distribution of macroinvertebrate assemblages in the Azul-Quemquemtreu river basin, Patagonia, Argentina, New Zealand Journal of Marine and Freshwater Research, 37, 525-539. https://doi.org/10.1080/00288330.2003.9517187
- Peckarsky, B. L., Fraissinet, P. R., Penton, M. A., and Conklin, D. J. (1990). Freshwater macroinvertebrates of Northeastern North America, Connell Univ, Press, Ithaca and London, 1-442.
- Pennak, R. W. and Van Gerpen, E. D. (l947). Bottom fauna productivity and physical nature of the substrate in Northern Colorado trout streams, Ecology, 28(1), 42-48. https://doi.org/10.2307/1932916
- Poff, N. L. and Hart, D. D. (2002). How dams vary and why it matters for the emerging science of dam removal, Bioscience, 52(8), 659-668. https://doi.org/10.1641/0006-3568(2002)052[0659:HDVAWI]2.0.CO;2
- Principe, R. E. (2010). Ecological effects of small dams on benthic macroinvertebrate communities of mountain streams (Cordoba, Argentina), Annales de Limnologie-International Journal of Limnology, 46, 77-91. https://doi.org/10.1051/limn/2010010
- Quade, H. W. (1968). Cladoceran faunas associated with aquatic macrophytes in some lakes in Northwestern Minnesota, Ecology, 50(2), l70-179.
- Rankin, E. T. (1991). The use of the qualitative habitat evaluation index for use attainability studies in streams and rivers in Ohio, In George Gibson, editor. Biological Criteria: Research and Regulation, Office of Water, U. S. Environmental Protection Agency, Washington, D. C. EPA 440/5-91-005.
- Resh, V. H. and Jackson, J. K. (1993). Rapid assessment approaches to biomonitoring using benthic macroinvertebrates, In: Freshwater biomonitoring and benthic macroinvertebrates (Rosenberg, D. M. and Resh, V. H. eds.), Chapman and Hall, New York(USA), 195-223.
- Shannon, C. E. and Weaver, W. (1949). The mathematical theory of communication, University of Illinois Press, Urbana, 1-117.
- Sladecek, V. (1969). The Measures of Saprobity, Verhandlungen des Internationalen Verein Limnologie, 17, 546-559.
- Sladecek, V. (1973). System of water quality from biological point of view, Ergebnisse der Limnologie, 7, 1-218.
- Staub, R., Appling, J. W., Hofstetter, A. M., and Haas, I. J. (1970). The effects of industrial wastes of memphis and shelby county on primary planktonic producers, Bioscience, 20(16), 905-912. https://doi.org/10.2307/1295583
- Stephanie, S. and Bruno. B. (2007). Distribution and Substrate Preference of the Invasive Clam Corbicula fluminea in the river Rhine in the region of Basel (Switzerland, Germany, France), Aquatic Sciences, 69(1), 153-161. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00027-006-0865-y
- Stoffels, R. J., Clarke, K. R., and Closs, G. P. (2005). Spatial scale and benthic community organisation in the littoral zones of large oligotrophic lakes: potential for cross-scale interactions, Freshwater Biology, 50, 1131-1145. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2427.2005.01384.x
- Urban, M. C., David, K., Burchsted, S. D., Price, W., and Lowry, S. (2006). Stream communities across a rural-urban landscape gradient, Diversity and Distributions, 12(4), 337-350. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1366-9516.2005.00226.x
- Vannote, R. L. and Sweeney, B. W. (1980). Geographic analysis of thermal equilibria: a conceptual model for evaluating the effect of natural and modified thermal regimes on aquatic insect communities, The American Naturalist, 115(5), 667-695. https://doi.org/10.1086/283591
- Ward, J. V. and Stanford, J. A. (1979). The ecology of regulated streams, Plenum Press, New York, 1-398.
- Yoon, I. B. (1988). Illustrated encyclopedia of fauna & flora of korea. vol. 30 aquatic insects, Seoul, Ministry of Education Republic of Korea, 1-840.