- Volume 19 Issue 1
Cure Characteristics of Naphthalene Type Epoxy Resins for SEMC (Sheet Epoxy Molding Compound) for WLP (Wafer Level Package) Application
WLP(Wafer Level Package)적용을 위한 SEMC(Sheet Epoxy Molding Compounds)용 Naphthalene Type Epoxy 수지의 경화특성연구
- Kim, Whan Gun (Department of Nano-Convergence Engineering, Seokyeong University)
- 김환건 (서경대학교 나노융합공학과)
- Received : 2020.02.26
- Accepted : 2020.03.18
- Published : 2020.03.31
The cure characteristics of three kinds of naphthalene type epoxy resins(NET-OH, NET-MA, NET-Epoxy) with a 2-methyl imidazole(2MI) catalyst were investigated for preparing sheet epoxy molding compound(SEMC) for wafer level package(WLP) applications, comparing with diglycidyl ether of bisphenol-A(DGEBA) and 1,6-naphthalenediol diglycidyl ether(NE-16) epoxy resin. The cure kinetics of these systems were analyzed by differential scanning calorimetry with an isothermal approach, and the kinetic parameters of all systems were reported in generalized kinetic equations with diffusion effects. The NET-OH epoxy resin represented an n-th order cure mechanism as like NE-16 and DGEBA epoxy resins, however, the NET-MA and NET-Epoxy resins showed an autocatalytic cure mechanism. The NET-OH and NET-Epoxy resins showed higher cure conversion rates than DGEBA and NE-16 epoxy resins, however, the lowest cure conversion rates can be seen in the NET-MA epoxy resin. Although the NETEpoxy and NET-MA epoxy resins represented higher cure reaction conversions comparing with DGEBA and NE-16 resins, the NET-OH showed the lowest cure reaction conversions. It can be figured out by kinetic parameter analysis that the lowest cure conversion rates of the NET-MA epoxy resin are caused by lower collision frequency factor, and the lowest cure reaction conversions of the NET-OH are due to the earlier network structures formation according to lowest critical cure conversion.
Supported by : 서경대학교
- Zwenger, C., and et al., "Silicon Wafer Integrated Fan-Out Technology Packaging," Advancing Microelectronics, Vol. 45(1), pp. 6-10, 2018.
- Kim, W.G., "Cure Properties of Isocyanurate Type Epoxy Resin Systems for FO-WLP (Fan Out-Wafer Level Package) Next Generation Semiconductor Packaging Materials," J. of the Semiconductor & Display Technology, Vol. 18, pp. 19-26, 2019.
- Sasajima, H., and et al., "New Development Trend of Epoxy Molding Compound for Encapsulation Semiconductor Chips", in Materials for Advanced Packaging, Wong, C.P. Ed., Chap. 9, pp 373-419, 2017.
- Ueno, K., and et al., "Development of Liquid, Granule and Sheet Type Epoxy Molding Compounds for Fan-Out Wafer Level Package", Proceedings of 2017 IEEE 67th Electronic Components and Technology Conference, pp.285-291, 2017.
- Kim, W.G., and Chun, H., "Cure Properties of Naphthalene-Base Epoxy Resin Systems with Hardeners and Latent Catalysts for Semiconductor Packaging Materials", Molecular Crystals and Liquid Crystals, Vol.579, pp.39-49,
- Ogura, I. and Takahashi, Y., "Multi-Functional Epoxy Resins Performing High Thermal Resistance with Good Flow-ability based on Dimeric Naphthols", High Performance Polymers, Vol.22 (7), pp.834-847.
- Chun, H. and et al., "The Naphthalene Type Epoxy Dimers and a method for the preparation thereof", Korea Patent 10-1264607(Registered Patent).
- Chun, H. and et al., "The Naphthalene Type Epoxy Resins and the Epoxy Resin Compositions with them", Korea Patent 10-1189185(Registered Patent).
- Kim, W.G., and Lee, J.Y., "Contributions of the Network Structure to the Cure Kinetics of Epoxy Resin Systems According to the Change of Hardeners", Polymer, Vol.43, pp.5713-5722, 2002. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0032-3861(02)00444-5
- Ryu, J.H., Choi, K.S., and W.G. Kim, "Latent Catalyst Effects in Halogen-Free Epoxy Molding Compounds for Semiconductor Encapsulation", J. Applied Polymer Science, Vol.96, pp.2287-2299, 2005. https://doi.org/10.1002/app.21001
- Kim, W.G., "Cure Characteristics of Ethoxysilyl Bisphenol A Type Epoxy Resin Systems for Next Generation Semiconductor Packaging Materials," J. of the Semiconductor & Display Technology, Vol. 16, pp. 19-26, 2017.
- Kim, W.G., and Chun, H., "Cure Properties of Alkoxysilylated Epoxy Resin Systems with Hardeners for Semiconductor Packaging Materials", Molecular Crystals and Liquid Crystals, Vol.636, pp.107-116.