- Volume 24 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
Estimation of Path Attenuation Effect from Ground Motion in the Korean Peninsula using Stochastic Point-source Model
추계학적 점지진원 모델을 사용한 한반도 지반 운동의 경로 감쇠 효과 평가
- Jee, Hyun Woo (Department of Architecture Engineering, Hanyang University) ;
- Han, Sang Whan (Department of Architectural Engineering, Hanyang University)
- Received : 2019.08.14
- Accepted : 2019.12.03
- Published : 2020.01.01
The stochastic point-source model has been widely used in generating artificial ground motions, which can be used to develop a ground motion prediction equation and to evaluate the seismic risk of structures. This model mainly consists of three different functions representing source, path, and site effects. The path effect is used to emulate decay in ground motion in accordance with distance from the source. In the stochastic point-source model, the path attenuation effect is taken into account by using the geometrical attenuation effect and the inelastic attenuation effect. The aim of this study is to develop accurate equations of ground motion attenuation in the Korean peninsula. In this study, attenuation was estimated and validated by using a stochastic point source model and observed ground motion recordings for the Korean peninsula.
Supported by : 국토교통과학기술진흥원
- National Emergency Management Agency (NEMA). Active Fault Map and Seismic Harzard Map. National Emergency Management Agency. c2012.
- Korea Meteorological Administration (KMA). Historical Earthquake Records in Korea. Korea Meteorological Administration. c2012.
- Lee K, Yang WS. Historical Seismicity of Korea. Bulletin of the Seismological Society of America. 2006;96:846-855. https://doi.org/10.1785/0120050050
- Boore DM. Prediction of Ground Motion Using the Stochastic Method. Pure and Applied Geophysics. 2003;160:635-676. https://doi.org/10.1007/PL00012553
- Boore DM. Stochastic Simulation of High-Frequency Ground Motion Based on Seismological Models of the Radiated Spectra. Bulletin of the Seismological Society of America. 1983;73:1865-1893.
- Aki K. Scaling law of seismic spectrum. Journal of Geophysical Research. 1967;72:1217-1231. https://doi.org/10.1029/JZ072i004p01217
- Brune J. Tectonic Stress and the Spectra of Seismic Shear Waves. Journal of Geophysical Research. 1970;75:4997-5009. https://doi.org/10.1029/JB075i026p04997
- Brune J. Correction: Tectonic Stress and the Spectra of Seismic Shear Waves. Journal of Geophysical Research. 1971;76:5002. https://doi.org/10.1029/JB076i020p05002
- Noh MH, Lee KH. Estimation of Peak Ground Motions in the Southeastern Part of the Korean Peninsula (I): Estimation of Spectral Parameters. Journal of the Geological Society of Korea. 1994;30:297-306.
- Park DH, Lee JM, Kim SK. Attenuation and Source Parameters of Earthquakes in the Southeastern Part of the Korean Peninsula. Journal of the Earthquake Engineering Society of Korea. 2000;4: 99-105.
- Jo ND, Baag CE. Stochastic Prediction of Strong Ground Motions in Southern Korea. Journal of Earthquake Engineering Society of Korea. 2001;5:17-26.
- Jo ND, Baag CE. Estimation of Spectrum Decay Parameter x and Stochastic Prediction of Strong Ground Motions in Southeastern Korea. Journal of Earthquake Engineering Society of Korea. 2003; 7:59-70.
- Juun JG, Jo ND, Baag CE. Stochastic Prediction of Ground Motions in Southern Korea. Geosciences Journal. 2002;6:203-214. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF02912691
- Kim SK, Kim SK, Chi HC. Attenuation of Peak Spectral Amplitude of Acceleration in the Southern Part of the Korean Peninsula. Journal of the Geological Society of Korea. 2002;38:237-250.
- Kim SK. Seismic Wave Attenuation in the Southern Korean Peninsula: Comparison by the Applied Method and used Data. Journal of the Geological Society of Korea. 2007;43:207-217.
- Jeong GH, Lee HS. An Earthquake Ground Motion Model (GMM) for Korean Peninsula. The 2017 World Congress on Advances in Struc17 tural Engineering and Mechanics (ASEM17), Ilsan, Korea. c2017.
- Atkinson GM, Mereu RF. The Shape of Ground Motion Attenuation Curves in Southeastern Canada. Bulletin of the Seismological Society of America. 1992;82:2014-2031.
- Atkinson GM, Boore DM. New Ground Motion Relations for Eastern North America. Bulletin of the Seismological Society of America. 1995;85:17-30.
- Atkinson GM, Boore DM. Evaluation of Models for Earthquake Source Spectra in Eastern North America. Bulletin of the Seismological Society of America. 1998;88:917-934.
- Atkinson GM, Boore DM. Ground Motion Prediction Equations for Earthquakes in Eastern North America. Bulletin of the Seismological Society of America. 2006;96:2181-2205. https://doi.org/10.1785/0120050245
- Zandieh A, Pezeshk S. Investigation of Geometrical Spreading and Quality Factor Functions in the New Madrid Seismic Zone. Bulletin of the Seismological Society of America. 2010;100:2185-2195. https://doi.org/10.1785/0120090209
- Rietbrock A, Strasser F, Edwards B. A Stochastic Earthquake Ground-Motion Prediction Model for the United Kingdom. Bulletin of the Seismological Society of America. 2013;103:57-77. https://doi.org/10.1785/0120110231
- Boore DM, Alessandro CD, Abrahamson NA. A Generalization of the Double-Corner-Frequency Source Spectral Model and Its Use in the SCEC BBP Validation Exercise. Bulletin of the Seismological Society of America. 2014;104:2387-2398. https://doi.org/10.1785/0120140138
- Drouet S, Cotton F. Regional Stochastic GMPEs in Low‐Seismicity Areas: Scaling and Aleatory Variability Analysis-Application to the French Alps. Bulletin of the Seismological Society of America. 2015;105:1883-1902. https://doi.org/10.1785/0120140240
- Pezeshk S, Zandieh A, Campbell KW, Tavakoli B. Ground-Motion Prediction Equations for Central and Eastern North America Using the Hybrid Empirical Method and NGA-West2 Empirical Ground- Motion Models. Bulletin of the Seismological Society of America. 2018;108:2278-2304. https://doi.org/10.1785/0120170179
- Hanks T, McGurire R. The Character of High Frequency Strong Ground Motion. Bulletin of the Seismological Society of America. 1981;71:2071-2095.
- Atkinson GM, Cassidy J. Integrated Use of Seismograph and Strong Motion Data to Determine Soil Amplification in the Fraser Delta: Results from the Duvall and Georgia Strait Earthquakes. Bulletin of the Seismological Society of America. 2000;90:1028-1040. https://doi.org/10.1785/0119990098
- Nakamura Y. A Method for Dynamic Characteristics Estimation of Subsurface Using Microtremor on the Ground Surface. Quarterly Report of Railway Technical Research. 1989;30:25-33.
- Zhao JX, Irikura K, Zhang J, Yoshimitsu F, Somerville PG, Asano A, Ohno Y, Oouchi T, Takahashi T, Ogawa H. An Empirical Site- Classification Method for Strong-Motion Stations in Japan Using H/V Response Spectral Ratio. Bulletin of the Seismological Society of America. 2006;96:914-925. https://doi.org/10.1785/0120050124
- Anderson JG, Hough SE. A Model for the Shape of the Fourier Amplitude Spectrum of Acceleration at High Frequencies. Bulletin of the Seismological Society of America. 1984;74:1969-1993.
- Hashash YMA, Kottke AR, Stewart JP, Campbell KW, Kim B, Moss C, Nikolaou S, Rathje EM, Silva WJ. Reference Rock Site Condition for Central and Eastern North America. Bulletin of the Seismological Society of America. 2014;104:684-701. https://doi.org/10.1785/0120130132
- Papazafeiropoulos G, Plevris V.OpenSeismoMatlab: A New Opensource Software for Strong Ground Motion Data Processing. Heliyon. 2018;4:e00784. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.heliyon.2018.e00784
- Chung TW, Yoshimoto K. Multiple Lapse Time Window Analysis using Focal Mechanism. Geophysics and Geophysical Exploration. 2012;15(2):85-91. https://doi.org/10.7582/GGE.2012.15.2.085
- Chung TW, Rachman AN. Multiple Lapse Time Window Analysis of the Korean Peninsula Considering Focal Depth. Geophysics and Geophysical Exploration. 2013;16(4):293-299. https://doi.org/10.7582/GGE.2013.16.4.293
- Ogiso M, Aoki S, Hishiba M. Real‑time seismic intensity prediction using frequency‑dependent site amplification factors. Earth, Planets and Space. 2016;68:83. https://doi.org/10.1186/s40623-016-0467-4
- Chimoto K, Yamanaka H. S-Wave velocity structure exploration of sedimentary layers using seismic interferometry on strong motion records. Exploration Geophysics. 2019;50(6):625-633. https://doi.org/10.1080/08123985.2019.1654835
- Konno K, Ohmachi T. Ground-motion Characteristics Estimated from Spectral Ratio between Horizontal and Vertical Components of Microtremor. Bulletin of the Seismological Society of America. 1998;88:228-241.
- Atkinson GM. Empirical Attenuation of Ground Motion Spectral Amplitudes in Southeastern Canada and the Northeastern United States. Bulletin of the Seismological Society of America. 2004;94: 1079-1095. https://doi.org/10.1785/0120030175
- Saragoni G, Hart G. Simulation of Artificial Earthquakes. Earthquake Engineering and Structural Dynamics. 1974;2:249-267.