- Volume 21 Issue 5
DOI QR Code
Assessment of NATM tunnel lining thickness and its behind state utilizing GPR survey
GPR탐사를 통한 NATM터널(무근)라이닝의 두께 분포 및 배면상태 평가
- Choo, Jin-Ho (School of Civil, Environmental and Architectural Engineering, Korea University) ;
- Yoo, Chang-Kyoon (Technical Support in Diagnosis Division, Korea Infrastructure Safety and Technology Cooperation) ;
- Oh, Young-Chul (Technical Support in Diagnosis Division, Korea Infrastructure Safety and Technology Cooperation) ;
- Lee, In-Mo (School of Civil, Environmental and Architectural Engineering, Korea University)
- Received : 2019.07.25
- Accepted : 2019.08.21
- Published : 2019.09.30
In this study, lining thickness distribution and its behind state (particularly, its void state) were analyzed using the GPR survey data performed on three currently operating NATM tunnels. Results of GPR analysis showed that void areas were mostly detected between concrete lining and primary support, particularly, near the crown of the tunnels. The lining thickness in the left-hand side of the tunnel was different from that of the right-hand side by 8.6~253.5 mm when measured in transverse direction. It was also found that longitudinal cracks were prevailed in the area lining thickness was sharply changed. Longitudinal thickness distribution at the crown was also studied and tested by performing 3 goodness-of-fit tests in order to find the most suitable thickness distribution. Normal distribution (or similar distribution) fit most suitably to the measured data if the measured average thickness was larger than designed one; Gamma and/or Inverse Gauss distribution fit to the measured data reasonably well if the measured average thickness was less than the designed value of thickness. Since actual lining thickness can be a potential index when assessing the state and safety of the unreinforced NATM tunnel lining, measuring of the lining thickness with GPR survey might be needed rather than assuming the thickness is always constant and same with the designed value.
- Ansell, A. (2010), "Investigation of shrinkage cracking in shotcrete on tunnel drains", Tunnelling and Underground Space Technology, Vol. 25, No. 5, pp. 607-613. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.tust.2010.04.006
- Basaligheh, F., Keyhani, A. (2015), "Application of tests of goodness of fit in determining the probability density function for spacing of steel sets in tunnel support system", International Journal of Mining and Geo-engineering, Vol. 49, No. 2, pp. 187-203.
- Bian, K., Liu, J., Xiao, M., Liu, Z. (2016), "Cause investigation and verification of lining crack of bifurcation tunnel at Huizhou pumped storage power station", Tunnelling and Underground Space Technology, Vol. 54, pp. 123-134. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.tust.2015.10.030
- Bjureland, W., Spross, J., Johansson, F., Prastings, A., Larsson, S. (2017), "Reliability aspects of rock tunnel design with the observational method", International Journal of Rock Mechanics and Mining Sciences, Vol. 98, pp. 102-110. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijrmms.2017.07.004
- Choo, J.H., Park, S.W., Kim, H.T., Jee, K.H., Yoon, T.G. (2011), "Analysis and cause of occurrence of lining cracks on NATM tunnel based on the precise inspection for safety and diagnosis - Part I", Journal of Korean Tunnelling and Underground Space Association, Vol. 13, No. 3, pp. 199-214. https://doi.org/10.9711/KTAJ.2011.13.3.199
- Choo, J.H., Yoo, C.K., Oh, Y.C., Lee, I.M. (2019), "A re-appraisal of scoring items in state assessment of NATM tunnel considering influencing factors causing longitudinal cracks", Journal of Korean Tunnelling and Underground Space Association, Vol. 21, No. 4, pp. 479-499. https://doi.org/10.9711/KTAJ.2019.21.4.479
- Carranza-Torres, C., Diederichs, M. (2009), "Mechanical analysis of circular liners with particular reference to composite supports. For example, liners consisting of shotcrete and steel sets", Tunnelling and Underground Space Technology, Vol. 24, No. 5, pp. 506-532. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.tust.2009.02.001
- Denys, B. (2012), Non-Destructive assessment of concrete structures: reliability and limits of single and combined techniques-state-of-the-art-report of the RILEM technical committee 207-INR, Springer, France, pp. 63-262.
- Duracrete (2000), Statistical quantification of the variables in the limit state function: european union-brite euram III, CUR, pp. 1-130.
- Haldar, A., Mahadevan, S. (2000), Probability, reliability and statistical methods in engineering design, John Wiley & Sons, Inc., New York, pp. 1-304.
- Haack, A., Schreyer, J., Jackel, G. (1995), "State-of-the-art of non-destructive testing methods for determining the state of a tunnel lining", Tunnelling and Underground Space Technology incorporating Trenchless Technology Research, Vol. 10, No. 4, pp. 413-431. https://doi.org/10.1016/0886-7798(95)00030-3
- Joh, S.H., Rahman, N.A., Magno, K. (2018), "Pavement integrity assessed by leaky surface waves with wave group interpretation", Journal of Transportation Engineering, Part B: Pavements, Vol. 144, No. 3, pp. 04018036-1-14. https://doi.org/10.1061/JPEODX.0000067
- KSCE (2015), Study of the effect of backfilling in tunnel lining, pp. 1-158.
- Lateef, A.M. (2011), Analysis of the common defects on in-service urban tunnels and repairing effects, Doctoral Thesis, Chongqing University, pp. 1-156.
- Lee, Y.S., Park, S.W, Whang, I.B., Shin, Y.S., Kim, S.G. (2009), "Analysis of cause and deterioration about using 3-arch tunnel", Journal of Korean Tunnelling and Underground Space Association, Vol. 11, No. 1, pp. 97-105.
- Lee, K.H., Heo, I.W., Kim, D.H., Lee, I.M. (2011), "The construction management of tunnel using 3D laser scanner", Journal of Korean Tunnelling and Underground Space Association, Vol. 13, No. 3, pp. 159-176. https://doi.org/10.9711/KTAJ.2011.13.3.159
- MOLIT (2016), Korean design standard: KCS 27 40 05, pp. 1-8.
- Oreste, P.P. (2007), "A numerical approach to the hyperstatic reaction method for the dimensioning of tunnel supports", Tunnelling and Underground Space Technology, Vol. 22, No. 2, pp. 185-205. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.tust.2006.05.002
- Park, J.J., Shin, J.C., Hwang, J.H., Lee, K.H., Seo, H.J., Lee, I.M. (2012a), "Assessment of over / underbreak of tunnel utilizing BIM and 3D laser scanner", Journal of Korean Tunnelling and Underground Space Association, Vol. 14, No. 4, pp. 437-451. https://doi.org/10.9711/KTAJ.2012.14.4.437
- Park, S.W., Park, S.S., Hwang, I.B., Cha, C.J. (2012b), "A case study on cause analysis for longitudinal crack of duct slab in tunnel", Journal of the Korea Institute for Structural Maintenance and Inspection, Vol. 16, No. 5, pp. 19-28. https://doi.org/10.11112/jksmi.2012.16.5.019
- Pottler, R. (1993), "Die unbewehrte innenschale im Felstunnelbau - Standsicherheit und Verformung im Rissbereich", Beton-und Stahlbetonbau, Vol. 88, No. 6, pp. 155-160. https://doi.org/10.1002/best.199300230
- Yang, J.S., Fu, J.Y. (2015), "Investigation and rehabilitation of lining imperfections and cracks in an operating railway tunnel", Proceedings of the Engineering Conference International Digital Achives - Shotcrete for Underground Support XII, October, Singapore, pp. 1-10.
- Williams, N.D. (2014), Nondestructive testing of rail tunnel linings, Master of Science Thesis, Texas A&M University, pp. 1-100.