- Volume 7 Issue 3
Background: Communication is important for the elderly to maintain existing social relationships while creating new relationships based on good communication skills to lessen psychological and emotional distress and lead a healthy life in advanced age. Aims: This study identifies the difference between the social network-based quality of communication life and the overall quality of life in the elderly and how much the quality of communication life affects the overall quality of life. Methods: This research includes a survey of the elderly aged 65 and over living in small cities of South Korea. Data sets of 201 elderly were analyzed. Results: This study found a significant correlation between the quality of communication life and the overall quality of life. Religion also influences the elderly's quality of communication life. The elderly's quality of communication life has 40% explanatory power of the overall quality of life. Conclusion: Consequently, senior citizens' quality of life will be improved through the enhanced quality of communication in addition to financial and health conditions by participating in various community activities similar to those provided by religion to increase opportunities for communication.
Supported by : Wonkwang University
- S.J. Choi, "Development of Korean Elderly Life Quality Scale," Korean Journal of Adult Nursing, Vol. 14, pp. 101-11, 2002.
- S.K. Kang, "The Study on the Quality of Life for the Elderly in the aging society", The Korean Journal of East Wet Mind Science, Vol. 3, pp. 113-37, 2000.
- J.D .Kwon, and J.Y. Cho, "A study of factors influencing the life satisfaction of the aged", Journal of the Korea Gerontological Society, Vol. 20, pp. 61-76, 2000.
- Y.R. Lee, S.M. Kim, H.O. Park, H.M. Park, G.H. Jo, and Y.J. Ro, "The Trend and Issues of the Gerontological Nursing Study in Korea", Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing, Vol. 28, pp. 676-94, 1998. https://doi.org/10.4040/jkan.1922.214.171.1246
- J.D. Kwon, "A study on the Casual Factors of elderly abuse", Journal of the Korea Gerontological Society, Vol. 24, pp. 1-19, 2004.
- H.S. Lee, "Social Support exchanges of the rural elderly living with their spouse", Journal of the Korea Gerontological Society, Vol. 19, pp.109-21, 1999.
- T.C. Antonucci, Social support and social relationships. In handbook of aging and social sciences. San Diego; Academic Press, 1990.
- S.J. Chang, "Structural and Functional Aspects of Social Network in Old Age, and the Subjective Quality of Life: Focusing on the Comparison according to Age and Gender", Social Science Research Review Kyungsung University, Vol. 26, pp. 75-100, 2010.
- S. Lee, "A Study on Relationship Between Quality of Communication Life and Self -Esteem of Elderly", Master's thesis, Wonkwang University, Jeonbuk, Korea, 2018.
- E.R. Kim, "Communication network of the aging Koreans in America", Journal of Korean Studies, Vol. 12, pp. 23-33, 2000.
- Y.S. Kim, "A study on the Improvement of Home Care Services for the Aged in Korea", The Journal of Welfare Administration, Vol. 21, pp. 338-362, 2005.