- Volume 52 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Protective effect of dietary oils containing omega-3 fatty acids against glucocorticoid-induced osteoporosis
- Elbahnasawy, Amr Samir (Department of Bioecology, Hygiene and public health, Institute of Fundamental Medicine and Biology, Kazan Federal University) ;
- Valeeva, Emiliya Ramzievna (Department of Bioecology, Hygiene and public health, Institute of Fundamental Medicine and Biology, Kazan Federal University) ;
- El-Sayed, Eman Mustafa (Department of Nutrition and Food Sciences, National Research Centre) ;
- Stepanova, Natalya Vladimirovna (Department of Bioecology, Hygiene and public health, Institute of Fundamental Medicine and Biology, Kazan Federal University)
- Received : 2019.06.03
- Accepted : 2019.07.26
- Published : 2019.08.31
Purpose: Glucocorticoids (GCs) are implicated in secondary osteoporosis, and the resulting fractures cause significant morbidity. Polyunsaturated fatty acids (PUFAs) play a vital role in bone metabolism. However, few trials have studied the impact of omega-3 PUFA-containing oils against GC-induced osteoporosis. Therefore, the present study was undertaken to determine whether supplementation with omega-3 PUFA-containing dietary oils such as fish oil, flaxseed oil or soybean oil can impede the development of GC-induced osteoporosis. Methods: The fatty acids (FAs) content of oils was determined using gas chromatography. Male rats were subdivided into 5 groups (8 rats each): normal control (balanced diet), prednisolone control (10 mg/kg prednisolone daily), soybean oil (prednisolone 10 mg/kg + soybean oil 7% w/w), flaxseed oil (prednisolone 10 mg/kg + flaxseed oil 7% w/w), and fish oil (from cod liver; prednisolone 10 mg/kg + fish oil 7% w/w). Results: The study data exhibited a significant depletion in bone mineral density (BMD) and femur mass in the prednisolone control compared to the normal control, accompanied with a marked decrease in the levels of plasma calcium and 1,25-
Supported by : Kazan Federal University (Russian Federation), National Research Centre (Egypt)
- Jeremiah MP, Unwin BK, Greenawald MH, Casiano VE. Diagnosis and management of osteoporosis. Am Fam Physician 2015; 92(4): 261-268.
- Akarirmak U. Osteoporosis: a major problem - worldwide. Arch Sports Med 2018; 2(1): 106-108.
- Wade SW, Strader C, Fitzpatrick LA, Anthony MS, O'Malley CD. Estimating prevalence of osteoporosis: examples from industrialized countries. Arch Osteoporos 2014; 9(1): 182. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11657-014-0182-3
- Silverman S, Curtis J, Saag K, Flahive J, Adachi J, Anderson F, et al. International management of bone health in glucocorticoidexposed individuals in the observational GLOW study. Osteoporos Int 2015; 26(1): 419-420. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00198-014-2883-2
- Wang T, Yu X, He C. Pro-inflammatory cytokines: cellular and molecular drug targets for glucocorticoid-induced-osteoporosis via osteocyte. Curr Drug Targets 2019; 20(1): 1-15. https://doi.org/10.2174/1389450119666180405094046
- Compston J. Glucocorticoid-induced osteoporosis: an update. Endocrine 2018; 61(1): 7-16. https://doi.org/10.1007/s12020-018-1588-2
- Lavado-Garcia J, Roncero-Martin R, Moran JM, Pedrera-Canal M, Aliaga I, Leal-Hernandez O, et al. Long-chain omega-3 polyunsaturated fatty acid dietary intake is positively associated with bone mineral density in normal and osteopenic Spanish women. PLoS One 2018; 13(1): e0190539. https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0190539
- Kelly OJ, Gilman JC, Kim Y, Ilich JZ. Long-chain polyunsaturated fatty acids may mutually benefit both obesity and osteoporosis. Nutr Res 2013; 33(7): 521-533. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.nutres.2013.04.012
- Iolascon G, Gimigliano R, Bianco M, De Sire A, Moretti A, Giusti A, et al. Are dietary supplements and nutraceuticals effective for musculoskeletal health and cognitive function? A scoping review. J Nutr Health Aging 2017; 21(5): 527-538. https://doi.org/10.1007/s12603-016-0823-x
- Hutchins-Wiese HL, Picho K, Watkins BA, Li Y, Tannenbaum S, Claffey K, et al. High-dose eicosapentaenoic acid and docosahexaenoic acid supplementation reduces bone resorption in postmenopausal breast cancer survivors on aromatase inhibitors: a pilot study. Nutr Cancer 2014; 66(1): 68-76. https://doi.org/10.1080/01635581.2014.847964
- El-Saeed GS, Elghoroury EA, Morsy S, Aly HM, Wafaey H. Phenotype of vitamin D receptor gene polymorphisms, impact of feeding flaxseed oil, and osteoporosis in ovariectomized diabetic rats. Bull Natl Res Cent 2018; 42(1): 11. https://doi.org/10.1186/s42269-018-0003-8
- Hassan HA, El Wakf AM, El Gharib NE. Role of phytoestrogenic oils in alleviating osteoporosis associated with ovariectomy in rats. Cytotechnology 2013; 65(4): 609-619. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10616-012-9514-6
- American Oil Chemists' Society (AOCS). Official methods and recommended practices of the AOCS. Champaign (IL): AOCS; 2009.
- Veronezi CM, Costa T, Jorge N. Basil (Ocimum Basilicum L.) as a natural antioxidant. J Food Process Preserv 2014; 38(1):255-261. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1745-4549.2012.00771.x
- Reeves PG, Nielsen FH, Fahey GC Jr. AIN-93 purified diets for laboratory rodents: final report of the American Institute of Nutrition ad hoc writing committee on the reformulation of the AIN-76A rodent diet. J Nutr 1993; 123(11): 1939-1951. https://doi.org/10.1093/jn/123.11.1939
- Kaczmarczyk-Sedlak I, Zych M, Rotko K, Sedlak L. Effects of thalidomide on the development of bone damage caused by prednisolone in rats. Pharmacol Rep 2012; 64(2): 386-395. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1734-1140(12)70779-X
- Draper HH, Hadley M. Malondialdehyde determination as index of lipid peroxidation. Methods Enzymol 1990; 186: 421-431. https://doi.org/10.1016/0076-6879(90)86135-I
- Bancroft JD, Gamble M. Theory and practice of histological techniques. 5th edition. London: Churchill Livingstone; 2002.
- Le HT, Phi LT, Dao TT, Phan NK, Van Pham P, Vu NB. A mouse model of osteonecrotic femoral head induced by methylprednisolone and lipopolysaccharide. Biomedical Research and Therapy. 2016; 3(3): 548-556.
- Ton FN, Gunawardene SC, Lee H, Neer RM. Effects of low-dose prednisone on bone metabolism. J Bone Miner Res 2005; 20(3): 464-470. https://doi.org/10.1359/JBMR.041125
- Kaczmarczyk-Sedlak I, Cegiela U, Nowinska B, Folwarczna J. Effects of catecholamines on the intramedullary pressure in the femur in rats with prednisolone-induced osteoporosis. Pharmacol Rep 2006; 58(4): 540-550.
- Lau BY, Cohen DJ, Ward WE, Ma DW. Investigating the role of polyunsaturated fatty acids in bone development using animal models. Molecules 2013; 18(11): 14203-14227. https://doi.org/10.3390/molecules181114203
- Watkins BA, Li Y, Lippman HE, Feng S. Modulatory effect of omega-3 polyunsaturated fatty acids on osteoblast function and bone metabolism. Prostaglandins Leukot Essent Fatty Acids 2003; 68(6): 387-398. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0952-3278(03)00063-2
- Bullon P, Battino M, Varela-Lopez A, Perez-Lopez P, Granados-Principal S, Ramirez-Tortosa MC, et al. Diets based on virgin olive oil or fish oil but not on sunflower oil prevent age-related alveolar bone resorption by mitochondrial-related mechanisms. PLoS One 2013; 8(9): e74234. https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0074234
- Antonacci LE, Bussetti M, Rodriguez MA, Cano AV, Gagliostro GA. Effect of diet supplementation with combinations of soybean and linseed oils on milk production and fatty acid profile in lactating dairy ewes. Agric Sci 2018; 9(2): 200-220. https://doi.org/10.4236/as.2018.92015
- Dorni C, Sharma P, Saikia G, Longvah T. Fatty acid profile of edible oils and fats consumed in India. Food Chem 2018;238: 9-15. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.foodchem.2017.05.072
- Calder PC. Marine omega-3 fatty acids and inflammatory processes: Effects, mechanisms and clinical relevance. Biochim Biophys Acta 2015; 1851(4): 469-484. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.bbalip.2014.08.010
- Shah SK1, Gecys GT. Prednisone-induced osteoporosis: an overlooked and undertreated adverse effect. J Am Osteopath Assoc 2006; 106(11): 653-657.
- Pennisi P, D'Alcamo MA, Leonetti C, Clementi A, Cutuli VM, Riccobene S, et al. Supplementation of L-arginine prevents glucocorticoid-induced reduction of bone growth and bone turnover abnormalities in a growing rat model. J Bone Miner Metab 2005; 23(2): 134-139. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00774-004-0551-x
- Lukas R, Gigliotti JC, Smith BJ, Altman S, Tou JC. Consumption of different sources of omega-3 polyunsaturated fatty acids by growing female rats affects long bone mass and microarchitecture. Bone 2011; 49(3): 455-462. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.bone.2011.05.029
- Sun L, Tamaki H, Ishimaru T, Teruya T, Ohta Y, Katsuyama N, et al. Inhibition of osteoporosis due to restricted food intake by the fish oils DHA and EPA and perilla oil in the rat. Biosci Biotechnol Biochem 2004; 68(12): 2613-2615. https://doi.org/10.1271/bbb.68.2613
- Mazziotti G, Formenti AM, Adler RA, Bilezikian JP, Grossman A, Sbardella E, et al. Glucocorticoid-induced osteoporosis: pathophysiological role of GH/IGF-I and PTH/VITAMIN D axes, treatment options and guidelines. Endocrine 2016; 54(3): 603-611. https://doi.org/10.1007/s12020-016-1146-8
- Suarez-Bregua P, Guerreiro PM, Rotllant J. Stress, glucocorticoids and bone: a review from mammals and fish. Front Endocrinol (Lausanne) 2018; 9: 526. https://doi.org/10.3389/fendo.2018.00526
- Heaney RP, Carey R, Harkness L. Roles of vitamin D, n-3 polyunsaturated fatty acid, and soy isoflavones in bone health. J Am Diet Assoc 2005; 105(11): 1700-1702. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jada.2005.09.011
- Maditz KH, Smith BJ, Miller M, Oldaker C, Tou JC. Feeding soy protein isolate and oils rich in omega-3 polyunsaturated fatty acids affected mineral balance, but not bone in a rat model of autosomal recessive polycystic kidney disease. BMC Nephrol 2015; 16(1): 13. https://doi.org/10.1186/s12882-015-0005-9
- Jaafarnejad F, Hosseini SF, Mazlom SR, Hami M. Comparison of the effect of fish oil and vitamin E on the duration of Cyclic mastalgia. Evid Based Care J 2013; 3(1): 69-76.
- An WS, Lee SM, Son YK, Kim SE, Kim KH, Han JY, et al. Omega-3 fatty acid supplementation increases 1,25-dihydroxyvitamin D and fetuin-A levels in dialysis patients. Nutr Res 2012; 32(7): 495-502. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.nutres.2012.06.005
- Lee SM, Son YK, Kim SE, An WS. The effects of omega-3 fatty acid on vitamin D activation in hemodialysis patients: a pilot study. Mar Drugs 2015; 13(2): 741-755. https://doi.org/10.3390/md13020741
- Dong H, Hutchins-Wiese H, Kleppinger A, Annis K, Liva E, Lammi-Keefe C, et al. Effects of omega-3 polyunsaturated fatty acid supplementation on bone turnover in older women. Int J Vitam Nutr Res 2014; 84(3-4): 124-132. https://doi.org/10.1024/0300-9831/a000199
- Varela-Lopez A, Ochoa JJ, Llamas-Elvira JM, Lopez-Frias M, Planells E, Speranza L, et al. Loss of bone mineral density associated with age in male rats fed on sunflower oil is avoided by virgin olive oil intake or coenzyme Q supplementation. Int J Mol Sci 2017; 18(7): 1397. https://doi.org/10.3390/ijms18071397
- Chen AB, Minami K, Raposo JF, Matsuura N, Koizumi M, Yokota H, et al. Transient modulation of calcium and parathyroid hormone stimulates bone formation. Endocrine 2016; 54(1): 232-240. https://doi.org/10.1007/s12020-016-1066-7
- Han H, Qiu F, Zhao H, Tang H, Li X, Shi D. Dietary flaxseed oil prevents western-type diet-induced nonalcoholic fatty liver disease in apolipoprotein-E knockout mice. Oxid Med Cell Longev 2017; 2017: 3256241.
- Klein K, Gay S. Epigenetics in rheumatoid arthritis. Curr Opin Rheumatol 2015; 27(1): 76-82. https://doi.org/10.1097/BOR.0000000000000128
- Muga MA, Chao JC. Effects of fish oil and spirulina on oxidative stress and inflammation in hypercholesterolemic hamsters. BMC Complement Altern Med 2014; 14(1): 470. https://doi.org/10.1186/1472-6882-14-470
- Pipingas A, Sinclair A, Croft KD, Januszewski AS, Jenkins AJ, Mori TA, et al. Fish oil and multivitamin supplementation reduces oxidative stress but not inflammation in healthy older adults: a randomised controlled trial. J Funct Foods 2015; 19: 949-957. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jff.2014.10.028
- Kasem MA, Khedr ES, Abdel-Aleem AM, Said AS. Histological effect of bisphosphonate, vitamin D and olive oil on glucocorticoid induced osteoporosis (Gio) in Albino Rat. Egypt J Hosp Med 2016; 65: 699-708. https://doi.org/10.12816/0033786
- Derakhshanian H, Djalali M, Djazayery A, Nourijelyani K, Ghadbeigi S, Pishva H, et al. Quercetin prevents experimental glucocorticoid-induced osteoporosis: a comparative study with alendronate. Can J Physiol Pharmacol 2013; 91(5): 380-385. https://doi.org/10.1139/cjpp-2012-0190
- Liu D, Veit HP, Wilson JH, Denbow DM. Long-term supplementation of various dietary lipids alters bone mineral content, mechanical properties and histological characteristics of Japanese quail. Poult Sci 2003; 82(5): 831-839. https://doi.org/10.1093/ps/82.5.831