- Volume 32 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Factors Affecting Organ Donation Intention of High School Students
고등학생의 장기기증 의사에 영향을 미치는 요인
- Kim, Min Young (Department of Nursing, Ulsan University)
- 김민영 (울산대학교 간호학과)
- Received : 2019.09.30
- Accepted : 2019.10.17
- Published : 2019.12.31
Purpose: This study aimed to identify factors affecting the intention to donate organs among high school students. Methods: Data were collected using a questionnaire to measure the knowledge, attitudes, and intention regarding organ donation among 382 high school students in three high schools in one city in December 2018. Data analysis using SPSS 20.0 included a chi-squared test, the Mann-Whitney U test and a logistic regression model. Results: 69.9% of the subjects responded they had intention to donate organs. The factors influencing their organ donation intention were interest in organ donation (odds ratio: OR=3.49, p<.001), knowing the meaning of brain death (OR=7.79, p<.001), acceptive attitude (OR=4.35, p<.001), and exclusive attitude (OR=0.34, p<.001). Conclusion: Organ donation intention is an important factor in the interest in, knowledge of, and positive attitude towards organ donation. High school students should be educated to improve their knowledge and positive attitude regarding organ donation to increase their intention to donate organs.
- Korea Organ Donation Agency. Bridge for life: KODA annual report [Internet]. Seoul: Korea Organ Donation Agency; 2018 [cited 2019 September 20]. Available from: https://www.koda1458.kr/info/donor.do
- Kim JS, Jang IS. The effect of an organ donation education on undergraduate students's knowledge, attitude and practice will to organ donation. Journal of East-West Nursing Research. 2016;22(2):104-112. https://doi.org/10.14370/jewnr.2016.22.2.104 https://doi.org/10.14370/jewnr.2016.22.2.104
- Cho WH. Status of organ donation and solution of organ shortage in Korea. Korean Journal of Transplantation. 2018;32(3):38-48. https://doi.org/10.4285/jkstn.2018.32.3.38 https://doi.org/10.4285/jkstn.2018.32.3.38
- Organdonor.gov. People registered as donors in the US [Internet]. Washington, DC: US Department of Health & Human Services; 2017 [cited 2019 September 20]. Available from: https://www.organdonor.gov/statistics-stories/statistics.html#registration.
- Lee JA, Kim SY. The knowledge and attitude of medical students towards the organ donation. Korean Journal of Transplantation. 2008;22(1):120-129.
- Ju MK, Sim MK, Son SY. A study on nursing students' knowledge, attitude, and educational needs for brain-death organ transplantation and donation and intent to donate organs. Transplantation proceedings. 2018;50(4):1187-1191. https://doi.org/0.1016/j.transproceed.2018.02.036 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.transproceed.2018.02.036
- Lee HA, Hur YJ, Lee YG, Song GR, Lee EJ, Shin SJ. Factors affecting nurse clinicians' knowledge and attitude of organs procurement from brain dead patients. Journal of Korean Critical Care Nursing. 2017;10(3):19-30.
- Lee SO. A study on the knowledge and practice will toward organ donation among university students. Asia-pacific Journal of Multimedia Services Convergent with Art, Humanities, and Sociology. 2017;7(9):417-428. https://doi.org/10.14257/ajmahs.2017.09.51. https://doi.org/10.14257/AJMAHS.2017.09.51
- Kim YJ, Lee MN. Attitude on nursing ethical values and on brain death organ donation of hospital nurses. The Journal of the Korea Contents Association. 2011;11(10):312-323. https://doi.org/10.5392/JKCA.2011.11.10.312. https://doi.org/10.5392/JKCA.2011.11.10.312
- Seo YS, Lee YH. Knowledge and attitude about organ donation and organ transplantation among the organ donation candidates. Journal of Korean Clinical Nursing Research. 2009;15(3):95-105.
- Hwang BD, Im BH, Jung WJ. The factors of related towards intention to organ donation by the citizens of Busan. Journal of Korea Academia-Industrial cooperation Society. 2011;12(1):341-350. https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2011.12.1.341 https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2011.12.1.341
- Jung EY, Seo JH. The effect of brain death organ donation education program on nursing students' knowledge, attitude, and behavioral intention. The Journal of Humanities and Social science. 2016;7(1):209-226. https://doi.org/10.22143/HSS126.96.36.199.
- You HS. The effect of brain death organ donation education on nurses' knowledge and attitude. Journal of Korean Clinical Nursing Research. 2009;15(2):57-65.
- Matten MR, Sliepcevich EM, Sarvela PD, Lacey EP, Woehlke PL, Richardson CE, et al. Nurses' knowledge, attitudes, and beliefs regarding organ and tissue donation and transplantation. Public Health Reports. 1991;106(2):155-166.
- Ju AE. Nurses' attitudes toward organ transplantation [master's thesis]. Seoul: Yonsei University; 1995. p. 1-50.
- Aijing L, Wenzhao X, Wei W, Qiquan W, Xuantong D. Public opinion on organ donation after death and its influence on attitudes toward organ donation. Annals of Transplantation. 2016;21:516-524. https://doi.org/10.12659/aot.899268 https://doi.org/10.12659/AOT.899268
- Contiero PP, Wilson DM. Understanding ambivalence toward organ donation and transplantation: An exploratory study of nursing students. Nurse Education Today. 2019;76:191-195. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.nedt.2019.02.008 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.nedt.2019.02.008
- Fontana F, Massari M, Giovannini L, Alfano G, Cappelli G. Knowledge and attitudes toward organ donation in health care undergraduate students in Italy. Transplantation Proceedings. 2017;49(9):1982-1987. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.transproceed.2017.09.029 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.transproceed.2017.09.029
- Cho WH, Kim SK, Kim MS, Ahn C, Bang KT, Jeon KO, et al. A proposal to activate organ donation: Report of Organ Allocation Study Group. Korean Journal of Transplantation. 2009;23(1):8-14.
- Ryoo CJ. The influence of hospice volunteering and death education on high school students' attitude toward death and meaning of life. The Journal of the Korean Society of School Health. 2016;29(3):310-317. https://doi.org/10.15434/kssh.2016.29.3.310 https://doi.org/10.15434/kssh.2016.29.3.310
- Yi EY, Kim CN. The effect of school health education based on life skill training on middle school students' health knowledge, attitude, and behavior. The Journal of the Korean Society of School Health. 2015;28(3):211-219. https://doi.org/10.15434/kssh.2015.28.3.211 https://doi.org/10.15434/KSSH.2015.28.3.211