- Volume 39 Issue 5
DOI QR Code
Identification of Internal Resistance of Microbial Fuel Cell by Electrochemical Technique and Its Effect on Voltage Change and Organic Matter Reduction Associated with Power Management System
전기화학적 기법에 의한 미생물연료전지 내부저항 특성 파악 및 전력관리시스템 연계 전압 변화와 유기물 저감에 미치는 영향
- Jang, Jae Kyung (Energy and Environmental Division, National Academy of Agricultural Sciences, Rural Development Administration) ;
- Park, Hyemin (Energy and Environmental Division, National Academy of Agricultural Sciences, Rural Development Administration) ;
- Kim, Taeyoung (Energy and Environmental Division, National Academy of Agricultural Sciences, Rural Development Administration) ;
- Yang, Yoonseok (Division of Biomedical Engineering, Chonbuk National University) ;
- Yeo, Jeongjin (Division of Biomedical Engineering, Chonbuk National University) ;
- Kang, Sukwon (Energy and Environmental Division, National Academy of Agricultural Sciences, Rural Development Administration) ;
- Paek, Yee (Energy and Environmental Division, National Academy of Agricultural Sciences, Rural Development Administration) ;
- Kwon, Jin Kyung (Energy and Environmental Division, National Academy of Agricultural Sciences, Rural Development Administration)
- 장재경 (국립농업과학원 농업공학부 에너지환경공학과) ;
- 박혜민 (국립농업과학원 농업공학부 에너지환경공학과) ;
- 김태영 (국립농업과학원 농업공학부 에너지환경공학과) ;
- 양윤석 (전북대학교 바이오메디컬공학부) ;
- 여정진 (전북대학교 바이오메디컬공학부) ;
- 강석원 (국립농업과학원 농업공학부 에너지환경공학과) ;
- 백이 (국립농업과학원 농업공학부 에너지환경공학과) ;
- 권진경 (국립농업과학원 농업공학부 에너지환경공학과)
- Published : 2018.10.31
The internal resistance of microbial fuel cell (MFC) using stainless steel skein for oxidizing electrode was investigated and the factors affecting the voltage generation were identified. We also investigated the effect of power management system (PMS) on the usability for MFC and the removal efficiency of organic pollutants. The performance of a stack microbial fuel cell connected with (PMS) or PMS+LED was analyzed by the voltage generation and organic matter reduction. The maximum power density of the unit cells was found to be
Supported by : 농촌진흥청
- I.S. Chang, H.S. Moon, O.Bretschger, J.K. Jang, H.I. Park, K.H. Nealson, and B.H. Kim. "Electrochemically active bacteria (EAB) and mediator-less microbial fuel cells," J. Microbiol. Biotechnol. vol. 16, pp. 163-177, 2006.
- H. Liu, and B.E. Logan, "Electricity generation using an aircathode single chamber microbial fuel cell in the presence and absence of a proton exchange membrane," Environ. Sci. Technol. vol. 38, pp. 4040-4046, 2004. https://doi.org/10.1021/es0499344
- J.K. Jang, T.H. Pham, I.S. Chang, K.H. Kang, H. Moon, K.S. Cho, and B.Hong. Kim, "Construction and operation of a novel mediator- and membrane-less microbial fuel cell," Process Biochemistry, vol. 39, pp. 1007-1012, 2004.
- G.C. Gil, I.S. Chang, B.H. Kim, M. Kim, J.K. Jang, H.S. Park, and H.J. Kim, "Operational parameters affecting the performance of a mediator-less microbial fuel cell," Biosens. Bioelectron., vol. 18, No. 4, pp. 327-334, 2003. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0956-5663(02)00110-0
- Z. He, S.D. Minteer, and L.T. Angenent, "Electricity generation from artificial wastewater using an upflow microbial fuel cell," Environ. Sci. Technol. vol. 39, pp. 5262-5267, 2005. https://doi.org/10.1021/es0502876
- B.H. Kim, I.S. Chang, G.C. Gil, H.S. Park, and H.J. Kim,"Novel BOD (biological oxygen demand) sensor using mediator-less microbial fuel cell," Biotechnology letters, vol. 25, pp. 541-545, 2003. https://doi.org/10.1023/A:1022891231369
- Y.C. Song, J.H. Woo, and K.S. Yoo, "Materials for microbial fuel cell: electrodes, separator and current collector," Kor. Soc. Eviron. Eng., vol. 31, no. 9, pp. 693-704, 2009.
- P. Clauwaet, P. Aelterman, T.H. Pham, L.D. Schamphelaire, M. Carballa, K. Rabaey, and W. Verstraete, " Minimizing losses in bio-electrochemical system: the road to application," Appl. Microbiol. Biotechnol., vol. 79, pp. 901-913, 2008. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00253-008-1522-2
- C. Jayashree, S. Sweta, P. Arulazhagan, I.T. Yeom, M.I.I. Iqbal, and B.J. Rajesh," Electricity generation from retting wastewater consisting of recalcitrant compounds using continuous upflow microbial fuel cell," Biotechnol. Bioproc. Eng., vol. 20, pp. 753-759, 2015. https://doi.org/10.1007/s12257-015-0017-0
- W.-W. Li, H.-Q. Yu, and Z. He, "Towards sustainable wastewater treatment by using microbial fuel cells-centered technologies," Energy Environ. Sci. vol. 7, pp. 911-924, 2014.
- G. Zhang, Q. Zhao, Y. Jiao, and D.-J. Lee, "Long-term operation of manure-microbial fuel cell," Bioresour. Technol. vol. 180 pp. 365-369, 2015. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.biortech.2015.01.002
- T. Kim, S. Kang, H.W. Kim, Y. Paek, J.H. Sung, Y.H. Kim, and J.K. Jang, "Assessment of organic removal in series- and parallel-connected microbial fuel cell stacks," Biotechnol. Bioproc. Eng., vol. 22, pp. 739-747, 2017. https://doi.org/10.1007/s12257-017-0378-7
- J. An and H.-S. Lee, "Occurrence and implications of voltage reversal in stacted microbial fuel cells," Chemsuschem, vol. 7, pp. 1689-1695, 2014. https://doi.org/10.1002/cssc.201300949
- S.-E. Oh and B.E. Logan, "Voltage reversal during microbial fuel cell stack operation," J. Power Sources. vol. 167, pp. 11-17, 2007. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jpowsour.2007.02.016
- L. Zhuang, Y. Zheng, S. Zhou, Y. Yuan, H. Yuan, and Y. Chen, "Scalable microbial fuel cell(MFC) stack for continuous real wastewater treatment," Bioresour. Technol., vol. 106, pp. 82-88, 2012. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.biortech.2011.11.019
- J. An, Y. S. Lee, T. Kim, and I. S. Chang, "Significance of maximum current for voltage boosting of microbial fuel cells in series," J. Power Sources, vol. 323, pp. 23-28, 2016. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jpowsour.2016.04.138
- B. Kim, B.-G. Lee, B.H. Kim, and I.S. Chang, "Assistance current effect for prevention of voltage reversal in stacked microbial fuel cell systems,"Chemsuschem, vol. 2, pp. 755-760, 2015.
- C. Donovan, A. Dewan, H. Peng, D. Heo, and H. Beyenal, "Power management system for a 2.5Wremote sensor powered by a sediment microbial fuel cell,"J. Power Sources, vol. 196, pp. 1171-1177, 2011. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jpowsour.2010.08.099
- J. Winfield, L. Chambers, A. Stinchcombe, A. Rossiter, and I. Ieropoulos, "The power of glove: Soft microbial fuel cell for low-power electronics," J. Power Sources, vol. 249, pp. 327-332, 2014.. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jpowsour.2013.10.096
- J. An, T. Kim, and I.S. Chang,"Concurrent control of power overshoot and voltage reversal with series connection of parallel-connected microbial fuel cells,"Energy Technol. vol. 4, pp. 729-736, 2016. https://doi.org/10.1002/ente.201500466
- V.J. Watson and B.E. Logan, "Analysis of polarization methods for elimination of power overshoot in microbial fuel cells," Electrochemistry Communications, vol. 13, pp, 54-56, 2011. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.elecom.2010.11.011
- Z. He and F. Mansfeld, "Exploring the use of electrochemical impedance spectroscopy (EIS) in microbial fuel cell studies" Energy Environ. Sci. vol. 2, pp. 215-219, 2009. https://doi.org/10.1039/B814914C
- K. Watanabe, "Recent developments in microbial fuel cell technologies for sustainable bioenergy," J. Biosci. Bioeng. vol. 106, no. 6, pp. 528-536, 2008. https://doi.org/10.1263/jbb.106.528
- R.A. Rozendal, H.V.M Hamelers, K. Rabaey, J.Keller, and C.J.N. Buisman, "Tovards practical implementation of bioelectrochemical wastewater treatment," Trends in Biotechnol., vol. 26, no. 8, pp. 450-459, 2008. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.tibtech.2008.04.008
- K.-W. Park and S.-E. Oh, "Measurement of activation and ohmic losses using a current interruption technique in a microbial fuel cell," Kor. vol. 32, no. 4, pp. 357-362, 2010.