- Volume 24 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Impacts of Psychological Distress, Gender Role Attitude, and Housekeeping Sharing on Quality of Life of Gynecologic Cancer Survivors
부인암 생존자의 심리적 디스트레스와 성역할태도, 가사분담이 삶의 질에 미치는 영향
- Kim, Gunhee (Dongnam Institute of Radiological.Medical Sciences) ;
- Kim, Moonjeong (Department of Nursing, Pukyong National University)
- Received : 2018.07.26
- Accepted : 2018.08.29
- Published : 2018.09.20
Purpose: To determine impacts of psychological distress, gender role attitude, and housekeeping sharing on quality of life of gynecologic cancer survivors. Methods: Subjects completed questionnaires consisting of four measurements: FACT-G (ver. 4) for quality of life, anxiety and depression from SCL-90-R for psychological distress, gender role attitude, and housekeeping sharing. A total of 158 completed data sets were analyzed by descriptive statistics, independent t-test, ANOVA, Pearson's correlation coefficient, and multiple regression analysis using SPSS 21.0 program. Results: Quality of life was significantly and negatively correlated with psychological distress (r=-0.64, p<.001), but not with gender role attitude (r=-0.14, p=.820) or housekeeping sharing (r=0.08, p=.350). Psychological distress was significantly and positively correlated with gender role attitude (r=0.25, p<.010). Factors that significantly impacted quality of life were type of cancer (t=2.27, p=.025), number of treatment methods (t=2.58, p=.011), education level (t=3.33, p<.001), and psychological distress (t=-9.96, p<.001). Conclusion: Nursing interventions that can relieve psychological distress need to be developed for gynecologic cancer survivors. Nurses need to put priority on ovarian cancer survivors who have low education level with multiple treatment methods when performing nursing interventions to improve the quality of life of gynecologic cancer survivors.
- National Cancer Information Center (KR). Cancer incidence [Internet]. [Accessed July 24, 2018]. Available from: https://www.cancer.go.kr/lay1/S1T639C641/contents.do
- Ferrell BR. The quality of lives: 1,525 voices of cancer. Oncology Nursing Forum. 1996;23(6):909-916.
- Lim JW, Han IY. Comparison of quality of life on the stage of cancer survivorship for breast and gynecologic cancer survivors. Korean Journal of Social Welfare. 2008;60(1):5-27. https://doi.org/10.20970/kasw.2008.60.1.001
- Mullan F. Seasons of survival: Reflections of a physician with cancer. New England Journal of Medicine. 1985;313(4):270-273. https://doi.org/10.1056/NEJM198507253130421
- Holzner B, Kemmler G, Kopp M, Moschen R, Schweigkofler HR, Du Nser M, et al. Quality of life in breast cancer patients: Not enough attention for long-term survivors? Psychosomatics. 2001;42(2):117-123. https://doi.org/10.1176/appi.psy.42.2.117
- Chun MS, Lee EH, Moon SM, Kang SH, Ryu HS. Medicaland-psychosocial factors influencing on the quality of life in patients with cervix cancer. The Journal of the Korean Society for Therapeutic Radiology and Oncology. 2005;23(4):201-210.
- Kim EK, Park YS. Health promotion, stress and quality of life in patients with genital neoplasms. The Korean Journal of Rehabilitation Nursing. 2010;13(2):114-122.
- Park JS, Oh YJ. Factors influencing on quality of life in gynecological cancer patients. Korean Journal of Adult Nursing. 2012;24(1):52-63. https://doi.org/10.7475/kjan.2012.24.1.52
- Ozaras G, Ozyurda F. Quality of life and influencing factors in patients with a gynecologic cancer diagnosis at Gazi University, Turkey. Asian Pacific Journal of Cancer Prevention. 2010;11(5):1403-1408.
- Park JS, Oh YJ. Development and evaluation of the psychosocial distress nursing intervention for patients with gynecological cancer. Korean Journal of Adult Nursing. 2012;24(3): 219-231. https://doi.org/10.7475/kjan.2012.24.3.219
- Park JS, Lee HR. Comparison of distress and body image according to the stages of cancer survivorship in gynecological cancer patients. Asian Oncology Nursing. 2014;14(1):15-22. https://doi.org/10.5388/aon.2014.14.1.15
- Jun SY. Structure equation modeling for quality of life in patients with uterine cancer by survival stage [dissertation]. Seoul: Yonsei University; 2015. 107 p.
- Kim HL, Puymon MR, Qin M, Guru K, Mohler JL. A method for using life tables to estimate lifetime risk for prostate cancer death. Journal of the National Comprehensive Cancer Network 2010;8(2):148-154. https://doi.org/10.6004/jnccn.2010.0011
- Shim EJ, Mehnert A, Koyama A, Cho SJ, Inui H, Paik NS, et al. Health-related quality of life in breast cancer: A cross-cultural survey of German, Japanese, and South Korean patients. Breast Cancer Research and Treatment. 2006;99(3):341-350. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10549-006-9216-x
- Fischer J, Anderson VN. Gender role attitudes and characteristics of stay-at-home and employed fathers. Psychology of Men & Masculinity. 2012;13(1):16-31. https://doi.org/10.1037/a0024359
- Lee JS, Choi WS. A study on path of work-family reconciliation conflict of married working women. Journal of Asian Women 2011;50(1):169-198.
- Han IY, Hong SH. Do gender role attitudes affect on depression? The Korean Journal of Woman Psychology. 2011;16(4): 477-498. https://doi.org/10.18205/kpa.2011.16.4.004
- Kim JG. The impact of sex role attitude on household labor participation: The moderate effect of sex and marital status [master's thesis]. Seoul: Sungkyunkwan University; 2015. 63 p.
- Kim SJ. A study on impacts on qualitative changes of marital relationships and depression, the participation to domestic labor and the shared activities between couples after husband's retirement [master's thesis]. Seoul: Sungshin Women's University; 2013. 92 p.
- Cella DF, Tulsky DS, Gray G, Sarafian B, Linn E, Bonomi A, et al. The functional assessment of cancer therapy scale: Development and validation of the general measure. Journal of Clinical Oncology. 1993;11(3):570-579. https://doi.org/10.1200/JCO.19188.8.131.520
- Kim H, Yoo HJ, Kim YJ, Han OS, Lee KH, Lee JH, et al. Development and validation of Korean Functional Assessment Cancer Therapy-General (FACT-G). Korean Journal of Clinical Psychology. 2003;22(1):215-229.
- Derogatis LR, Rickels K, Rock AF. The SCL-90 and the MMPI: A step in the validation of a new self-report scale. The British Journal of Psychiatry. 1976;128(3):280-289. https://doi.org/10.1192/bjp.128.3.280
- Kim KI, Kim JH, Won HT. Korean manual of symptom checklist-90-revision. Seoul: Jung Ang Juk Sung Publisher; 1984. p. 8-10.
- Lee OJ. The influence of lifestyles of the baby boomers on marital satisfaction and the moderating effects of gender-role attitude [dissertation]. Suwon: Kyonggi University; 2015. 107 p.
- Miller BE, Pittman B, Case D, McQuellon RP. Quality of life after treatment for gynecologic malignancies: A pilot study in an outpatient clinic. Gynecologic oncology. 2002;87(2):178-184. https://doi.org/10.1006/gyno.2002.6812
- Kim KMJ. Lived experience of comfort of women during chemotherapy [dissertation]. Daegu: Keimyung University; 2001. 89 p.
- Penar-Zadarko B, Binkowska-Bury M, Wolan M, Gawelko J, Urbanski K. Longitudinal assessment of quality of life in ovarian cancer patients. European Journal of Oncology Nursing. 2013;17(3):381-385. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ejon.2012.10.014
- Kim GD, Jang HJ. Effects of pain, sleep disturbance, and fatigue on the quality of life in patients with pancreatic cancer undergoing chemotherapy. Asian Oncology Nursing. 2012;12(2):117-124. https://doi.org/10.5388/aon.2012.12.2.117
- Baik OM, Lim JW. Social support in Korean breast and gynecologic cancer survivors: Comparison by the cancer stage at diagnosis and the stage of cancer survivorship. Korean Journal of Family Social Work. 2011;32(6):5-35. https://doi.org/10.16975/kjfsw.2011.32.001
- Lee EM. A study of medical service utilization in patient with depression undergoing mastectomy and hysterectomy [master's thesis]. Seoul: Korea University; 2009. 87 p.