- Volume 45 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Evaluation of prooxidant-antioxidant balance in in vitro fertilization-conceived mice
- Ahmadi, Hamid (Department of Anatomy, Medical School, Tehran University of Medical Sciences) ;
- Fathi, Fardin (Cellular and Molecular Research Center, School of Medicine, Kurdistan University of Medical Sciences) ;
- Moeini, Ashraf (Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Arash Women's Hospital, Tehran University of Medical Sciences) ;
- Amidi, Fardin (Department of Anatomy, Medical School, Tehran University of Medical Sciences) ;
- Sobhani, Aligholi (Department of Anatomy, Medical School, Tehran University of Medical Sciences)
- Received : 2018.03.30
- Accepted : 2018.06.08
- Published : 2018.06.30
Objective: Concerns about the safety of assisted reproductive technology (ART) have been raised, as some studies have shown elevated incidence rates of childhood cancer, asthma, allergies, and other diseases in ART-conceived babies. Findings regarding the health of ART-conceived babies are controversial. The present study was conducted to evaluate the prooxidant-antioxidant balance (PAB) in in vitro fertilization (IVF)-conceived mice in comparison to naturally conceived offspring. Methods: Mice (6-8 weeks) were divided into two groups (IVF-conceived and naturally conceived) matched by sex, age, weight, and litter size. A 1-mL blood sample was taken and the sera were separated. The oxidant-antioxidant balance was evaluated using a fast and reliable PAB assay. The results were expressed as
Supported by : Tehran University of Medical Sciences
- White CE. Let IVF take its course, reconceiving procreative liberty for the twenty-first century. Women's Rights Law Report 2013;35:1.
- Feuer SK, Camarano L, Rinaudo PF. ART and health: clinical out-comes and insights on molecular mechanisms from rodent studies. Mol Hum Reprod 2013;19:189-204. https://doi.org/10.1093/molehr/gas066
- Rivera RM, Stein P, Weaver JR, Mager J, Schultz RM, Bartolomei MS. Manipulations of mouse embryos prior to implantation result in aberrant expression of imprinted genes on day 9.5 of development. Hum Mol Genet 2008;17:1-14. https://doi.org/10.1093/hmg/ddm280
- Schwarzer C, Esteves TC, Arauzo-Bravo MJ, Le Gac S, Nordhoff V, Schlatt S, et al. ART culture conditions change the probability of mouse embryo gestation through defined cellular and molecular responses. Hum Reprod 2012;27:2627-40. https://doi.org/10.1093/humrep/des223
- Ventura-Junca P, Irarrazaval I, Rolle AJ, Gutierrez JI, Moreno RD, Santos MJ. In vitro fertilization (IVF) in mammals: epigenetic and developmental alterations. Scientific and bioethical implications for IVF in humans. Biol Res 2015;48:68. https://doi.org/10.1186/s40659-015-0059-y
- Fernandez-Gonzalez R, Moreira P, Bilbao A, Jimenez A, Perez-Crespo M, Ramirez MA, et al. Long-term effect of in vitro culture of mouse embryos with serum on mRNA expression of imprinting genes, development, and behavior. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 2004;101:5880-5. https://doi.org/10.1073/pnas.0308560101
- Fernandez-Gonzalez R, Moreira PN, Perez-Crespo M, Sanchez-Martin M, Ramirez MA, Pericuesta E, et al. Long-term effects of mouse intracytoplasmic sperm injection with DNA-fragmented sperm on health and behavior of adult offspring. Biol Reprod 2008;78:761-72. https://doi.org/10.1095/biolreprod.107.065623
- Kwong WY, Wild AE, Roberts P, Willis AC, Fleming TP. Maternal undernutrition during the preimplantation period of rat development causes blastocyst abnormalities and programming of postnatal hypertension. Development 2000;127:4195-202.
- Lonergan P, Fair T, Corcoran D, Evans AC. Effect of culture environment on gene expression and developmental characteristics in IVF-derived embryos. Theriogenology 2006;65:137-52. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.theriogenology.2005.09.028
- Watkins AJ, Platt D, Papenbrock T, Wilkins A, Eckert JJ, Kwong WY, et al. Mouse embryo culture induces changes in postnatal phenotype including raised systolic blood pressure. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 2007;104:5449-54. https://doi.org/10.1073/pnas.0610317104
- Feuer SK, Liu X, Donjacour A, Lin W, Simbulan RK, Giritharan G, et al. Use of a mouse in vitro fertilization model to understand the developmental origins of health and disease hypothesis. Endocrinology 2014;155:1956-69. https://doi.org/10.1210/en.2013-2081
- Lobo V, Patil A, Phatak A, Chandra N. Free radicals, antioxidants and functional foods: impact on human health. Pharmacogn Rev 2010;4:118-26.
- Mates JM, Perez-Gomez C, Nunez de Castro I. Antioxidant enzymes and human diseases. Clin Biochem 1999;32:595-603. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0009-9120(99)00075-2
- Dhalla NS, Temsah RM, Netticadan T. Role of oxidative stress in cardiovascular diseases. J Hypertens 2000;18:655-73. https://doi.org/10.1097/00004872-200018060-00002
- Kasparova S, Brezova V, Valko M, Horecky J, Mlynarik V, Liptaj T, et al. Study of the oxidative stress in a rat model of chronic brain hypoperfusion. Neurochem Int 2005;46:601-11. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.neuint.2005.02.006
- Valko M, Leibfritz D, Moncol J, Cronin MT, Mazur M, Telser J. Free radicals and antioxidants in normal physiological functions and human disease. Int J Biochem Cell Biol 2007;39:44-84. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.biocel.2006.07.001
- Bhatnagar A, Aggarwal A. Oxidative stress: a major player in the pathophysiology of systemic lupus erythematosus. In: Laher I, ed. Systems biology of free radicals and antioxidants. Heidelberg: Springer; 2014. p. 2539-59.
- Berker KI, Guclu K, Demirata B, Apak R. A novel antioxidant assay of ferric reducing capacity measurement using ferrozine as the colour forming complexation reagent. Anal Methods 2010;2:1770-8.
- Horoz M, Bolukbas C, Bolukbas FF, Sabuncu T, Aslan M, Sarifakiogullari S, et al. Measurement of the total antioxidant response using a novel automated method in subjects with nonalcoholic steatohepatitis. BMC Gastroenterol 2005;5:35. https://doi.org/10.1186/1471-230X-5-35
- Alamdari DH, Ghayour-Mobarhan M, Tavallaie S, Parizadeh MR, Moohebati M, Ghafoori F, et al. Prooxidant-antioxidant balance as a new risk factor in patients with angiographically defined coronary artery disease. Clin Biochem 2008;41:375-80. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.clinbiochem.2007.12.008
- Alamdari DH, Paletas K, Pegiou T, Sarigianni M, Befani C, Koliakos G. A novel assay for the evaluation of the prooxidant-antioxidant balance, before and after antioxidant vitamin administration in type II diabetes patients. Clin Biochem 2007;40:248-54. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.clinbiochem.2006.10.017
- Pare WP, Glavin GB. Restraint stress in biomedical research: a review. Neurosci Biobehav Rev 1986;10:339-70.
- Pinborg A, Lidegaard O, Freiesleben Nl, Andersen AN. Vanishing twins: a predictor of small-for-gestational age in IVF singletons. Hum Reprod 2007;22:2707-14. https://doi.org/10.1093/humrep/dem225
- Kallen B, Finnstrom O, Nygren KG, Olausson PO. In vitro fertilization in Sweden: child morbidity including cancer risk. Fertil Steril 2005;84:605-10. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.fertnstert.2005.03.035
- Klemetti R, Sevon T, Gissler M, Hemminki E. Health of children born as a result of in vitro fertilization. Pediatrics 2006;118:1819-27. https://doi.org/10.1542/peds.2006-0735
- Cetinkaya F, Gelen SA, Kervancioglu E, Oral E. Prevalence of asthma and other allergic diseases in children born after in vitro fertilisation. Allergol Immunopathol (Madr) 2009;37:11-3. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0301-0546(09)70245-9
- Kalen B, Finnstrom O, Nygren KG, Otterblad Olausson P. Asthma in Swedish children conceived by in vitro fertilisation. Arch Dis Child 2013;98:92-6. https://doi.org/10.1136/archdischild-2012-301822
- Carson C, Sacker A, Kelly Y, Redshaw M, Kurinczuk JJ, Quigley MA. Asthma in children born after infertility treatment: findings from the UK Millennium Cohort Study. Hum Reprod 2013;28:471-9. https://doi.org/10.1093/humrep/des398
- Kallen B, Finnstrom O, Lindam A, Nilsson E, Nygren KG, Olausson PO. Cancer risk in children and young adults conceived by in vitro fertilization. Pediatrics 2010;126:270-6.
- Kallen B, Finnstrom O, Nygren KG, Olausson PO. The link between IVF children and cancer: what do we know so far. Reprod Syst Sex Disord 2012;S5:004.
- Williams CL, Bunch KJ, Stiller CA, Murphy MF, Botting BJ, Wallace WH, et al. Cancer risk among children born after assisted conception. N Engl J Med 2013;369:1819-27. https://doi.org/10.1056/NEJMoa1301675
- Ceelen M, van Weissenbruch MM, Roos JC, Vermeiden JP, van Leeuwen FE, Delemarre-van de Waal HA. Body composition in children and adolescents born after in vitro fertilization or spontaneous conception. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 2007;92:3417-23. https://doi.org/10.1210/jc.2006-2896
- Ceelen M, van Weissenbruch MM, Vermeiden JP, van Leeuwen FE, Delemarre-van de Waal HA. Cardiometabolic differences in children born after in vitro fertilization: follow-up study. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 2008;93:1682-8. https://doi.org/10.1210/jc.2007-2432
- Sakka SD, Loutradis D, Kanaka-Gantenbein C, Margeli A, Papastamataki M, Papassotiriou I, et al. Absence of insulin resistance and low-grade inflammation despite early metabolic syndrome manifestations in children born after in vitro fertilization. Fertil Steril 2010;94:1693-9.