- Volume 27 Issue 7
DOI QR Code
Evaluating Sediment Heavy Metal Pollution Level and Monitoring Network Representativeness at the Upstream Points of the Gangjeong-Goryeong Weir in the Nakdong River
낙동강 강정고령보 상류 퇴적물 측정망 지점의 중금속 오염도 및 대표성 평가
- Ahn, Jung Min (National Institute of Environmental Research, Nakdong River Environment Research Cente) ;
- Im, Teo Hyo (National Institute of Environmental Research, Nakdong River Environment Research Cente) ;
- Kim, Sungmin (National Institute of Environmental Research, Nakdong River Environment Research Cente) ;
- Lee, Sangsu (National Institute of Environmental Research, Nakdong River Environment Research Cente) ;
- Kim, Shin (National Institute of Environmental Research, Nakdong River Environment Research Cente) ;
- Lee, Kwon Cheol (National Institute of Environmental Research, Nakdong River Environment Research Cente) ;
- Kim, Yong Seok (National Institute of Environmental Research, Nakdong River Environment Research Cente) ;
- Yang, Deuk Seok (National Institute of Environmental Research, Nakdong River Environment Research Cente)
- 안정민 (국립환경과학원 낙동강물환경연구소) ;
- 임태효 (국립환경과학원 낙동강물환경연구소) ;
- 김성민 (국립환경과학원 낙동강물환경연구소) ;
- 이상수 (국립환경과학원 낙동강물환경연구소) ;
- 김신 (국립환경과학원 낙동강물환경연구소) ;
- 이권철 (국립환경과학원 낙동강물환경연구소) ;
- 김용석 (국립환경과학원 낙동강물환경연구소) ;
- 양득석 (국립환경과학원 낙동강물환경연구소)
- Received : 2017.12.19
- Accepted : 2018.04.02
- Published : 2018.07.31
In this study, heavy metal levels at the sediment monitoring network site upstream of the Gangjeong-Goryeong weir in the Nakdong River were surveyed from 2012 to 2016. We assessed the sediment pollution level using various pollution indexes based on ICP-MS analysis. The stream sediment pollution assessment standard, established through Regulation No. 687 of the National Institute of Environmental Research (2015), pollution load index (PLI), potential ecological risk index (RI), and mean PEL Quotient (mPELQ) were used to evaluate the sediment pollution level. We verified the representativeness of the monitoring point through the distribution of sedimentation and scour behavior by river bed surveying using anacousticDopplercurrentprofiler.
Supported by : 국립환경과학원
- Ahn, J. M., Lee, S. J., Kang, T., 2014, Evaluation of dams and weirs operating for water resource management of the Geum River, J. Sci. Total Environ., 478, 103-115. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.scitotenv.2014.01.038
- ASTM, 2010, Standard test method for measuring the toxicity of sediment associated contaminants with freshwater invertebrates, E1705-05.
- Fairy, R., Long, E. D., Roberts, C. A., Anderson, B. S., Phillips, B. M., Hung, J. W., Puckett, H. R., Wilson, C. J., 2001, An Evaluation of methods for calculating, mean sediment quality guideline quotients and indicators of contamination and acute toxicity to amphipods by chemical mixtures, Environ. Toxicol. Chem., 20, 2276-2286. https://doi.org/10.1002/etc.5620201021
- Harikumar, P. S., Nasir, U. P., Mujeebu, M. P., Rahma, 2009, Distribution of heavy metals in the core sediments of a tropical wetland system, International Journal. Environmental Science Technology, 6, 225-232. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF03327626
- Hokanson, L., 1980, Ecological risk index for aquatic pollution control, A sedimentological approach, Water Research, 14, 975-1001. https://doi.org/10.1016/0043-1354(80)90143-8
- Hwang, H. M., Green, P. G., Young, T. M., 2008, Tidal salt marsh sediment in California, USA; part 3. current and historic toxicity potential of contaminants and their bioaccumulation, Chemosphere, 71, 2139-2149. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.chemosphere.2008.01.005
- Kim, J. Y., Eun, G. Y. N., Koh, Y. K., Youn, S. T., Oh, K. H., Kim, D. J., 2001, Sedimentary environments and geochemical characters of the core sediments near Naju-Yeongam area in the lower part of the Yeongsan River, Cheonnam, Korea, J. Kor. Earth Sci. Soc., 22, 301-316.
- Lee, I. C., Kim, K. H., Ryu, C. R., Kim, Y. T., 2004, A Study on the analysis of behavior of inflowing sediments in Nakdong River estuary, J. Ocean Eng. Tech., 218-222.
- Ministry of Environment (MOE), 2012, Official test methods of water quality, notification No. 2012-99, Ministry of Environment, 1-333.
- Ministry of Environment, 2017, Water environmental monitoring network operation plan.
- National Institute of Environmental Research (NIER), 2011, Baseline concentrations of heavy metals in river sediments in Korea, Ministry of Environment, 1-138.
- National Institute of Environmental Research (NIER), 2015, Regulation No. 687, sediment pollution evaluation standards, Incheon, Republic of Korea.
- Onyari, M. J., Muohi, A. W., Omomdi, J., Mavuti, K. M., 2003, Heavy metals in sediments from Makupa and Port-Reitz creek system, Kenyan Coast Environ. Int., 28, 639-647.
- Ra, K. T., Kim, E. S., Kim, J. K., Kim, K. T., Lee, J. M., Kim, E. Y., 2013, Distribution and pollution assessment of trace metals in core sediments from the artificial lake Shihwa, Korea, J. Oce. Pol. Res., 35, 69-83. https://doi.org/10.4217/OPR.2013.35.2.069
- Smith, S. L., MacDonald, D. D., Keenleyside, K. A., Ingersoll, C. G., Field, J., 1996, A Preliminary evaluation of sediment quality assessment values for freshwater ecosystem, J. Great Lakes Res., 22, 624-638. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0380-1330(96)70985-1
- Soares, H. M., Boaventura, R. A. R., Esteves da Silva, J., 1999, Sediments as monitors of heavy metal contamination in the Ave River Basin (Portugal): multivariate analysis of data, Environmental Pollution, 105, 311-323. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0269-7491(99)00048-2
- Taylor, S. R., 1964, Abundance of chemical elements in the continental crust: A New table, Geochimicaet-Cosmochimica. Acta., 28, 1273-1285. https://doi.org/10.1016/0016-7037(64)90129-2
- Thornton, I., 1983, Applied environmental geochemistry, Academic Press, London, 1-501.
- Tomlinson, D. L., Wilson, J. G., Harris, C. R., Jeffney, D. W., 1980, Problems in the assessment of heavy metal levels in estuaries and the formation of a pollution index, Helgol. Wiss. Meeresunters, 33, 566-572. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF02414780
- Yoon, E. C., Lee, J. S., 2008, Characteristics of seasonal variarion to sedimentary environment at the estuary area of the Nakdong, Jornal of Korean Society of Coastal and Ocean Engineers, 20, 372-389.