- Volume 2 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Adaptive planar vision marker composed of LED arrays for sensing under low visibility
- Kim, Kyukwang (Urban Robotics Laboratory(URL), Korea Advanced Institute of Science and Technology) ;
- Hyun, Jieum (Urban Robotics Laboratory(URL), Korea Advanced Institute of Science and Technology) ;
- Myung, Hyun (Urban Robotics Laboratory(URL), Korea Advanced Institute of Science and Technology)
- Received : 2018.05.28
- Accepted : 2018.06.14
- Published : 2018.06.25
In image processing and robotic applications, two-dimensional (2D) black and white patterned planar markers are widely used. However, these markers are not detectable in low visibility environment and they are not changeable. This research proposes an active and adaptive marker node, which displays 2D marker patterns using light emitting diode (LED) arrays for easier recognition in the foggy or turbid underwater environments. Because each node is made to blink at a different frequency, active LED marker nodes were distinguishable from each other from a long distance without increasing the size of the marker. We expect that the proposed system can be used in various harsh conditions where the conventional marker systems are not applicable because of low visibility issues. The proposed system is still compatible with the conventional marker as the displayed patterns are identical.
Grant : Development of Disaster Response Robot System for Lifesaving and Supporting Fire Fighters at Complex Disaster Environment
Supported by : Ministry of Trade, Industry & Energy (MOTIE), Ministry of Land, Infrastructure and Transport (MOLIT)
- Choi, S., Myeong, W., Jeong, Y. and Myung, H. (2015), "A vision-based 6-DOF displacement measurement method for assemble of PC bridge structures using a planar marker", Proceedings of the International Conference on Robot Intelligence Technology (RiTA), Bucheon, Korea, December.
- Choi, S., Myeong, W. and Myung, H. (2016), "A vision-based 6-DOF displacement measurement system using multiple planar markers for precise assemble of PC members", Proceedings of the International Conference on Control, Automation and Systems (ICCAS), Gyeongju, Korea, October.
- Han, K., Lee, Y. and Choi, H. (2012), "Vision based framework for autonomous docking of underwater robots using multi-purpose self-similar landmark", J. CICS, 4, 71-72.
- Jang, I., Won, D., Baek, W., Shin, C. and Lee, S. (2015), "Turbidity characteristics of Korean port area", J. Kor. Acad-Industr. Soc., 16(12), 8889-8895.
- Jung, J., Lee, S. and Myung, H. (2015), "Indoor mobile robot localization and mapping based on ambient magnetic fields and aiding radio sources", IEEE T. Instrum. Meas., 64(7), 1922-1934. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIM.2014.2366273
- Jung, J., Li, J., Choi, H. and Myung, H. (2017), "Localization of AUVs using visual information of underwater structures and artificial landmarks", Intel. Serv. Robotics, 10(1), 67-76.
- Jung, S., Koo, J., Jung, K., Kim, H. and Myung, H. (2016), "Vision-based autonomous landing system of an unmanned aerial vehicle on a moving vehicle", J. Kor. Robotics Soc., 11(4), 262-269. https://doi.org/10.7746/jkros.2016.11.4.262
- Kim, K., Choi, D., Lim, H., Kim, H. and Jeon, J.S. (2016), "Vision marker-based in situ examination of bacterial growth in liquid culture media", Sensors, 16(12), 2179. https://doi.org/10.3390/s16122179
- Lee, P., Jeon, B. and Kim, S. (2003), "Visual servoing for underwater docking of an autonomous underwater vehicle with one camera", Proceedings of the OCEANS 2003, San Diego, California, U.S.A., September.
- Li, J. and Liu, H. (2016), "Design optimization of amazon robotics", Autom. Control Intell. Syst., 4(2), 48-52. https://doi.org/10.11648/j.acis.20160402.17
- Shin, J., Jeon, H., Choi, S., Kim, Y. and Myung, H. (2016), "Laser pose calibration of visp for precise 6-dof structural displacement monitoring", Smart Struct. Syst., 18(4), 801-818. https://doi.org/10.12989/sss.2016.18.4.801
- Sohn, K. (2013), "A study on the short-range underwater communication using visible LEDs", J. Kor. Soc. Marine Eng., 37(4), 425-430. https://doi.org/10.5916/jkosme.2013.37.4.425
- Toyoura, M., Aruga, H. and Turk, M. (2013), "Detecting markers in blurred and defocused images", Proceedings of the 2013 International Conference on Cyberworlds (CW 2013), Yokohama, Japan, October.