- Volume 16 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
High Accuracy Vision-Based Positioning Method at an Intersection
- Manh, Cuong Nguyen (Department of IT Convergence, Korea National University of Transportation) ;
- Lee, Jaesung (Department of IT Convergence, Korea National University of Transportation)
- Received : 2017.11.05
- Accepted : 2018.01.02
- Published : 2018.06.30
This paper illustrates a vision-based vehicle positioning method at an intersection to support the C-ITS. It removes the minor shadow that causes the merging problem by simply eliminating the fractional parts of a quotient image. In order to separate the occlusion, it firstly performs the distance transform to analyze the contents of the single foreground object to find seeds, each of which represents one vehicle. Then, it applies the watershed to find the natural border of two cars. In addition, a general vehicle model and the corresponding space estimation method are proposed. For performance evaluation, the corresponding ground truth data are read and compared with the vision-based detected data. In addition, two criteria, IOU and DEER, are defined to measure the accuracy of the extracted data. The evaluation result shows that the average value of IOU is 0.65 with the hit ratio of 97%. It also shows that the average value of DEER is 0.0467, which means the positioning error is 32.7 centimeters.
Supported by : Institute for Information & Communications Technology Promotion (IITP)
- US Air Force and the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, "GPS accuracy," [Internet], Available: http://www.gps.gov/systems/gps/performance/accuracy/.
- M. Vargas, S. Toral, J. M. Milla, and F. Barrero, "A shadow removal algorithm for vehicle detection based on reflectance ratio and edge density," in Proceeding of 2010 13th International IEEE Conference on Intelligent Transportation Systems, Madeira Island, Portugal, pp. 1123-1128, 2010. DOI: 10.1109/ITSC.2010.5625112. https://doi.org/10.1109/ITSC.2010.5625112
- W. Y. Chen, "Shadow removal scheme of the traffic scenes using illumination analysis and outer-region deleted strategy," International Journal of Computer, Consumer and Control, vol. 1, no. 2, pp. 50-60, 2012.
- C. T. Lin, C. T. Yang, Y. W. Shou, and T. K. Shen, "An efficient and robust moving shadow removal algorithm and its applications in ITS," EURASIP Journal on Advances in Signal Processing, vol. 2010, article ID. 945130, 2010. DOI: 10.1155/2010/945130. https://doi.org/10.1155/2010/945130
- N. K. Kanhere, S. T. Birchfield, and W. A. Sarasua, "Vehicle segmentation and tracking in the presence of occlusions," Journal of the Transportation Research Board, vol. 1944, pp. 89-97, 2006. DOI: 10.3141/1944-12. https://doi.org/10.1177/0361198106194400112
- G. Jun, J. K. Aggarwal, and M. Gokmen, "Tracking and segmentation of highway vehicles in cluttered and crowded scenes," in Proceeding of IEEE Workshop on Applications of Computer Vision, Copper Mountain, CO, pp. 1-6, 2008. DOI: 10.1109/WACV.2008.4544017. https://doi.org/10.1109/WACV.2008.4544017
- A. Koutsia, T. Semertzidis, K. Dimitropoulos, N. Grammalidis, and K. Georgouleas, "Intelligent traffic monitoring and surveillance with multiple," in Proceeding of International Workshop on Content-Based Multimedia Indexing, London, UK, pp. 125-132, 2008. DOI: 10.1109/CBMI.2008.4564937. https://doi.org/10.1109/CBMI.2008.4564937
- E. Strigel, D. Meissner, and K. Dietmayer, "Vehicle detection and tracking at intersections by fusing multiple camera views," in Proceeding of 2013 IEEE Intelligent Vehicles Symposium (IV), Gold Coast, Australia, pp. 882-887, 2013. DOI: 10.1109/IVS.2013.6629578. https://doi.org/10.1109/IVS.2013.6629578
- N. Malpica, C. Ortiz de Solorzano, J. J. Vaquero, A. Santos, I. Vallcorba, J. M. Garcia-Sagredo, and F. D. Pozo, "Applying watershed algorithms to the segmentation of clustered nuclei," Cytometry Part A, vol. 28, no. 4, pp. 289-297, 1997. DOI: 10.1002/(SICI)1097-0320(19970801)28:4<289::AID-CYTO3>3.0.CO;2-7. https://doi.org/10.1002/(SICI)1097-0320(19970801)28:4<289::AID-CYTO3>3.0.CO;2-7
- D. M. Hobson, R. M. Carter, and Y. Yan, "Rule based concave curvature segmentation for touching rice grains in binary digital images," in Proceeding of IEEE International Instrumentation and Measurement Technology Conference, Singapore, pp. 1685-1689, 2009. DOI: 10.1109/IMTC.2009.5168727. https://doi.org/10.1109/IMTC.2009.5168727
- M. Arie-Nachimson and R. Basri, "Constructing implicit 3D shape models for pose estimation," in Proceedings of 2009 IEEE 12th International Conference on Computer Vision, Kyoto, Japan, pp. 1341-1348, 2009. DOI: 10.1109/ICCV.2009.5459310. https://doi.org/10.1109/ICCV.2009.5459310
- X. Song and R. Nevatia, "A model-based vehicle segmentation method for tracking," in Proceedings of the 10th IEEE International Conference on Computer Vision, Beijing, China, pp. 1124-1131, 2005. DOI: 10.1109/ICCV.2005.11. https://doi.org/10.1109/ICCV.2005.11
- J. Sochor, "Traffic research," [Internet], Available: https://medusa.fit.vutbr.cz/traffic/.
- C. C. Lin and M. S. Wang, "A vision based top-view transformation model for a vehicle parking assistant," Sensors, vol. 12, no. 4, pp. 4431-4446, 2012. DOI: 10.3390/s120404431. https://doi.org/10.3390/s120404431
- 3D CAD Browser, "Audi RS6 Sedan (2015) 3D Model," [Internet], Available: https://www.3dcadbrowser.com/download.aspx?3dmodel=117372.
- K. S. Lee, D. J. Jung, J. S. Lee and H. J. Lee, "Localization and detection on single view based on adaptive multi-plane homography," in Proceeding of the 29th Workshop on Image Processing and Image Understanding, Jeju, Korea, 2017.
- B. A. Renfro, J. Rosenquest, A. Terry, and N. Boeker, "An analysis of global positioning system (GPS) standard positioning system (SPS) performance for 2015," The University of Texas at Austin, Technical Report No. TR-SGL-17-04, 2017.