- Volume 22 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
FINITE ELEMENT DUAL SINGULAR FUNCTION METHODS FOR HELMHOLTZ AND HEAT EQUATIONS
- JANG, DEOK-KYU (DEPARTMENT OF MATHEMATICS, KANGWON NATIONAL UNIVERSITY) ;
- PYO, JAE-HONG (DEPARTMENT OF MATHEMATICS, KANGWON NATIONAL UNIVERSITY)
- Received : 2018.03.16
- Accepted : 2018.06.11
- Published : 2018.06.25
The dual singular function method(DSFM) is a numerical algorithm to get optimal solution including corner singularities for Poisson and Helmholtz equations. In this paper, we apply DSFM to solve heat equation which is a time dependent problem. Since the DSFM for heat equation is based on DSFM for Helmholtz equation, it also need to use Sherman-Morrison formula. This formula requires linear solver n + 1 times for elliptic problems on a domain including n reentrant corners. However, the DSFM for heat equation needs to pay only linear solver once per each time iteration to standard numerical method and perform optimal numerical accuracy for corner singularity problems. Because the Sherman-Morrison formula is rather complicated to apply computation, we introduce a simplified formula by reanalyzing the Sherman-Morrison method.
Supported by : Kangwon National University
- H. Blum and M. Dobrowolski, On ﬁnite element methods for elliptic equations on domains with corners, Computing 28 (1982), 53-63. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF02237995
- M. Bourlard, M. Dauge, M.-S. Lubuma, and S. Nicaise, Coeﬁcients of the singularities for elliptic boundary value problems on domains with conical points III. Finite element methods on polygonal domains, SIAM Numer. Anal. 29 (1992), 136-155. https://doi.org/10.1137/0729009
- Z. Cai and S. Kim, A ﬁnite element method using singular functions for the Poisson equation: Corner singu- larities, SIAM J. Numer. Anal. 39 (2001), 286-299. https://doi.org/10.1137/S0036142999355945
- Z. Cai, S. C. Kim and B. C. Shin, Solution methods for the Poisson equation: corner singularities, SIAM J. SCI. COMPut. 23 (2001), 672-682. https://doi.org/10.1137/S1064827500372778
- H.J. Choi and J.R. Kweon The fourier ﬁnite element method for the corner singularity expansion of the heat equation Computers Math. Applic. 69 (2015), 13-30. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.camwa.2014.11.004
- Gene H. Colub and Charles F. Van Loan Matrix Computations, The John Hopkins University Press (1996).
- M. Djaoua, Equations Integrales pour un Probleme Singulier dans le Plan, These de Troisieme Cycle, Universite Pierre et Marie Curie, Paris, 1977.
- M. Dobrowolski, Numerical approximation of elliptic interface and corner problems, Habilitation-Schrift, Bonn, 1981.
- G. J. Fix, S. Gulati and G. I. Wakoff, On the use of singular functions with ﬁnite elements approximations, J. Comput. Phy. 13 (1973), 209-228. https://doi.org/10.1016/0021-9991(73)90023-5
- S.C. Kim, J.S. Lee and J.H. Pyo A ﬁnite element method using singular functions for Helmholtz equations: Part I, J. KSIAM 12 (2008), 13-23.