- Volume 2 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Performance Prediction of a Laser-guide Star Adaptive Optics System for a 1.6 m Telescope
- Lee, Jun Ho (Department of Optical Engineering, Kongju National University) ;
- Lee, Sang Eun (Electro-Optics Research Center, LigNex1) ;
- Kong, Young Jun (Electro-Optics Research Center, LigNex1)
- Received : 2018.05.10
- Accepted : 2018.05.24
- Published : 2018.06.25
We are currently investigating the feasibility of a 1.6 m telescope with a laser-guide star adaptive optics (AO) system. The telescope, if successfully commissioned, would be the first dedicated adaptive optics observatory in South Korea. The 1.6 m telescope is an f/13.6 Cassegrain telescope with a focal length of 21.7 m. This paper first reviews atmospheric seeing conditions measured over a year in 2014~2015 at the Bohyun Observatory, South Korea, which corresponds to an area from 11.6 to 21.6 cm within 95% probability with regard to the Fried parameter of 880 nm at a telescope pupil plane. We then derive principal seeing conditions such as the Fried parameter and Greenwood frequency for eight astronomical spectral bands (V/R/I/J/H/K/L/M centered at 0.55, 0.64, 0.79, 1.22, 1.65, 2.20, 3.55, and
Supported by : LigNex1 (Ltd)
- J. M. Beckers, "Adaptive optics for astronomy: principles, performance, and applications," Annu. Rev. Astron. Astrophys. 31, 13-62 (1993). https://doi.org/10.1146/annurev.aa.31.090193.000305
- R. K. Tyson, Principles of Adaptive Optics (CRC Press, Boca Raton, FL, USA, 2015).
- S. S. Olivier, D. T. Gavel, H. W. Friedman, C. E. Max, J. R. An, K. Avicola, B. J. Bauman, J. M. Brase, E. W. Campbell, C. J. Carrano, J. B. Cooke, G. J. Freeze, E. L. Gates, V. K. Kanz, T. C. Kuklo, B. A. Macintosh, M. J. Newman, E. L. Pierce, K. E. Waltjen, and J. A. Watson, "Improved performance of the laser guide star adaptive optics system at Lick Observatory," Proc. SPIE 3762, 2-7 (1999).
- W. C. Rao, Y. Bo, C. Li, M. Li, X, Zhang, A. Zhang, C. Guan, L. Zhou, S. Chen, X. Hao, W. Ma, and Y. Zhang, "A sodium guide star adaptive optics system for the 1.8 meter telescope," Proc. SPIE 8447, 84474K (2012).
- C. d'Orgeville and G. J. Fetzer, "Four generations of sodium guide star lasers for adaptive optics in astronomy and space situational awareness," Proc. SPIE 9909, 99090R (2016).
- R. K. Tyson, "Adaptive optics system performance approximations for atmospheric turbulence correction," Opt. Eng. 29, 1165-1173 (1990). https://doi.org/10.1117/12.55711
- D. T. Gavel, J. R. Morris, and R. G. Vernon, "Systematic design and analysis of laser-guide-star adaptive-optics systems for large telescopes," J. Opt. Soc. Am. A 11, 914-924 (1994). https://doi.org/10.1364/JOSAA.11.000914
- B. W. Frazier, M. Smith, and R. K. Tyson, "Performance of a compact adaptive-optics system," Appl. Opt. 43, 4281-4287 (2004). https://doi.org/10.1364/AO.43.004281
- M. A. van Dam, D. Le Mignant, and B. A. Macintosh, "Performance of the Keck Observatory adaptive-optics system," Appl. Opt. 43, 5458-5467 (2004). https://doi.org/10.1364/AO.43.005458
- J. H. Lee, S. Shin, G. N. Park, H. Rhee, and H. Yang, "Atmospheric turbulence simulator for adaptive optics evaluation on an optical test bench," Curr. Opt. Photon. 1, 107-112 (2017). https://doi.org/10.3807/COPP.2017.1.2.107
- J. H. Lee, B. C. Bigelow, D. D. Walker, A. P. Doel, and R. G. Bingham, "Why adaptive secondaries?," Publ. Astron. Soc. Pacific 112, 97-107 (2000). https://doi.org/10.1086/316496
- E. Hecht, Optics (Addison Wesley, San Francisco, CA, USA 2002).
- D. L. Fried, "Optical resolution through a randomly inhomogeneous medium for very long and very short exposures," J. Opt. Soc. Am. 56, 1372-1379 (1966). https://doi.org/10.1364/JOSA.56.001372
- F. Roddier, "The effects of atmospheric turbulence in optical astronomy," Prog. Opt. 19, 281-376 (1981).
- F. Roddier, J. M. Gilli, and G. Lund, "On the origin of speckle boiling and its effects in stellar speckle interferometry," J. Opt. 13, 263-271 (1982). https://doi.org/10.1088/0150-536X/13/5/002
- D. P. Greenwood, "Bandwidth specification for adaptive optics system," J. Opt. Soc. Am. 67, 390-393 (1977). https://doi.org/10.1364/JOSA.67.000390
- G. Tyler, "Bandwidth considerations for tracking through turbulence," J. Opt. Soc. Am. 11, 358-367 (1994). https://doi.org/10.1364/JOSAA.11.000358
- R. R. Parenti, "Adaptive optics for astronomy," Lincoln Lab. J. 5, 93-114 (1992).
- J. H. Lee, S. J. Ro, K. Kim, T. Butterley, R. Wilson, Y. Choi, and S. Lee, "Robotic SLODAR development for seeing evaluations at the Bohyunsan Observatory," Advanced Maui Optical and Space Surveillance Technologies Conference (2015).
- R. W. Wilson, "SLODAR: measuring optical turbulence altitude with a Shack-Hartmann wavefront sensor," Mon. Not. R. Astron. Soc. 337, 103-108 (2002). https://doi.org/10.1046/j.1365-8711.2002.05847.x
- T. Butterley, R. W. Wilson, and M. Sarazin, "Determination of the profile of atmospheric optical turbulence strength from SLODAR data," Mon. Not. R. Astron. Soc. 369, 835-845 (2006). https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2966.2006.10337.x
- J. Vernin and F. Roddier, "Experimental determination of two-dimensional spatiotemporal power spectra of stellar light scintillation Evidence for a multilayer structure of the air turbulence in the upper troposphere," J. Opt. Soc. Am. 63, 270-273 (1973). https://doi.org/10.1364/JOSA.63.000270
- B. Garcia-Lorenzo, A. Eff-Darwich, J. J. Fuensalida, and J. A. Castro-Almazan, "Estimation of adaptive optics parameters from wind speed: results for the Teide Observatory," Proc. SPIE 7476, 74760F (2009).
- B. Garcia-Lorenzo, A. Eff-Darwich, J. J. Fuensalida, and J. A. Castro-Almazan, "Adaptive optics parameters connection to wind speed at the Teide Observatory: corrigendum," Mon. Notices Royal Astron. 414, 801-809 (2011). https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2966.2011.17787.x
- C. S. Gardner, B. M. Welsh, and L. A. Thopson, "Design and performance analysis of adaptive optical telescopes using laser guide stars," Proc. IEEE 78, 1721-1743 (1990). https://doi.org/10.1109/5.63300
- R. Flicker, "Efficient first-order performance estimation for high-order adaptive optics systems," Astron. Astrophys. 405, 1177-1189 (2003). https://doi.org/10.1051/0004-6361:20030653
- J. W. Hardy, Adaptive optics for astronomical telescopes (Oxford University Press, New York, USA 1998).
- https://www.alpao.com/adaptive-optics/deformable-mirrors.html (1 May. 2018).
- https://www.physikinstrumente.com/en/products/parallel-kinematic-hexapods/hexapods-with-motor-screw-drives/h-824-6-axis-hexapod-700815/ (1 May. 2018).
- http://www.axiomoptics.com/llc/ocam%C2%B2k/ (1 May. 2018).
- http://www.nuvucameras.com/products/ (1 May. 2018).
- M. S. Belen'kii, "Tilt angular correlation and tilt sensing techniques with a laser guide star," Proc. SPIE 2956, 206-217 (1997).
- C. M. Correia and J. Teixeira, "Anti-aliasing Wiener filtering for wave-front reconstruction in the spatial-frequency domain for high-order astronomical adaptive-optics systems," J. Opt. Soc. Am. A 31, 2763-2774 (2014). https://doi.org/10.1364/JOSAA.31.002763