- Volume 4 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
The Influence of Mother's and Father's Conflict Resolution Styles on Adolescents' Use of Swear Words: The Mediating Role of Aggression
부와 모의 갈등해결양식이 청소년의 욕설사용에 미치는 영향: 공격성의 매개역할
- Received : 2018.02.16
- Accepted : 2018.04.09
- Published : 2018.05.31
The study is to find out the influence of mother's and father's conflict resolution styles(aggressive and compromising) on adolescents' use of swear words. This study also investigates whether aggression has a mediated effect in terms of the relationship between mother's and father's conflict resolution styles and their children's use of swear words. To this end, self-report type of questionnaire was conducted to 570 students who attend at 6 different middle schools located in Gyeongnam Province. To the exclusion of incomplete and insincere answers, 477 were selected as the raw data of the research. The summarization of the results is as follows: First, the aggressive type of conflict resolution style with mothers has positive correlation with the students' use of swear words. When the conflict resolution style with mothers gets aggressive, their children's use of swear word increases accordingly. Second, it is confirmed that aggression has a mediated effect when it comes to teenagers' use of swear words triggered by mother's aggressive conflict resolution styles and father's aggressive conflict resolution styles. Therefore, if the conflict between children and parents is not appropriately resolved, the children's aggression accumulates and thereby children's use of swear words increases.
본 연구에서는 부와 모와의 갈등해결양식(공격적 절충적)이 청소년의 욕설사용에 미치는 영향과 부와 모와의 갈등해결양식과 청소년의 욕설사용과의 관계에서 공격성이 매개효과가 있는지를 알아보고자 하였다. 본 연구를 수행하기 위해 G도의 3개시 소재 6개 학교 중학생 570명을 대상으로 설문조사를 실시하였으며, 최종적으로 477부를 선정하여 연구 자료로 사용하였다. 주요 결과는 다음과 같다. 첫째, 모와의 공격적 갈등해결양식이 청소년의 욕설사용에 정적인 영향을 미치는 것으로 나타났다. 둘째, 부와 모와의 갈등해결양식과 청소년의 욕설사용과의 관계에서 공격성이 매개효과를 가지는 지에 대해서 알아본 결과, 부와 모의 공격적 갈등해결양식과 욕설사용과의 관계에서 공격성이 매개효과가 있는 것으로 나타났다. 따라서 청소년과 부모사이의 갈등이 적절하게 해결되지 못하면 공격성을 축적시켜서 욕설사용이 증가되는 것으로 볼 수 있다. 본 연구결과는 청소년과 부와 모와의 공격적 갈등해결양식이 공격성을 상승시키는 방식을 통하여 간접적으로 청소년의 욕설사용을 촉발함을 확인하였다는 데에 그 의의가 있으며, 이 결과가 현재 사회의 큰 문제가 되고 있는 학교폭력과 연관 될 수 있는 청소년 자녀의 욕설사용을 감소시킬 수 있는 부모교육 프로그램의 개발의 기초자료로 활용 될 수 있기를 기대한다.
- G. S. A. Byun, "A study on computer communication language", Unpublished master's thesis, Wonkwang University, 2004.
- D. H. Heo, "A study on the present condition of the use of teenagers' abusive words and moral educational methods to remedy", Unpublished master's thesis, Ewha Womans University, 2013.
- K. H. Jang, "A research on adolescence language use", Ministry of Culture, Sports & Tourism, 2010.
- J. H. So, "The analysis of the impulse and self-concept and the frequency of adolescents' usage of slang", Unpublished master's thesis, Suwon University. 2010.
- K. N. Back, "On-going status on juveniles' using languages and a study on ways of improvement: Focusing on internet jargon and living languages", Unpublished master's thesis, Catholic University, 2001.
- The Dong-A Ilbo, "The results of the first school violence survey...Seven out of 10 students were 'elementary school students", http://news.donga.com/3/all/20171011/86694715/2#csidx345c25040ef8b7d8dc2e5f407a950f0dp, (2017.10.11.).
- J. H. Kim, "The effects of competencies for democratic citizenship and linguistic environment on swearing amongst adolescents", Studies on Korean Youth, Vol. 23, No. 4, pp. 159-188, 2012.
- E. S. Park, "A Study on the daily stress and the adaptation to school life according to the actual usage of abusive use of middle school students and frequency of swearing", Unpublished master's thesis, Ajou University. 2011
- J. H. So, "The analysis of the impulse and self-concept and the frequency of adolescents' usage of slang", Unpublished master's thesis, Suwon University, 2010.
- B. H. Son, "Difference in self-esteem, stress and depression according to actual condition and frequency of using abusive languages in middle school students", Unpublished master's thesis, Keimyung University, 2010.
- H. Y. Oh, "The Relationships among use of offensive words, peer approval needs, self-acceptance, and school adjustment of middle school students", Unpublished master's thesis, ChunbBuk University, 2012.
- S. L. An, "The relationship of parent-child communication and marital conflict on the use of abusive language in middle school student", Unpublished master's thesis, Chunbuk University. 2013.
- J. Y. Kim, "The effects of adolescent's self - control and maternal behavior on adolescent's aggression", Unpublished master's thesis, Dongguk University, 2012.
- I. K. Park, "Adolescents' aggression and emotional regulation ability according to parent-adolescent communication", Unpublished master's thesis, Hanyang University, 2010.
- H. J. Park. "The relationship between parents' communication style perceived by child and the child's empathy and aggression", Unpublished master's thesis, Korea University. 2014.
- Y. M. Son, "The relationship between perceived communication patterns of parents and perceived emotional competence and stress coping strategies: Centered on middle school students", Unpublished master's thesis, Korea University, 2009.
- C. Y. Song, "The mediating effects of self-control on the relationships between parent-adolescent communication and aggression in the middle school students", Unpublished master's thesis, Dankook University, 2014.
- S. R. Han, "The parent-child relationship, child's violent tendencies, and exposure to school violence, and their co-relationship by gender", Unpublished master's thesis, Ewha Womans University, 2007.
- Y. K. Kim, "The relationships of parent-child communication patterns to academic self-concept and problem behavior", Unpublished master's thesis, Korea Nation University Education, 1992.
- M. S. Chon, "The effects of maternal psychological control, self-control and maladaptive emotion regulation on middle school students' aggression", Unpublished master's thesis, Keimyung University, 2012.
- Y. S. Park, Y. C. Kim, "Influence of environmental and psychological factors on school violence : Comparative analysis of high school students and adolescents under institutional supervision", Korean Educational Psychology Association, Vol. 15, No. 2, pp. 25-52, 2001.
- C. A. Anderson, B. J. Bushman, "Human aggression", Annual Review of Psychology, Vol. 53, pp. 27-51, February 2002. https://doi.org/10.1146/annurev.psych.53.100901.135231
- J. Dill, C. A. Anderson, "Effects of the justified and unjustified frustration on aggression", Aggressive Behavior, Vol. 21, No. 5, pp. 359-369, 1995. https://doi.org/10.1002/1098-2337(1995)21:5<359::AID-AB2480210505>3.0.CO;2-6
- H. Y. Seo, "The Influence of perceived homeroom teacher's conflict resolution styles on classroom climate and class healthiness by elementary school students", Unpublished master's thesis, Kyungnam University, 2010.
- J. H. Kwon, E. H. Lee, "The predicting game addiction in adolescents: An application of discriminant function analysis", The Korean journal of health psychology, Vol. 10, No. 1, pp. 95-112, 2005.
- T. K. Kim, K. H. Jang, J. S. Kim, S. H. Lee, P. Y. Lee, H. J. Jun, "A research on adolescents' language use", The Sociolinguistic Journal of Korea, Vol. 19, No. 1, pp. 23-58, 2011.
- H. H. Kim, "The mediating effect of swearing habit to relationships between abusive behavior and bullying in early adolescence", Korea Institute of Youth Facility & Environment, Vol. 11, No. 2, pp. 83-91, 2013.
- B. Verplanken, S. Orbell, "Reflections on past behavior: A self-report index of habit strength", Journal of Social Applied Psychology, Vol. 33, No. 6, pp. 1313-1330, May 2003. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1559-1816.2003.tb01951.x
- T. D. Little, W. A. Cunningham, G. Shahar, K. F. Widaman, "To parecl or not to parcel: Exploring the question, weighing the merits", Structural Equation Modeling, Vol. 9, No. 2, pp. 151-173, 2005. https://doi.org/10.1207/S15328007SEM0902_1
- G. M. Maruyama, "Basics of structural equation modeling", Thousand Oaks: Sage Publication, 1998.
- S. H. Hong, "The criteria for selecting appropriate fit indices in structural equation modeling and their rationales", Korean Journal of Clinical Psychology, Vol. 19, No. 1, pp. 161-177, 2000.
- J. B. Kim, "The relationships between adverse mother-child communication and adolescents' problem behavior", Unpublished master's thesis, Konkuk University, 1994.
- E. J. Shin, "The effects mother-adolescent's communication types percevied by middle school students on their conflict disclosures and problem behaviors", Unpublished master's thesis, Chonnam National University, 1997.
- Sin-Bok Lee, Jun-Hwan Moon, C. Park, "A study on spontaneous improvement plan for secondary school students: based on self-discrimination theory", The Journal of the Convergence on Culture Technology, Vol. 3, No. 4, pp. 43-52, 2017. https://doi.org/10.17703/JCCT.2017.3.1.43