- Volume 35 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
Cupping Therapy Combined with Rehabilitation for the Treatment of Radial Palsy: a Case Report
- Benli, Ali Ramazan (Department of Family Medicine, Faculty of Medicine, Karabuk University) ;
- Senay, Demir Yazici (Department of Physical Examination and Rehabilitation, Aydin Ataturk State Hospital) ;
- Koroglu, Mustafa (Department of Hematology, Faculty of Medicine, Karabuk University) ;
- Mutlu, Tansel (Department of Orthopedics, KBU Karabuk Educational and Research Hospital) ;
- Erturhan, Selman (Family Medicine, Yildizeli State Hospital) ;
- Ogun, Muhammet Nur (Department of Neurology, Faculty of Medicine, Abant Izzet Baysal University) ;
- Sunay, Didem (Department of Family Medicine, Faculty of Medicine, Karabuk University)
- Received : 2016.12.29
- Accepted : 2017.02.06
- Published : 2018.02.28
This case report demonstrates the beneficial effects of cupping therapy (CT) in a 35-year-old man who is diagnosed with a fracture of the radial shaft due to a motorcycle accident. One year after the treatment started, pseudoarthrosis developed in the radius and an autogenous iliac bone graft was performed. However, extension dysfunction in the wrist became evident. After another 6 months of physical therapy and rehabilitation, no improvements were observed. Therefore, CT and adjunctive electrostimulation were performed, after 30 days of treatment, marked recovery of muscle function and full wrist extension were observed, as determined by electromyography and a grade 5/5 on the Medical Research Council power of wrist extension scale. The results in this case study suggest that CT in conjunction with adjunctive electrostimulation, may accelerate functional recovery from postoperative radial palsy, and provide a useful alternative treatment in this situation.
- Cao H, Han M, Li X, Dong S, Shang Y, Wang Q, et al. Clinical research evidence of cupping therapy in China: a systematic literature review. BMC Complement Altern Med 2010;10:70-80. https://doi.org/10.1186/1472-6882-10-70
- Ahmadi A, Schwebel DC, Rezaei M. The efficacy of wet-cupping in the treatment of tension and migraine headache. Am J Chin Med 2008;36:37-44. https://doi.org/10.1142/S0192415X08005564
- Farahmand SK, Gang LZ, Saghebi SA, Mohammadi M, Mohammadi S, Mohammadi G, et al. The effects of wet cupping on coronary risk factors in patients with metabolic syndrome: a randomized controlled trial. Am J Chin Med 2012;40:269-277.
- Bodner G, Buchberger W, Schocke M, Bale R, Huber B, Harpf C, et al. Radial nerve palsy associated with humeral shaft fracture: evaluation with US-initial experience 1. Radiology 2001;219:811-816. https://doi.org/10.1148/radiology.219.3.r01jn09811
- Bichsel U, Nyffeler RW. Secondary radial nerve palsy after minimally invasive plate osteosynthesis of a distal humeral shaft fracture. Case Rep Orthop 2015;2015:241968.
- Korompilias AV, Lykissas MG, Kostas-Agnantis IP, Vekris MD, Soucacos PN, Beris AE. Approach to radial nerve palsy caused by humerus shaft fracture: Is primary exploration necessary? Injury 2013;44:323-326.
- Moed BR, Kellam J, Foster R, Tile M, Hansen S. Immediate internal fixation of open fractures of the diaphysis of the forearm. J Bone Joint Surg Am 1986;68:1008-1017. https://doi.org/10.2106/00004623-198668070-00007
- Bostman O, Bakalim G, Vainionpaa S, Wiippula E, Patiala H, Rokkanen P. Radial palsy in shaft fracture of the humerus. Acta Orthop Scand 1986;57:316-319. https://doi.org/10.3109/17453678608994400
- Ristic S, Strauch RJ, Rosenwasser MP. The assessment and treatment of nerve dysfunction after trauma around the elbow. Clin Orthop Relat Res 2000;370:138-153. https://doi.org/10.1097/00003086-200001000-00013
- Brown P. The time factor in surgery of upper-extremity peripheral nerve injury. Clin Orthop Relat Res 1970;68:14-21.
- Moss JP, Bynum DK. Diaphyseal fractures of the radius and ulna in adults. Hand Clinics 2007;23:143-151.
- Michalsen A, Bock S, Ludtke R, Rampp T, Baecker M, Bachmann J, et al. Effects of traditional cupping therapy in patients with carpal tunnel syndrome: a randomized controlled trial. J Pain 2009;10:601-608.