- Volume 34 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
Relationship between Le Corbusier's Errazuris House Project and Antonin Raymond's Karuizawa Villa
르 코르뷔지에의 에라즈리스 주택계획안과 안토닌 레이몬드의 카루이자와 별장의 상관성에 관한 연구
- Received : 2017.07.13
- Accepted : 2017.12.08
- Published : 2018.01.30
Raymond, who adopted Le Corbusier's Errazuris House Project, built Karuizawa Villa by incorporating Japan's aspiration for Western modern architecture and strong convictions regarding the preservation of traditional culture heritage, which were prevalent in Japan at the time. Despite the controversy over his plagiarism, Karuizawa Villa shows several unique architectural characteristics. First, in terms of the arrangement and access system, the villa has a common space that affords a view of the lake by accessing from the mountain side. Second, in terms of spatial composition, the common space is connected to the mesonnette by placing a trail to enable enjoyment of natural scenery. In particular, personal space is planned in the shape of a cross by connecting several surfaces to the outside in order to secure enjoyment of the natural environment. Lastly, in the aspect of structure and materials, both architectural buildings adopted masonry by using natural stone as well as building materials suitable for each region and climate by using logs in constructing the main columns and beams. Through Karuizawa Villa, Raymond is considered to have established his own style by combining the standard of Western modern architecture and the elements of Japanese traditional architecture while valuing local architectural technology.
- Matsukuma, H. (2016). Far away from Le Corbusier, Misuzu Shobo, 28, 30, 30-31
- Lee, K. Y. & Seo, C. S. (2004.10). An Influence of Japanese Culture on F. L. Wright's Organic Architecture, Architecture & Urban Research Information Center, v.13 n. 5, 13
- Lee, K. S. (2014). Le Corbusier - The architect of light and space, Kimoondang, 96-97
- Gloaguen. Y. (2011.03). A Study on the Expression of Natural Relations in Antonin Raymond's Housing Architecture, Center for Comparative Japanese Studies Annual Bulletin 27, 138, 140-141, 142, 143
- Gloaguen. Y. (2015.09). On the Design of House before the World War II by Antonin Raymond - A case of Eastern Europe uniting, Center for Language Studies, Kanagawa University, 33
- Fujisaki, K. (2008). Masters of Japanese Modern, Casa Brutus. 41.
- Archi Media. (2009). Junzo Sakakura Architecture : Living in Modernism : Housing, Furniture and Design. Echelle-1. 188-189
- X-Knowledge. (2011). Le Corbusier-Architecture. Furniture.Human.Record of all travel, X-Knowledge. 188