- Volume 4 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
The Relation among Experience of Verbal Abuse, Emotional Labor, Emotional Intelligence, Social Support and Turnover Intention of Hospital Nurses.
병원간호사의 언어폭력 경험, 감정노동, 감성지능 및 사회적 지지와 이직의도와의 관계
- Park, An-Na (Department of Nursing Science, Graduate School of Nursing, Sungshin University)
- 박안나 (성신여자대학교 대학원 간호학과)
- Received : 2018.11.30
- Accepted : 2018.12.23
- Published : 2018.12.31
The purpose of this study is to understand the relation among experience of verbal abuse, emotional labor, emotional intelligence, social support and turnover intention of hospital nurses. The survey was conducted with 189 hospital nurses working at general hospital in the city of S. The data was collected by using structured questionnaires as research tools from November 17, 2015 to November 27, 2015. The collected data was analyzed by using SPSS ver. 18.0 program. As a result of the correlation analysis between the nurse 's experience of verbal abuse, emotional labor, emotional intelligence, social support and turnover intention, the turnover intention of the nurse was a significantly positive correlation between the experiences of verbal abuse from the doctor, nurses, patients, and the caregiver and the emotional labor. Also, There is a significantly negative correlation between emotional intelligence and social support. In order to identify the factors influencing the turnover intention of the subjects, multiple regression analysis was performed. The statistically significant variables were emotional labor & the ER in the working department.
- Health Insurance Review & Assessment Service, www.hira.or.kr
- S.H.Lee and S.E.Chung, "Nurses's Experience of Verbal Violence in Hospital Setting", The Journal of Korean Nursing Administration Academy, Vol.13, No.4, pp.526-536, 2007.
- T.S.Kim and J.I.Kim, "Violence Episodes and Turnover Among Clinical Nurses", The Journal of Korean Nursing Administration Academic Society, Vol.10, No.4, pp.427-436, 2004.
- Korean Institute of Criminology, http://www.kic.re.kr, 2010.
- H.J.Son, "Verbal violence experienced by hospital nurses and consequent emotional reactions and job stress", Master's Thesis, Sungshin University, Seoul, 2010.
- Carol Brewer, "Nurses Report Verbal Abuse Common, Related to Work Environment", 2013.
- Nursing times, "over 90% of nurses experience violence or verbal abuse", 4 Feb, 2010.
- S.Celik, Y.Celik, I.Agirbas and O.Ugurluoglu, "Verbal and physical abuse against nurses in Turkey", International Nursing Review, Vol.54, No.4, pp.359-366, 2007. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1466-7657.2007.00548.x
- M.Michelle Rowe and H.Sherlock, "Stress and Verbal abuse in nursing: do burned out nurses eat their young. Jounal of Nursing Management", Vol.13, No.3, pp.242-248, 2005. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2834.2004.00533.x
- D.Hills, "Relationships between aggression management trainig, perceived self efficacy and rural general hospital nurses' experiences of patient aggression", Contemporary Nurse, Vol.31, No.1, pp.20-31, 2008. https://doi.org/10.5172/conu.622.214.171.124
- K.S.Er, H.K.Hur, K.K.Kim, Y.J.Cho, E.H.Kim and S.J.Kim, "The Relationship between Job Characteristics, Job Satisfaction, and Intents to Leave among Hospital Nurses", Journal of Korean Clinical Nursing Research, Vol.9, No.2, pp.81-92, 2004.
- E.J.Oh, "Relations among verbal abuse, job satisfaction, burn out and turn over in nurses working in acute hospitals", Master's Thesis, Hanyang University, Seoul, 2010.
- Korean Health and Medical Worker's Union, http://www.bogun.nodong.org, 2010
- H.J.Heo, "Experience of Verbal Violence, Burnout and Turnover Intention of Nurses in Small and Medium sized Hospitals", Master's Thesis, Keimyung University, Daegu, 2016.
- J.H.Ham, "The Relation among Nurses' experience of verbal Abuse, Social Support and Their Turnover Intention", Master's Thesis, Ajou University, Suwon, 2013.
- H.S.Kim, "An Association among Verbal Abuse, Social Support and Turnover Intention for Special Unit Nurses in a Hospital", Annals of Occupational and Environmental Medicine, Vol.21, No.4, 2009.
- E.H.Park, "An influence of emotional labor, emotional intelligence, and social support of emergency room nurse on turnover intention", Master's Thesis, Chodang University, Muan, 2015.
- S.H.Kim and M.A.Lee, "Effects of Emotional Labor and Communication Competence on Turnover Intention in Nurses", The Journal of Korean Nursing Administration Academic Society, Vol.20, No.3, pp.332-341, 2014.
- Y.J.Song, "(A) study on the effect of emotional hardship on job satisfaction and turnover of nurses", Master's Thesis, Catholic University, 2011.
- S.M.Park, "(The) Effect of Emotional Intelligence in the Relationship between Emotional Labor and Turnover Intentions of Nurses in General Hospitals", Master's Thesis, Sunchon National University, Sunchon, 2013.
- S.J.Han, "Influence of Clinical Nurses' Emotional Intelligence on their Career Commitment and Turnover Intention : Moderating Role of Career Commitment", International Journal of Contents, Vol.11, No.7, pp.418-425, 2011.
- Y.K.Kwak, "Emotional Labor, Emotional Intelligence, Health Promotion Behavior and Turnover Intention in Hospital Nurses", Master's Thesis, Chodang University, Muan, 2014.
- J.Y.Hwang, "Verbal Abuse and Responses of Experienced Operating Room Nurses", Master's Thesis, Yonsei University, Seoul, 2008.
- K.D.Nam, "A Study on the Development of Verbal Abuse scale for Operating room Nurses", The Journal of Korean Nursing Administration Academic Society, Vol.11, No.2, pp.159-172, 2005.
- J.K.Ku, "The effect of verbal abuses on casino dealers' burnout, job satisfaction, and employee turnover-Focusing on the moderating effect of anger control mechanism-", Doctoral Thesis, Kyonggi University, Suwon, 2007.
- M.O.Yoo, "Influences of Verbal Abuse on Job Stress and Organizational Commitment of Nurses", Master's Thesis, Chungju National University, Chungju, 2011.
- H.W.Jung, "(An) Empirical study on the effect of emotional intelligence on organizational effectiveness", Doctoral Thesis, Pusan National University, Busan, 2007.
- Y.R.Kim, "A Study on the Turnover Intention of the Oncology Nurse", Master's Thesis, Chonnam National University, Gwangju, 2007.
- Y.O.Kim, "The Influence of Verbal Abuse on Job Stress and Turnover Intension of Nurse: The Special Department and General Ward", Master's Thesis, Gachon University, Seongnam, 2016.
- M.Y.Kang, "The Effects of Verbal Abuse Experience of Clinical Nurses on Job Commitment and Turnover Intention", Master's Thesis, Changwon National University, Changwon, 2015.
- N.G.Kim, "Verbal Violences and Turnover Intentions Experienced by Intensive Care Unit Nurses", Master's Thesis, The Catholic University, 2013.
- H.J.Bae, "A Study on Verbal Violence Experience, Job Stress and Turnover Intention among Operating Room Nurses", Master's Thesis, Eulji University, Daejeon, 2012.
- J.N.Park, "An Emprical study on the Relationships between the OPD nurse's verbal violence experience, job satisfaction and turnover intention", Master's Thesis, Catholic University, 2016
- H.Y.Ahn, S.Y.Kim and H.S.Kim, "Violence Experiences of Clinical Nurses and Nurse Aids in Hospitals", Korean Journal of Occupational Health Nursing, Vol.17, No.1, pp.76-85, 2008.
- A.R.Bae, "The Relationships among Verbal Abuse Experience, Emotional Response, Coping and Emotional Intelligence in Hospital Nurses", Master's Thesis, Gyeongsang National University, Jinju, 2012.
- J.H.Choi, "Relationship between nurse's emotional intelligence, communication competency and organizational commitment", Master's Thesis, Ajou University, Suwon, 2010.
- D.W.Baek, "The Effects of Social Support and Emotional Intelligence in the Relationship between Emotional Labor and Burnout among Clinical Nurses", Master's Thesis, ChungAng University, Seoul, 2012.